USB attached drive keeps dropping off until I reboot the router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

USB attached drive keeps dropping off until I reboot the router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
59 Reply
Re:USB attached drive keeps dropping off until I reboot the router
2020-12-04 02:31:26

@jsphoto 

Hello,

This case has been escalated to our engineers, and they will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.                      

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-12-11 17:30:35

@SirDigital 

I have this same problem using my TP Link router

hardware: Archer AX-50 router version 1.0

Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037(5553)

Drops access to 8 TB Seagare Backup Plus Hub plugged into the USB 3.0 slot.

Does not show up in my USB  Storage Device section. I can't rescan either, doesn't find it. I have to hard reboot the seagate hard drive for the router to find it again.

Options
2020-12-11 18:09:08

@Hawaii-5-0 That is far worse than most here are seeing. You might want to connect your drive to your computer and make sure power saving features are turned off. The drive should be setup so that it never goes to sleep. Mine always shows in the router but I have to rescan for it anyway and sometime click on the light bulb symbol and then click on it again when it shows disabled to re-enable it so that it then is accessable on the network. It seems to effect my Windows 10 computer access more than on my ShieldTV access so I am leaning towards and issue with the old SMB1.0 that tp-link is using. They need to upgrade the firmware so that is supports newer V2 or 3

Options
2020-12-11 19:11:16

@Akore 

Thanks for the suggestion but my drive is set up to remain available at all times. It was working perfectly until several weeks ago. On a side note I actually purchased the AX11000 to replace a Linksys router I had which only supported SMBv1. 

Options
2020-12-11 20:48:56

@Akore , thanks for reply. Yes, my power saving mode is turned off- so it should never go to sleep , so i don't know why it keeps dropping. I also believe my router has SMB v.1 which is very painful as I can't access the usb drive from my chromebook which i believe uses SMBv2..... Do you know how to find out what SMB version the router is using?  

Also, TP Link need to figure out how to name their routers, my router box says both AX3000 and Archer AX50... 

Options
2020-12-11 22:00:33

Only from what tp-link tells us about the router and the SMB version used, there is nothing under settings that tells you what the SMB version is, at least not on the Archer C1200.

I did just get a notice on my C1200 about a new firmware version and just installed it. Will see if it helps with this issue.

Options
2020-12-16 12:27:39

@Hawaii-5-0 

Ensure this 8 TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub is working stably when you plug it directly into one of your computer.

Please also confirm how do you use the 8 TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub via the AX50, via SMB or FTP? Does this backup hub have its own power source? Ensure the power supply is sufficient on it.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2020-12-16 23:46:46

@Kevin_Z  Hi Kevin, the Seagate backup plus hub is stable when plugged directly into my windows 10 USB laptop port, however, that is not how i want to use it. I want to use it and acces  it via the USB port on AX50 router.  The Seagate also has it's own power supply with power settings set to never power down or go to sleep. 

The Seagate backup plus hub is connected to the AX50 router via USB. I can access it via my my windows laptop and Macbook,  but can't access it via a chromebook. Access is only for a couple of days and then the router drops seeing the seagate backup drive. I have to unplug the Seagate power, wait a few seconds then plug power back in. Once i do that, the Router sees the hard drive again and works properly for a couple of days. 

two questions:

1. why does router drop the hard drive ( or unmount the hard drive)?

2. What SMB version is installed on this router?  My chromebook uses SMB v2 ( just purchased it last month) but can't find the router. 

Options
2020-12-17 02:30:58

@Hawaii-5-0 

Thank you again for all the details. As for your first question, I'm afraid I cannot give you an answer, while as for the second, we can assure you that the AX50 supports SMBv2, so have you tried woozle's suggestions on the below thread?

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/239684

Options
2021-01-02 12:19:15

@Kevin_Z 
I have a very similar problem with my TP-Link Archer VR900v.
Firmware: 0.9.1 1.3 v0048.0 Build 180525 Rel.62396n
Hardware: Archer VR900v v1 00000000

I have a USB drive attached to the Archer, but when I access it through my windows explorer (via Network->ARCHER_VR900V), the USB drive loses connection after a few minutes. Afterwards, I can still see the USB drive in the settings of the Archer. However, when I click on Network->ARCHER_VR900V in the windows explorer, I now get an error message saying \\ARCHER_VR900V could not be accessed.

Thanks for your help.

Options