Kasa smart plugs and Deco parental control?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-26 12:00:55
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

In my home, I have a Deco wifi network. I use the excellent parental control settings to turn off internet connectivity for my kids at night.

I'm considering getting number of smart plugs to control lights around the house. Would my kids be able to switch lights on/off after the parental controls disables the connection on their devices? I assume no external connections are needed for this, but I'm not sure exactly whar my Decos are blocking.

Would be great if they could turn off their lights before going to sleep :).

Options
5 Reply
Re:Kasa smart plugs and Deco parental control?
2019-07-29 08:18:02

@roytanck 

We have some smart plugs and smart bulbs. We use the Kasa app to manage them;

They support some advanced feature, like schedule, timer and so on. 

We can turn them on/off at a certain time. 

You can refer to https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1390/ & https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/949/ & https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2463/ to get more information. 

Options
Re:Re:Kasa smart plugs and Deco parental control?
2019-07-29 08:32:24

@Kevin_Z Thank you. I realize TP-Link sells smart plugs, I'm looking at the HS100. Your reply doesn't really answer my question, please allow me to explain what I'm trying to do.

• My Deco blocks my kids' phones every evening at 9 o'clock.
  • I'm planning to have my kids install the Kasa app, with my account, so they too can control the lights.
  • Will they still be able to control the smart plugs after 9 o'clock, when their internet connection is blocked?

Has anyone tried this with a Deco setup and Kasa smart home devices?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Kasa smart plugs and Deco parental control?
2019-07-30 07:43:59

@roytanck 

Thanks for your clarification. 

Even though the internet get cut off due to the parental control, the cellphone can still manage the smart plug as long as it connects to the Deco's network. 

While it is local only, in other word, the plug cannot be controlled remotely by your kids' smart phone. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Kasa smart plugs and Deco parental control?
2019-07-30 08:21:26

Thank you, Kevin_Z. Good to know that parental controls will not block access to the Kasa smart plugs (locally).

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Kasa smart plugs and Deco parental control?
2019-07-31 01:50:44

@roytanck 

You are welcome; do not hesitate to contact us if need more help in the future. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1679

Replies: 5