Range issues with AV600 kit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-27 08:50:13
Model: TL-PA4010 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Community,

I've got two sets of AV600 Powerline Starter Kits (TL-PA411 KIT). They all work fine in my house and have fixed all my WiFi dead zone problems so far.

New problem is a steel clad shed about 105m away as the power cables run. I need a reliable internet connection for a workshop. WiFi is a dead loss due to steel cladding and metal foil insulation.

I've added of one of the adapter in the first power point in the shed and connected a WiFi router to it. It works some of the time (fast enough for SD Netflix streaming). It drops connection at least once an hour. Sometimes the middle (Powerline) LED is GREEN, but usualy RED or OFF.

My electrical topology is a bit complicated. My internet connection is in the house, the house is supplied via a sub-board from the main switch-board on another shed. The shed in question is also connected to the main board and has its' own sub-board. To complicate things even more, there is a solar power inverter on the house and a pole transformer is only 25m from the the main switch board. Everything is on the same phase. Maybe the pole transformer and/or the solar inverter are damping the signals.

Is there any way to add an extender or booster in the middle of my power cableing? (at the switchboard shed is a triple power point) I've seen suggestions of using two more adapters linked with a LAN cable and paired differently to the ends of of the network to act as a repeater. Or would it be more sensible to pair two at the house end differently to the two at the shed end?

Any suggestions? I no longer have enough hair to tear out!

Help!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Range issues with AV600 kit
2019-07-27 09:14:54
Quick update:- I've just loaded up the PLC utility program. My adapters within the house are running around about 200Mbs. The shed one is running at 22Mbs to 31Mbs.
Options
2019-07-29 06:14:57

@shed 

From your description, the powerline environment is complicated and you added that the powerline link rate is only 20Mbps-30Mbps in shed, while 200Mbps on your house, so the performance of powerline adapters is affected a lot. 

Considering the distance between the main house and shed, using 2 outdoor access points as a point to point connection will be a good choice. Like CPE210 or so.

Topology like Main router --CPE210(AP mode) )))((( CPE210(client mode)--wireless access point. 

For more information about CPE devices, you can refer to https://www.tp-link.com/au/business-networking/outdoor-radio/ 

Options
2019-07-29 08:27:54

Thanks Kevin Z,

Today I tried a solution two AV600 adapters linked with a LAN cable at the main switchboard. One was connected to the house adapter and the the other was connected to the shed adapter (had to be different networks or nothing worked).

Main router --AV600-------AV600(LAN Cable)AV600-------AV600--wireless access point)))((((Netflix.  :-)

Network A                                 Network B

Had over 100Mbps for the first section but could not get the TP-Link PLC program to recognise the network in the shed so couldn't get as speed reading, but all LEDs were green. No red LEDS on any adapter. 

I think this is will work just fine and cost half what the CEP210s would cost, and no installation. Speed will be much lower but if Netflix at standard definition doesn't buffer, all is well! Off to buy another kit!

The CEP210s look like a great solution for longer distances. My actual point to point distance is only 50m. The power cables just take the long way round.

Thanks again Kevin,

Shed (some light)

Options
Re:Re:Range issues with AV600 kit
2019-07-30 06:52:54

@shed 

Thanks for your reply, glad to hear that you found a solution.

You can verify the actual speed you can get from the shed adapter, if it is normal, then you do not have to buy an outdoor access point.

Meanwhile, the powerline led shows green means that the signal strength is good, just cannot be recognized by the tpPLC utility.

You can keep an eye on it, any further problem, please let us know. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2300

Replies: 4

Related Articles