Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls

Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls

131 Reply
Re:Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls
2023-04-07 17:27:09

@WeroLuis I'm using a Synology RT2600ac it has options to set web filtering and access schedules for the default group. I disable WiFi on my Synology and use my deco's as access points to maintain the mesh coverage. Depending on the coverage you need the RT2600 may be good enough.

Options
Re:Block unknown devices on Deco M9 - user changes MAC address to fool parental controls
2023-04-16 17:33:45 - last edited 2023-04-19 01:09:29

I'm so invested having 8 deco in our house and our password got spread.

I'm frustrated reading this article realizing that it's been requested for almost 4 years now? god.

Just give us an option to block all new connected device.

And just add a "Recent" sort tab under Blocked list so we can easily unblock it.

Options
2023-05-11 23:27:49

@TP-Link 

We need the whitelist still for PC. My teenager turns on his computer in the middle of the night and resets his MAC address, giving him internet access until I see the alert the next morning. The parental controls are useless without this. I'm really frustrated with this and have been for over a year now. I invested $900 on this system because of the parental controls you advertised with the product and they are useless. You offer a whitelist on other router products. Please add it to Deco. If it doesn't work for some users they can simply toggle the feature off.

Options
2023-05-11 23:31:39

@AdvTechTS 

TP-link don't care about your problems with their products. This thread has been running for years and they've done nothing about it.

My advice - sell the hardware to someone who doesn't care about the non-functional parental controls and buy a better product from a different vendor.

Options
2023-05-11 23:49:41

@Mihu 

I'm thinking that I have too but worried I'll spend $$$ only to have my teanager find another work around for the next unit.

I'm taking advice from this forum and looking into the Netgear Orbi...

Options
2023-05-18 18:04:00 - last edited 2023-05-18 18:05:03

@7dwergen 

@TP-Link 

I regret buying this and will never buy or recommend another TP-Link product again.

Options
2023-05-29 17:05:47

@ADV4nce Completely agree. It's become rather obvious that TP Link doesn't have the knowledge or skills to accomplish a simple but vital request made from the people that have purchased their product. If they can't do something this simple then it makes me wonder if I can rely on the integrity of the product overall. Time to move on to a company that values and listens to the needs of their customer base. 

Options
2023-05-30 06:30:36

C'mon TP-Link - this is a serious flaw in your software.  You need to act fast or lose all your customers.

Options
2023-05-30 06:37:23

@100sCustomers 

This thread is nearly 4 years old. TP-Link aren't going to do anything about the matter.

While I was initially hopeful about a proper resolution I have given up and moved on to better hardware from a different vendor.

I recommend anyone coming to this thread expecting help from TP-Link should do the same.

Options
[Troubleshooting] Block unknown devices on Deco M9
2023-05-31 00:03:38
This solution does not solve the reported problem
Options
Related Articles