Change wifi channel on Deco M9
Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-02-02 13:53:22 - last edited 2022-07-22 08:59:31
Tags: #Feature Request #Channel and channel width
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I´ve setup an Deco M9 system with 3pcs of nodes. Now I see in my home when I scan for other wifi devices that all of them is in the same range of wifi channels. 

( Alarm system, Camera system and so on.. )

I would like to change the wifi channel on the Deco system to 8 or higher because they are free. 

I cant find any way to do this in the Deco app.. Where can I do this?

Best Regards
Rickard 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9 -Solution
2020-09-21 10:08:57 - last edited 2022-09-22 10:06:31

Hello all, 

We have already noted all of your requests about choosing the wireless channels manually on the Deco system and they have been forwarded to the developers.

I will try to explain why we don't give the Deco administrator the permission to manually choose a channel on the current Deco system, which may not precise but I will try my best:

Firstly, we need to clarify that the wireless channels on the current Deco firmware are not manually configurable as Deco automatically selects a 2.4GHz channel to use based on what it sees around it, selecting the channel that has the least interference. The 5GHz channel appears to be configured based on the region the device was manufactured for use in and they are apparently not auto-selected and are definitely not manually configurable.

Secondly, we need to reiterate what is the point of having a whole mesh Wi-Fi system in your network. The whole point of mesh networks is to give a seamless, unfettered, and performant experience for wireless networking, and thus a mesh network is "self-configuring" and "self-healing", the network automatically incorporates a new node into the existing structure without needing any adjustments manually by a network administrator and it automatically finds the fastest and most reliable paths to send data. If you change the wireless channel on the Deco nodes manually, it may give you the risk of losing the other Deco nodes and thus ruin your Deco system, you may need to start over again to reconfigure them.

What's more, it is not always easy to choose a clear wireless channel in your networks, you may need to test with all of them in order to find one that may be usable. Most importantly, crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is busy, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference. 

Last but not least, other mesh systems such as Google Wi-Fi mesh (update here that Netgear Orbi is not the same mesh as Deco, Orbi is more like a router + an RE, so if we misunderstood it previously, we are sorry for that), don't allow users to change the channel manually either, which means when developing a mesh system, our developers have already taken all factors into serious consideration and choose the current one, the current Deco mesh system may not be perfect or even good, but we don't think it's just that awful or nonusable as some of you thought. If we need or we must do this change to allow you to change the channel, it will require a lot of research in the market and it is not that easy just like you said "just open the option", I think most users like you guys should understand it.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
384 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-02-02 16:49:27

I don't think that is possible....  This m9 has too basic functions. They need to allow users to change channel at least. 

Also i'm not sure what the rational is for the mesh to use the same channel....

Options
Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-02-14 09:06:34

I have the same question re the M5, it is rediculous that you cant change it

Does TP Link answer the forums? how can we request new features.... or features it should just have?

Options
2019-03-31 01:03:37

I am having a horrendous time with the new M9 Plus because of this limited functionality, it's so frustrating going to a peice of kit as fundamental as a router than you can't configure.  My neighbours OOTB routers are all broadcasting on the same channels as the M9 and I'm getting a lot of drop outs, I suspect due to interference, so want to move to a quiet channel but pretty annoyed that I can't even do this. What's the point in spending so much on a mesh system when your hands are tied behind your back with basic configuration to the point your wifi doesn't even work consistently when I'm stationary, let alone roaming the house?!

Options
2019-04-01 01:56:33

Hi all,

Sorry to respond late.

We cannot change the wireless channel on Deco App yet, they will choose a better one automatically; While we have forwarded it to our RD colleagues and they will work on it and evaluate it. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-04-01 01:58:37

FPope wrote

I am having a horrendous time with the new M9 Plus because of this limited functionality, it's so frustrating going to a peice of kit as fundamental as a router than you can't configure.  My neighbours OOTB routers are all broadcasting on the same channels as the M9 and I'm getting a lot of drop outs, I suspect due to interference, so want to move to a quiet channel but pretty annoyed that I can't even do this. What's the point in spending so much on a mesh system when your hands are tied behind your back with basic configuration to the point your wifi doesn't even work consistently when I'm stationary, let alone roaming the house?!

Hey,

Really sorry for the trouble caused; Theoretically, the Deco will choose a better channel automatically. 

Back to your case, per I said before, we have forwarded it to our RD colleagues. And they will work on it.

You can keep an eye on official website for updates or contact us. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-04-05 02:19:39

😤😤😤😤😤😤😠😠😠😠😠😠 I'm thinking of returning!!! That is a basic feature that I had on airport devices from 2015. Come on now. I bought this thinking it would be better but nope!!!!

Kevin_Z wrote

FPope wrote

Hey,

Really sorry for the trouble caused; Theoretically, the Deco will choose a better channel automatically. 

Back to your case, per I said before, we have forwarded it to our RD colleagues. And they will work on it.

You can keep an eye on official website for updates or contact us. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-04-05 02:57:01

TPLINK, 

how long will your R&D take? on the  Ethernet Backhaul, took almost 2 years and yet to see any features? how many people are in that team? you guys really need to step up on the features and support for the community. 

in Fact, i was really happy with the built quality of the AP's and was very happy until i noticed how limited the functionality was. Also i felt the signal wasn't that great of a coverage as well. I hope you can really really look into improving the features. 

Thanks. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-04-09 02:19:55

Hi,

Sorry for that, while considering the your experience and feeling, we totally understand your decision. 

We will push our R&D colleagues harder and accelerate the process.

Good day. 

Options
2019-04-09 02:21:26

Internetworker wrote

TPLINK, 

how long will your R&D take? on the  Ethernet Backhaul, took almost 2 years and yet to see any features? how many people are in that team? you guys really need to step up on the features and support for the community. 

in Fact, i was really happy with the built quality of the AP's and was very happy until i noticed how limited the functionality was. Also i felt the signal wasn't that great of a coverage as well. I hope you can really really look into improving the features. 

Thanks. 

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused; as you know, it will take some time to test the performance/capactity of the new firmware before released.

And we will push them harder and make it available sooner in the near future. 

Wish your understanding.

Best regards.

Options
2019-04-10 18:21:12

Kevin_Z wrote

We cannot change the wireless channel on Deco App yet, they will choose a better one automatically; While we have forwarded it to our RD colleagues and they will work on it and evaluate it.

How does it decide which channel is the best one? How long does it take to switch to the best channel?

I have just installed three P7s and noticed the channel they are running on is the most busy one in the all neighborhood. I would like to know how long should I wait for the automatic change.

Options

Information

Helpful: 40

Views: 177954

Replies: 385

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles