Change wifi channel on Deco M9

2019-02-02 13:53:22 - last edited 2020-07-16 05:50:29

Hi,

I´ve setup an Deco M9 system with 3pcs of nodes. Now I see in my home when I scan for other wifi devices that all of them is in the same range of wifi channels. 

( Alarm system, Camera system and so on.. )

I would like to change the wifi channel on the Deco system to 8 or higher because they are free. 

I cant find any way to do this in the Deco app.. Where can I do this?

Best Regards
Rickard 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9 -Solution
2020-07-16 05:48:50 - last edited 2020-07-16 05:50:29

@IanPH  @TTinz  @Rha.  @TIMNIC 

Hello all, sorry to respond late.

Thank you all for sharing your opinions and valued suggestions again. Apologies that manually choosing a channel for the Deco network is currently not available and this feature request has been forwarded to the developers for months and they are working on it, which will be available in the near future. It is suggested to keep an eye on the Deco app or on the TP-Link official website as we will update the information once there are any updates. 

At the current stage, however, we cannot provide an exact ETA to our customers as the developers need to evaluate the feasibility to add new features and do round and round tests to ensure its performance. Most importantly, we cannot only add just one single feature in the new firmware release, thus a new firmware generally has multiple features added and bugs fixed to improve the performance of the whole mesh system. We believe that you guys need a new firmware that is more powerful and much more suitable for most requests but not to be our best testers

Thanks a lot for your cooperation and understanding. Have a nice day.

Best Solution
Options
172 Replies
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-02-02 16:49:27

I don't think that is possible....  This m9 has too basic functions. They need to allow users to change channel at least. 

Also i'm not sure what the rational is for the mesh to use the same channel....

Options
Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-02-14 09:06:34

I have the same question re the M5, it is rediculous that you cant change it

Does TP Link answer the forums? how can we request new features.... or features it should just have?

Options
2019-03-31 01:03:37

I am having a horrendous time with the new M9 Plus because of this limited functionality, it's so frustrating going to a peice of kit as fundamental as a router than you can't configure.  My neighbours OOTB routers are all broadcasting on the same channels as the M9 and I'm getting a lot of drop outs, I suspect due to interference, so want to move to a quiet channel but pretty annoyed that I can't even do this. What's the point in spending so much on a mesh system when your hands are tied behind your back with basic configuration to the point your wifi doesn't even work consistently when I'm stationary, let alone roaming the house?!

Options
2019-04-01 01:56:33

Hi all,

Sorry to respond late.

We cannot change the wireless channel on Deco App yet, they will choose a better one automatically; While we have forwarded it to our RD colleagues and they will work on it and evaluate it. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-04-01 01:58:37

FPope wrote

I am having a horrendous time with the new M9 Plus because of this limited functionality, it's so frustrating going to a peice of kit as fundamental as a router than you can't configure.  My neighbours OOTB routers are all broadcasting on the same channels as the M9 and I'm getting a lot of drop outs, I suspect due to interference, so want to move to a quiet channel but pretty annoyed that I can't even do this. What's the point in spending so much on a mesh system when your hands are tied behind your back with basic configuration to the point your wifi doesn't even work consistently when I'm stationary, let alone roaming the house?!

Hey,

Really sorry for the trouble caused; Theoretically, the Deco will choose a better channel automatically. 

Back to your case, per I said before, we have forwarded it to our RD colleagues. And they will work on it.

You can keep an eye on official website for updates or contact us. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-04-05 02:19:39

😤😤😤😤😤😤😠😠😠😠😠😠 I'm thinking of returning!!! That is a basic feature that I had on airport devices from 2015. Come on now. I bought this thinking it would be better but nope!!!!

Kevin_Z wrote

FPope wrote

Hey,

Really sorry for the trouble caused; Theoretically, the Deco will choose a better channel automatically. 

Back to your case, per I said before, we have forwarded it to our RD colleagues. And they will work on it.

You can keep an eye on official website for updates or contact us. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-04-05 02:57:01

TPLINK, 

how long will your R&D take? on the  Ethernet Backhaul, took almost 2 years and yet to see any features? how many people are in that team? you guys really need to step up on the features and support for the community. 

in Fact, i was really happy with the built quality of the AP's and was very happy until i noticed how limited the functionality was. Also i felt the signal wasn't that great of a coverage as well. I hope you can really really look into improving the features. 

Thanks. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2019-04-09 02:19:55

Hi,

Sorry for that, while considering the your experience and feeling, we totally understand your decision. 

We will push our R&D colleagues harder and accelerate the process.

Good day. 

Options
2019-04-09 02:21:26

Internetworker wrote

TPLINK, 

how long will your R&D take? on the  Ethernet Backhaul, took almost 2 years and yet to see any features? how many people are in that team? you guys really need to step up on the features and support for the community. 

in Fact, i was really happy with the built quality of the AP's and was very happy until i noticed how limited the functionality was. Also i felt the signal wasn't that great of a coverage as well. I hope you can really really look into improving the features. 

Thanks. 

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused; as you know, it will take some time to test the performance/capactity of the new firmware before released.

And we will push them harder and make it available sooner in the near future. 

Wish your understanding.

Best regards.

Options
2019-04-10 18:21:12

Kevin_Z wrote

We cannot change the wireless channel on Deco App yet, they will choose a better one automatically; While we have forwarded it to our RD colleagues and they will work on it and evaluate it.

How does it decide which channel is the best one? How long does it take to switch to the best channel?

I have just installed three P7s and noticed the channel they are running on is the most busy one in the all neighborhood. I would like to know how long should I wait for the automatic change.

Options
Related Articles