HS110 with Modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS110 with Modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
HS110 with Modem
HS110 with Modem
2019-07-30 03:45:17
Model: HS110  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Guys, just thinking can I connect my modem to the Smart Plug HS100, and remotely control the HS100 turn on and off the modem? If I am using a phone connect to the HS100 via wifi signal from the modem, in theory I can turn off the modem (while the HS100 still connected to the modem via wifi connection), but cannot turn the modem back on, right? But can I schedule a time to turn off the modem and turn on the modem in a later time (eg 30mins or 1 hour later)? The reason I ask is, my modem need to be reset every couple weeks. I can only do it manually in person now, I would like to do it remotely via HS100 or other appliance. Thanks. Marsman.

Options
4 Reply
Re:HS110 with Modem
2019-07-30 07:13:12

@Marsman 

The configuration is saved on the device itself, so the schedule can function without internet. 

So you can use the smart plug to power on/off the modem. 

Note: Please ensure that there is no other physical power button need to be turned on as well. 

Options
Re:Re:HS110 with Modem
2019-07-30 12:59:49

Test before you travel... in particular the case of a power outage in your home (unplug the tp link from power, plug it back in after a few minutes).

The plug may refuse to run schedules/timers if unable to connect to the internet to find the correct time.  It'll stay in the default state (off), your router will not come back online, and you won't be able to reach the plug.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
Re:Re:Re:HS110 with Modem
2019-07-31 01:49:40

Hi all,

if the device is turned off, only schedule will take effect, the timer and the away mode will stop. 

While if the internet get cut off, the 3 features still work. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:HS110 with Modem
2019-07-31 03:53:39

I'm not so sure about that...  I block my tp link devices from reaching the internet.  Of course that means I don't have remote access via the TP Link cloud but that's ok 'cause I'm using AutomationManager to provide remote access - no risk of external hacking.

When I try to run a command using a countdown timer I get a response from the device:  {"count_down":{"get_rules":{"err_code":-11,"err_msg":"time not sync"}}}.

If there's a power outage the TP Link devices will lose time synchronization and will not be able to reach NTP servers to re-establish the time - they will be in the off state so the router will not be powered on - so there will be no wifi and no internet connection.

Honestly I think that timers not working is a bug - the device should not need NTP synchronization to run a countdown timer.

But I'd be surprised if schedules still work - no time synchronization is much more serious for a schedule where the device *does* need to know the exact time.

As I said, it's a good idea to test before travelling - it's no fun to be away from home and discovering your automation isn't running...

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 851

Replies: 4

Related Articles