Don't understand slow performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-02 08:49:24
Model: TL-WPA9610 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have the WPA0610 kit setup in my home, one next to the router, and on in my living room on another floor. Both plugged directly into socket. 

The internet speed is 350Mbps which I see when plugged in directly or very close on 5G WIFI.

According to tpPLC app, the link between the two powerline adapters is approx 400Mbps. Not amazing but still should be plenty to give me full internet speed. However, whether on 5G WIFI to the adapter or via the ethernet port I am not getting anywhere near this, the max throughput I ever see is around 40-50Mbps.

I don't understand why it's so slow, I've tested in a wide variety of configs, removed all other devices, used wired or wireless, switched them around, etc.

I'm on the verge of giving up and getting someone to install some CAT5 cable instead but wondered if anyone had any ideas why the reported speed is so much lower than the tested speed. I wasn't expecting the stated 2000Mbps but 50Mbps is ridiculous.

Thanks

Andy

Options
4 Reply
Re:Don't understand slow performance
2019-08-05 03:52:16

@MrAndyB 

Sorry to hear that you have some problems with the powerline adapters, we will do some troubleshooting and try to fix it.

First the powerline link rate between the 2 adapters is not the actual speed, while it will be affected. The transfer rate is about 30%-40%.

What is the light status of the TL-WAP9610KIT?

Try to change another wall socket to plug it and ensure that the powerline light is yellor or green; then please test the speed.

You can follow the below instruction to narrow down the issue and tell us some details:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2231/

a. The speed you can get from TL-WPA9610 when they are in the same room.

b. The wired/wireless link speed of your computer; how to get it: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

Any updates, just let us know.

Good day.

Options
2020-03-23 00:33:33

@Kevin_Z 

Utility

Speed test (on router)

Speedtests (on office Mac)

Network port speed:

Options
2020-03-23 00:34:21

I'd be very happy with 40% of reported speed, that would be 150-200Mbps

Options
2020-03-23 00:52:13

Strange update.

I noticed PLC to VDSL Interference Reduction mode was on for all three units. I don't have any interference issues, so I turned it off. I then all the reported speeds DROP almost in half, although my speedtest results are basically the same. I think there's something wrong with the way the utility is reporting line speed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1828

Replies: 4