TpPlc utility issues using two powerline networks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-02 12:17:10
Model: TL-PA8010 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have created two separate powerline networks: powerlinenetworkhome and powerlinenetworkbarn. Both base powerline adapters are connected to the same router, but plugged in into different electricity circuits (home and barn).

Both networks work fine and at descent speeds (around 100mbs for the barn at 70meters distance, and around 300mbps for the home)

1: With TpPlc however I only see one of the networks at the same time. I have to disconnect the base powerline adapter from the router to see the other network.

2: I assigned a name to both networks, using the security option. But to my surprise these names do not show in TpPlc on another computer.

3: I also assigned new devicenames, but these also seem to be applied only locally. The old names still show in TpPlc on another computer.

I use a total of 6 powerline adapters (combinations of TL-PA8010 and TL-PA411), 3 per powerline network

Please advice.

Options
17 Reply
Re:TpPlc utility issues using two powerline networks
2019-08-06 09:17:34

@JanLunteren 

With 2 separate powerline networks connected to the main router, the tpPLC utility will detect one of them at once randomly; To be honest, most customers use the powerline adapter together and pair them to each other so that they can manage the adapters together via the utility.

For the network name and device name, instructions as below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1616/ 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1609/

Please ensure that you have saved and applied the settings. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:TpPlc utility issues using two powerline networks
2019-08-08 06:55:37
@kevin_z Thanks for your reply. I can understand that tpPlc picks one of the networks only. But it should be fixed. Secondly, if I change the devicename or networkname in tpPlc, it is only stored locally (on the computer that runs tpPlc), which is annoying.
Options
Re:Re:Re:TpPlc utility issues using two powerline networks
2019-08-12 14:43:00
In addition: Also the android app tpPlc is using local naming for devices and network
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:TpPlc utility issues using two powerline networks
2019-08-15 06:04:43

@JanLunteren 

Thanks for your reply, and sorry to respond late.

We did a test on our lab and we can reproduce the issue mentioned.

We have reminded our R&D team and proposed an improvement, they will work on it.

While it is glad that it does not affect the actual performance the powerline adapters; 

You can use them and keep an eye on official website, any updates, we will let you know immediately. 

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:TpPlc utility issues using two powerline networks
2019-08-15 08:08:08

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open :-)

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:TpPlc utility issues using two powerline networks
2019-08-16 01:01:22

Definitely sure. 

Best regards. 

Options
2020-10-18 17:15:10

@Kevin_Z Any progress on the issue ? Is did not see any updates on the tpPLC.exe up to now

Options
2020-11-27 18:23:15 - last edited 2020-11-27 18:25:47

@JanLunteren There will never be an update...

I am also running 2 plc networks and tried everything using 2 different PCs at the same time (1 PC connected with LAN cable, 1 Laptop using WLAN)... Both tpPLC show the same Network (usually the one running at higher speed - in my case a 2.000 Mbps and a 1.200 Mbps).

I figured out there is a .ini-file in the tpPLC folder (Program Files (x86)\TP-LINK\TP-Link PLC Utility), but did not found any parameter where I can put in the network name! :-(  

To take a look at the other network I have to disconnect the LAN port of the first one... 

Options
2020-11-27 18:29:42

@Inetdad 

Too bad... Thanks for the reply

Options
2020-12-02 08:49:34

@JanLunteren 
I think I have good news for you... At least it happens to me! wink

I always used tpPLC on my (gaming) PC connected to the router with LAN cable. But because I wanted to test something else, I also activated the WLAN card (PCIe). So I had 2 active communication cards running at the same time (LAN and WLAN) on the same PC...

After a while I started tpPLC as it was not running all the time before. And I noticed a new sign in the utility (an arrow) --> picture bellow! 

This little arrow (only shown when you have activated your WLAN on PC) indicates there is another network - click on it and you get what you were looking for... 

Well, it works in my case... Can you confirm? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3538

Replies: 17

Related Articles