Deco M5 3 Pack: 1 Router and 2 Access Points?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-19 20:35:25 - last edited 2019-08-26 03:37:50
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I need seamless roaming between multiple access point / wireless nodes - it's a must have for me since I do a lot of conference calls on Skype.

I have ethernet cables running through the house, and will purchase a Gigabit switch, which will be used to ethernet backhaul for the units.

I was exploring the SMB products (EAP 225 and Omada controler) but came about that Deco M5 does provide seamless roaming and the units can act as an access point.

However, looking at the FAQ page (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/) I still had some oustanding questions:

1) The FAQ mentions that you loose features if you enable AP mode. Is seamless roaming one of them?

2) Can I use one of the Deco M5 nodes as my router, and the two other as access points? Does the AP mode change applies to all units, or just one specific unit?

3) When they are set on AP mode, how does the controller works? On EAP 225, you need the Omada controller to configure the APs. This is important question especially if the answer to question #2 is no - all 3 would be APs, so no one is a master/controller?

Depending on the answers to above, I will have additional questions.

Thanks for your help!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 3 Pack: 1 Router and 2 Access Points?-Solution
2019-08-22 09:13:48 - last edited 2019-08-26 03:37:50

@LucianoR 

Hi, the seamless roaming still works in AP mode, you can click here to get more difference between router mode and AP mode. 

You can configure one Deco as router mode and the other 2 as AP mode; From the initial setup, you need configure one of them as the main router, the other two will work as AP mode automatically by adding them into the same Deco network; if you want to change all of them to AP mode, then do it on the Deco app. 

When they work in AP mode, as least one of them need connect to the main router by wired cable, and we still can use the Deco app to manage them. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 3 Pack: 1 Router and 2 Access Points?-Solution
2019-08-22 09:13:48 - last edited 2019-08-26 03:37:50

@LucianoR 

Hi, the seamless roaming still works in AP mode, you can click here to get more difference between router mode and AP mode. 

You can configure one Deco as router mode and the other 2 as AP mode; From the initial setup, you need configure one of them as the main router, the other two will work as AP mode automatically by adding them into the same Deco network; if you want to change all of them to AP mode, then do it on the Deco app. 

When they work in AP mode, as least one of them need connect to the main router by wired cable, and we still can use the Deco app to manage them. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 3 Pack: 1 Router and 2 Access Points?
2019-08-24 23:25:11

TP Link is contradictory on this. Tech support told me fast roaming is NOT working in AP mode, even though the option still shows up. Whats the definitive answer TPLINK?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 3 Pack: 1 Router and 2 Access Points?
2019-08-26 03:32:19

@starmanj 

Hello, thanks for your requesting.

The Deco supports fast roaming both in router mode and AP mode. 

The option is available on both operation modes. 

So please be assured about it. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3072

Replies: 3