Roamimg around house but phone or device stays connected to clone addaptor

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-20 07:56:06
Model: TL-WPA4220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have cloned my router details with my extender. The problem I have is my phone or device connects to the WiFi via the router or extender and then when I move around the house it only stays connected to that. This means I have to turn the WiFi on and off for the device to pick up the best signal when moving around the house. I want all devices to auto switch to the best cloned device?

Any ideas why this is not happening?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Roamimg around house but phone or device stays connected to clone addaptor
2019-08-20 19:25:29

Hi there, I believe that your system is working correctly. The WiFi system is a clone system and NOT a MESH system. In the latter system, switching to WiFi source with strongest signal is automatic. This is NOT the case with a clone system; as you have discovered the receiver device has to have WiFi turned off and on again to pick up the strongest signal.

Options
Re:Re:Roamimg around house but phone or device stays connected to clone addaptor
2019-08-20 19:45:47

Hi Geoffrey 

Thanks for the reply. I did have it as a different device name before. I'll go backed to that. Is that what you meant by the term mesh? There is no other way to configure them is there.???????

Michael 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Roamimg around house but phone or device stays connected to clone addaptor
2019-08-20 21:47:01

Check this article:

www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/592

"Roaming is purely a client decision"

Options
Re:Re:Re:Roamimg around house but phone or device stays connected to clone addaptor
2019-08-21 03:11:55

@Michaelk1 

Hi, per Geoffrey said, the wifi clone system is different from the mesh system, there is a TP-Link whole wifi mesh system, which is called Deco series, the mesh system is based on the 802.11k/v/r protocol. 

Back to your case, it is more like a client decision. 

You can create a different name for the powerline extender network.

Best regards. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 659

Replies: 4