VPN Clients on TP-Link Routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-21 11:33:49 - last edited 2021-04-29 02:09:01
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 Build 20180611 Rel. 77668

Hi,

I have been using ASUS Routers for quite some time now. So recently I purchased this C2300 from Amazon and while the coverage is excellent as compared to my ASUS RT66U, I encountered a show-stopper - No VPN Clients!

I have a NordVPN subscription and I would create profiles using the OpenVPN clients (well, ASUS have included PPTP, L2TP and OpenVPN clients in their routers, besides a VPN Server) and always have my devices access the Internet securely. Plus I would be able to overcome some geo-restrictions.

Now I am forced to run TWO routers simultaneously, since TP-Link do not have built-in VPN clients.

It is for this reason I must ask TP-Link: ¿Que esta pasando?

What is going on that we cannot have outbound VPN from home? I don't really think the VPN Server in your routers are more useful than having VPN clients, but even if that weren't the case, the VPN clients wouldn't use as much reasources because it does only the tunneling, as opposed to the Server which does the processing.

I have the Archer A7 and this Archer C2300 which both don't have the VPN Clients.

I could be upgrading to the Archer C3150v2 or maybe the C4000v2 (and that would end my quest for High Speeds), but still the issue is that there are high-end routers WITHOUT VPN Clients!!

TP-Link, please tell me.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:VPN Clients on TP-Link Routers-Solution
2019-08-21 16:43:14 - last edited 2021-04-29 02:09:01

@odhiambo 

For TP-Link products at this time VPN client options are only available on our SMB product line.  With Home or SoHo routers we offer  VPN server (OpenVPN and PPTP).  However all of our router will operate by defaul as VPN passthrough using IPSec, PPTP or L2TP.  All you have to do is have the client software installed on the client devices and the VPN be based in one of the 3 mentioned protocols.  

That is not to say we won't support the router as a client in the future, just not at this time. 

Best Regards   

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-08-06 09:08:04 - last edited 2021-08-06 09:08:11

Hello @SSG and all,

Check this thread to find which of the TP-Link router support VPN Client, buy one that supports it already if you do require the feature:

[New Firmware] Routers supporting VPN Client

Recommended Solution
Options
37 Reply
2019-08-21 16:43:14 - last edited 2021-04-29 02:09:01

@odhiambo 

For TP-Link products at this time VPN client options are only available on our SMB product line.  With Home or SoHo routers we offer  VPN server (OpenVPN and PPTP).  However all of our router will operate by defaul as VPN passthrough using IPSec, PPTP or L2TP.  All you have to do is have the client software installed on the client devices and the VPN be based in one of the 3 mentioned protocols.  

That is not to say we won't support the router as a client in the future, just not at this time. 

Best Regards   

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:VPN Clients on TP-Link Routers
2019-08-23 10:23:53

Agreed. Most of the high end SOHO routers are let down by the software. Some features are not ported to these routers even though having multiple cores clocked at 1-1.8GHz. My router, Archer c3150v3 never received a single firmware update in the last 3 years with lots of features missing.

Options
Re:Internet Switch kill Problrm
2019-08-23 10:30:23

Simply put, you should not use VPN Client and TP-Link in the same sentence for their Home Routers.
I will not comment on the Internet Kill Switch bit for now. You just need to read more and see what it means.
I have looked for the emulator for your router, but not sure what H/W version and Firmware version it is so that I can pick on the correct emulator

and advise whether it is possible to block the internet by schedule for devices.. Please include that information.

Options
Re:Re:VPN Clients on TP-Link Routers
2019-08-23 10:37:06
@Carl, Thank you for the glossy response Support for VPN clients "in the future" when the competition has been doing that for donkey years is not a good enough promise, especially for routers that cost over $200. TP-Link has got great hardware, with so minimum features. Right now I am forced to cascade the C2300 behind an ASUS RT-AC66R with ASUS handling the VPN while C2300 only providing better coverage in the house. I could solve this easily with the C2300 if it had built-in VPN Clients. AFAICT, the RT-AC66R is a Home router. TP_Link just needs to listen to customer requirements and stop being rigid.
Options
2019-11-03 17:54:07
Sorry to hear this! I spend a lot of money on my AX6000 and the CPU and memory is perfect for VPN Clients. My 4 year old ASUS AC3100 supported it but the CPU was a drag. There are millions of people using IPTV and this is a necessity for them to remain anonymous. With multiple devices, it needs to be run on a router.
Options
2020-01-07 06:37:44

So disappointed for TP-link not intent to develop this functiont...  I belive nowadays a lot of customer need different IP addresses for gaming or watching TV.   

For my next WiFi 6 Router,  TP-Link won't be in my list... 

Options
2020-01-07 06:48:52

@Fredee 

So they reply saying they support VPN in small business models.  WhoTF would buy TP-Link to run a business enterprise.  Get over it TP-Link and stop looking down on home users or creating an artificial user class.  We far outnumber your business market.  Since when is a $600 US router a mainstream price for a home user?

Options
2020-01-08 02:09:38

@JoyriderBC Indeed... Another band of routers provide this feature just between $120-350.   Their products are more generous for consumer

Options
2020-01-08 08:03:23 - last edited 2020-01-08 13:49:00

@Carl well thanks for that it means I will be looking at your competitors routers when I am buying one next month instead of going for AX1500

The AX vs AC would have been nice but the lack of "OpenVPN client" means allot more to me

I never need the OpenVPN server functionality but as home user the client functionality is really needed.

(Other question also still remains have you guys found out that the Wifi 5G network is not only limited to channel 36 to 48 and that there is further channels available instead of limiting it like you do on my C6)

This is not to say I won't buy another one of your routers in the future, just not at this time.

Options
2020-01-09 05:43:25

Hi all,

Sorry to tell you that the current SOHO/Deco router cannot satisfy your needs to support OpenVPN clients yet; We will forward your requests to our product department and they will evaluate the feasibility to add it. 

Best regards. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 41390

Replies: 37

Related Articles