"Disappearing" range extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-29 12:14:53
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Firstly, my adapters are the TP-Link AV600 but I couldn't find that option in the hardware list (maybe it's a special one for PC World??)  Anyway... it's the powerline adapter with 1 x base unit plus 1 x extender.

Here's what's happening.... when I first plug the units into some power sockets, the extender unit emits a wi-fi signal identified as TP-Link_CEF2. I can see it on my mobile phone and also on my PC (running Windows 7) - BUT - as soon as I pair it up with the base unit, the extender seems to stop transmitting its wi-fi signal (i.e. TP-Link_CEF2 disappears from both my PC and my mobile phone). If I press the extender's reset button it goes through the reset process and the wi-fi signal re-appears - but as soon as I press the pair button, TP-Link_CEF2 disappears again.

Anyone know what might be happening here?? crying

Options
6 Reply
Re:"Disappearing" range extender
2019-08-30 03:28:22

@johne53 

For your information, AV600 is not the model number, instead, it should be TL-WPA4220KIT. 

Back to your case, what is the led status of the TL-WPA4220 when the wifi name disappeared?

Please refer to the picture below to verify the pair button and wifi button. I suspect that you pressed the wifi button not the pair button, so that the wifi function has been disabled. 

Try to pair them one more time with the instruction attached and give it a go.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/258/

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:"Disappearing" range extender
2019-08-30 05:55:35

Kevin_Z wrote

@johne53 

For your information, AV600 is not the model number, instead, it should be TL-WPA4220KIT. 

Back to your case, what is the led status of the TL-WPA4220 when the wifi name disappeared?

Many thanks Kevin. Just FYI... I've previously purchased these items (about 3 or 4 months ago) so I'm familiar with the buttons and I was pressing the right ones. Regarding the LED status, all four LED's are solid green unless I press the wi-fi button for 5 seconds (in which case the wi-fi LED extinguishes). And if I press it for 5 seconds again, that LED comes back on again (solid green) but there's still no wi-fi output. Even if I power the unit down and turn it on again, there's still no wi-fi signal from it. The only way to get the wi-fi signal back is to press the fiddly little reset button (underneath the unit) and allow it to go through its reset process.

FWIW I emailed TP-Link's UK support (last night) so hopefully I'll get a response from them.

Options
Re:Re:Re:"Disappearing" range extender
2019-08-30 08:25:46 - last edited 2019-08-30 08:27:45

Just FYI... I've previously purchased these items (about 3 or 4 months ago) so I'm familiar with the buttons and I was pressing the right ones.

[...]

FWIW I emailed TP-Link's UK support (last night) so hopefully I'll get a response from them.

TP-Link Support replied a few minutes ago but in the meantime, I've made a bit more progress. Here's my reply just now to TP Support:-

" Hi there and thanks for your quick response. The model number is TL-PA4010(UK). The serial no. is 218C810B03738 and it's Version 3.0.  However... I've managed to make a little progress so here's the full story...

I first purchased a pair of these items (from PC World) about 3 months ago and I've been using them in my own house without any problems.  Then a few days ago, my sister gave me some money and asked me to purchase some for her and set them up in her house, a few miles away.  But for convenience I'm trying to get them initially set up at my house.

What's happening is that I can't set up the new ones if my old ones here happen to be already running (this creates the problem I described yesterday). If I turn my own units off temporarily I can then set up the newly purchased ones - but neither pair can be set up if the other pair happens to be switched on.  They don't seem to be sharing an SSID - my original unit comes up with the ID TP-Link_4D02 and the new one from yesterday is TP-Link_CEF2.  And yet they seem to be interfering with each other somehow.  If I try to configure either pair while the other is already switched on, external devices (such as my PC's or mobile phone) will only see 1 x SSID but never both of them. "

At the moment I'm wondering if it's because they're physically on the same mains circuit ??

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:"Disappearing" range extender
2019-09-02 05:49:33

@johne53 

Thanks for your valued reply; theoretically, we can add the new units into the existing network by pair button, if it does not work, we can use the tpPLC utility.

And each powerline extender will broadcast its own wireless network name, it can be customized via the tpPLC utility as well. Including the password. 

Cause you bought the new adapters for your sister, you can pair them on her house with the pair button to give it a go.

Good day. 

Options
2021-11-02 15:16:13
Hey dude, sorry to reignite an old thread but did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the same issue with just one out of my 2 adpaters. When I configure the problem one, it connects but then immediately dissapears from the wifi list. Any help/guidance greatly appreciated. Dan
Options
2021-11-02 15:51:56

@dozzler IIRC I noticed a problem where one of the newly bought ones had a particular green LED that would flash constantly (maybe about 5 or 10 times per second). Eventually the retailer sent me a replacement and that fixed it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4572

Replies: 6

Related Articles