Way to log power consumption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-03 08:36:11 - last edited 2021-02-04 03:48:05
Model: HS110-KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've just bought a pair of HS110 smart plugs with energy monitoring.

They're both working on the Kasa Android app.

What I'd like to know is if there's a way to have a log of power used for each plug (with configurable intervals, like say every 1s, 5s, 60s, etc) - exportable to a standard format, say csv?

If not on the Tplink app, perhaps google home can do it, or even some other 3rd party app?

I'm new to this, so maybe this is something which is easily accessible, but I'm just not finding it in the Kasa app.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Way to log power consumption-Solution
2021-01-28 15:31:10 - last edited 2021-02-04 03:48:05

@FrankyV Sure - you need to run AutomationManager (AM) as a server on an android device you leave running/connected at all times.  You add the AutomationOnDrive (AoD) extension to AM and configure it to connect/bridge to your google drive account.  Power consumption changes are collected by AM which passes the data onto AoD.  AoD appends the data to a google spreadsheet stored on your google drive.  Any of the google sheet tools can be used to filter, sort, sum, render the data in a graph, etc., AM is also an automation server so can handle any other automated behavior (rules) you'd like to implement.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Way to log power consumption
2019-09-03 12:54:18
AutomationManager (my app, it's on google play) can do this - you configure it to log measurements to google sheets. There you can analyse them any way you'd like - graphs on the sheets are an excellent way to visualize power use.
Options
2019-09-06 06:28:48 - last edited 2019-09-06 06:29:13

@zeze 

There is no option to export the log of power used for each plug. 

While you can use the energy monitoring or runtime  to measure its power consumption of the appliance.

And the power consumption of standby mode of HS110 EU V3 IS 1.0w. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-09-27 10:30:53

@Kevin_Z 

This is completely obsolete. I have my  HS110 connected to a water eater which turns on and off randomly during the day, I bought it to monitor the energy consumption during day and night separately, and now I found it completely useless for me. 
I want to buy more smart plugs but without this feature I will go for another brand.

Options
2021-01-28 14:50:15

@MikeP can you please elaborate which functionality your App provides with regards to the HS110 smart plugs (with the latest HS110 firmware)?
I have 10+ smartplugs and would like to automate building a history of power consumption of each plug.
Is that something which is supported by your App?

Thanks in advance,

Franky

Options
Re:Way to log power consumption-Solution
2021-01-28 15:31:10 - last edited 2021-02-04 03:48:05

@FrankyV Sure - you need to run AutomationManager (AM) as a server on an android device you leave running/connected at all times.  You add the AutomationOnDrive (AoD) extension to AM and configure it to connect/bridge to your google drive account.  Power consumption changes are collected by AM which passes the data onto AoD.  AoD appends the data to a google spreadsheet stored on your google drive.  Any of the google sheet tools can be used to filter, sort, sum, render the data in a graph, etc., AM is also an automation server so can handle any other automated behavior (rules) you'd like to implement.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-02-20 17:57:51

@MikeP - Do you have a guide posted on your website with how to accomplish this?  Or perhaps something one of your users wrote up?  I briefly looked at AM and AoD, and it looks pretty powerful, but not "Idiot-friendly UI"  :D

I tried setting up my primary phone as a server as a proof of concept, and I got some errors posting to my log.  And tried linking to AoD and got some more errors (Which I cannot provide at the moment for troubleshooting, this was a couple weeks back).  Then I got persistent notifications about the errors on my primary phone, which I could not figure out how to turn off/disable from the app (but likely could have had android override notifications) and I ended up uninstalling AM because of that. 

Obviously a persistent notification would not be a problem on a dedicated AM android device, but I think my issue was mostly that I had some error causing the notification!

Options
2021-02-20 20:39:36

@Murdlih Sure, setup instructions are here: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/wemomanager/wemomanager-howto, and the automation options are here: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/wemomanager/wemorules.  You can use AoD general logging or the PostData action if you prefer to log to separate google drive spreadsheets.

When you're running a server you'll probably want to keep notifications on, but there's not supposed to be many unless there's some kind of network problem.  On a carry phone you will probably want to set the wifi settings in AM to have it stop running when you disconnect from your home wifi.

AoD should only run on the AM server, it'll be unhappy on a carry phone that's allowed to sleep or disconnect from the internet, or if AM isn't running as a server.

In any case, right, you use the android settings to disable notifications from an app - try swiping the notification, you should see a "gear" icon.

There's a "more" button on the help screen that takes you to my site, and there's a "contact" button on that same help screen as well as on my site if you need more help or information.  AM and AoD have pretty complete logging (extended menu on AM, main screen in AoD) that you can send as well that makes it easy for me to figure out what's wrong and to sort any problems.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 9569

Replies: 7