Can I connect a switch to a network-dose and will it still work?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-05 01:48:57
Model: TL-SG1005D  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My router is in the basement and it's too far away from the room, where I need 2 LAN-Ports. A network dose (only one LAN-Port) is in another room a few meters away, but the distance is ok. Now to my question: Can I connect a switch to a network-dose and if yes, will I have any disadvantages, because I connected it to a network-dose and not directly to the router?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Can I connect a switch to a network-dose and will it still work?
2019-09-05 02:59:33

@need_help 

You can connect the switch to the network dose to provide ethernet ports. 

The performance of the switch will depend on the connection between the main router and network dose; if they are connected by wireless, the distance, obstacles and other wireless interference will affect the performance of the network dose. Furthermoe, the switch's capability will be affected also.

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Can I connect a switch to a network-dose and will it still work?
2019-09-05 19:10:08

A cable is connected from the router to an 8 Port Switch (TP-SG1008D) and a cable is connected to the network dose system, so every network dose in this house has 100% of the router. So if I connect the 5 Port Switch with a cable to a network dose and I connect a cable to the 5 Port Switch and connect my PC in the other room with this cable, I should have the full power of my router right? And my second question is: Is it possible to connect a cable from a switch to another switch (like directly)? And can I get any disadvantages of that (less power for the switch, which is only connected with a cable to the switch, which is connected to the network dose)?

Options
Re:Re:Can I connect a switch to a network-dose and will it still work?
2019-09-12 05:48:37

@need_help 

First, theoretically, with router --SG1008D--NETWORK dose--5 port switch--computer connected, you can get full power of the router, while cause there are so many network devices existed, the performance of the computer will be affected inevitably.

Second, you can connect a cable from one switch to another. For the actual performance, it is related to the network environment.

Best regards. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 811

Replies: 3