DECO M9 Plus, Android TV and wifi roaming not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-16 18:48:54 - last edited 2019-09-18 08:01:54
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.8

Hello everybody,

I would like to ask as question about wifi roaming. I've got three Deco M9 Plus access points in my house and noticed that I needed wifi roaming because if you come from the ground floor and go to the second floor the connection to the Deco on the ground floor is still ok, but the connection to the Deco on the first floor is great. When connected to the ground floor I get 50Mbps and connected via the Deco on the first floor I get my full bandwidth of 200 Mbps. So, I really like the wifi roaming option which worked great for the short amount of time I used it.

My Android TV (Philips Android 8.0.0 security updates march 1ste 2019) won connect when wifi roaming is enabled. What are my options to use the TV via wifi and use wifi roaming.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:DECO M9 Plus, Android TV and wifi roaming not working-Solution
2019-09-17 07:09:56 - last edited 2019-09-18 08:01:54

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for your answer. I've got a workaround, my TV does work when I disable wifi roaming. I guess I'll just have to wait for that update to get released. 

Any idea when the next firmware will be released?

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-04-06 06:54:06 - last edited 2021-04-06 06:54:38

@ScreenNameNL 

Hi, The roaming on a Deco system is based on the 802.11 k/v/r protocol and some smart devices, they did not support 802.11r standard and couldn’t recognize the 802.11r related information in the Beacon frames broadcast by Deco either.

In this case, these clients may fail to connect to Deco’s Wi-Fi network or disconnect from Deco’s Wi-Fi network after turning on the Fast Roaming feature.

After disabling the fast roaming on the Deco APP,  only 802.11 r standard is turned off and 802.11 k/v are still active so that other mobile clients could still enjoy the roaming function;

For more details about the roaming features on the Deco, please refer to this link:https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/960

Thank you.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:DECO M9 Plus, Android TV and wifi roaming not working
2019-09-17 01:50:29

@ScreenNameNL 

The current firmware does not support to disable mesh technology for each device, while it will be added in next firmware.

Back to your case, we can try to find a workaround for now. 

Is there any error message that indicates you cannot connect the TV to the wifi? 

Have you ever tried forget the network and reconnect to it? 

Besides, is it possible for you to connect it to the Deco by wired cable to get internet? 

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-17 07:09:56 - last edited 2019-09-18 08:01:54

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for your answer. I've got a workaround, my TV does work when I disable wifi roaming. I guess I'll just have to wait for that update to get released. 

Any idea when the next firmware will be released?

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-09-18 08:01:25

@ScreenNameNL 

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure the ETA of the firmware for the Deco M9 plus. But as I know, it is on its way now.

You can keep an eye on official website or Deco app to get the updates. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-26 13:32:19 - last edited 2019-10-26 13:33:50

Hello,

Fast update, I've updated to the newest firmware. (1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel. 54023) Which allows you to turn of Mesh Technology for connected devices. I'm sorry to say that my TV (Philips (55PUS6401/12) with Android 8.0.0) still won't connect to wifi when enabling fast roaming. My original problem still exists with this newest firmware.

Steps done:

1. Fast roaming turned off. This is how I have to use my network now.
  2. Turned mesh technology off for my TV (around 22:00 (or 10 pm)
  3. Until now everything works fine and all devices are able to connect to my Deco's
  4. Turned on Fast Roaming
  5. TV loses wifi connection and other devices still work
    1. I can't get the tv to connect, not via the main WIFI or Guest network and WPS doesn't work either. 

So while I think this newest firmware has a lot of great features, it still doesn't let me use fast roaming. Which is actually the reason I bought de Deco's.

I hope this information helps and if you have any questions let me know!

Hello,

Fast update, I've updated to the newest firmware. Which allows you to turn of Mesh Technology for connected devices. I'm sorry to say that my TV (Philips with ANdroid) still won't connect to wifi when enabling fast roaming. My original problem still exists with this newest firmware.

Steps done:

1. Fast roaming turned off. This is how I have to use my network now.
  2. Turned mesh technology off for my TV (around 22:00 (or 10 pm)
  3. Until now everything works fine and all devices are able to connect to my Deco's
  4. Turned on Fast Roaming
  5. TV loses wifi connection and other devices still work
    1. I can't get the tv to connect, not via the main WIFI or Guest network and WPS doesn't work either. 

So while I think this newest firmware has a lot of great features, it still doesn't let me use fast roaming. Which is actually the reason I bought de Deco's.

I hope this information helps and if you have any questions let me know!

Options
2019-11-14 10:34:30

@Kevin_Z 

I have exactly the same problem with fast roaming with my Denon HEOS HomeCinema HS1, despite the latest firmware on my M9Plus.

Options
2020-02-18 20:43:47

Same issue it's a right pain any idea when this will he resolved as this was the main reason I bought the kit to roam around the house and have a good connection at all times

Options
2020-05-14 13:55:58
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/177002?replyId=440746 Try this link, not sure if this is the answer you are looking for.
Options
2021-04-06 06:54:06 - last edited 2021-04-06 06:54:38

@ScreenNameNL 

Hi, The roaming on a Deco system is based on the 802.11 k/v/r protocol and some smart devices, they did not support 802.11r standard and couldn’t recognize the 802.11r related information in the Beacon frames broadcast by Deco either.

In this case, these clients may fail to connect to Deco’s Wi-Fi network or disconnect from Deco’s Wi-Fi network after turning on the Fast Roaming feature.

After disabling the fast roaming on the Deco APP,  only 802.11 r standard is turned off and 802.11 k/v are still active so that other mobile clients could still enjoy the roaming function;

For more details about the roaming features on the Deco, please refer to this link:https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/960

Thank you.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3141

Replies: 8