tp-link 3g/4g wifi router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-16 20:12:47 - last edited 2019-09-20 21:46:56
Model: TL-MR3420  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.4.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 180712 Rel.61343n

Dear sir, a few days before I bought mentioned router.

In my weekend house I connect to internet with pc (Win 7) and 3g usb stick Huawei e3131 over internet manager. Looking for better signal, i found much better on the other side of my weekend house on the first flloor. From my pc on ground floor this is distance of more then 10 meters. I don´t want to use extension usb cord for it. So I decided to buy this router, usb stick connect to it and I have wireless for all my devices.

But this is my priblem:

3g signal on the first floor is is pretty good and stable (about 6-6.5 Mbps max.). There is also 4g signal, very weak, sometimes no signal at all.

Mentioned router find 4g signal but there is not connection with internet.

Internet led is orange.

----------------------------------------------------------

Router Setup/Advanced/Status/Internet:

Wan Interface Name  ppp_USB_4g

Mac Address is ok

IP adresse and all other adresses are 0.0.0.

Connection Type  4g

While switching on or rebooting several times i tried to find place in my house where signal should be as much as possible weak. If I am lucky, router connected to internet immediately and now is:

------------------------------------------------------

Wan Interface Name  ppp_USB_3g

Mac adressc and all ip adresses are ok

Connection Type 3g

In my opinion router find 3g and 4g signal and try to connect to faster but there Huawei E3131 3g modem.

What is solution for my situation? 

There is nothing in router Setup and I can not reach anything from modem E3131 as i could when I did not have router.

What is solution for my situation?

Thank you in advance, Vladimir

Options
5 Reply
Re:tp-link 3g/4g wifi router
2019-09-18 11:14:31

@Vladek 

Does your USB dongle/sim card support 4G? If not, the router may not work once it detect the 4G signal.

Cause it works well in 3G mode, you can try to create the connection profile manually with the APN info and give it a go.

Below is the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1663/

Besides, please ensure that the firmware is up to date.

Good day. 

Options
2019-09-20 21:46:37 - last edited 2019-09-20 21:46:56

@Vladek 

I am not expert for this problem bat I assume problem is maybe in modem bin file. If modem (Huawei E3131s-2 is 3g only modem, network types: 2g only, 3g only, 4g grayed and Auto) send to router that there is 3g and 4g network in range, router decides logicaly what to do. I am not clear how 3g modem can detect 4g network, but if he can detect then modem bin file from TP-Link probably sent this information to router. So when 3g signal is "stronger", then router choose 3g. By the way, why modem bin file for my modem has 4 files, Huawei T-mobile #1,#2,#3,#4? Why modem bin file simply does not block 4g signal: It should know that modem is 3g (and 2g) only.

If I am completely wrong about modem bin file, why router setup has no option what network to choose, but offer 4 operations modes which is more challenging. Maybe It should be fixed in next firmware version. It would be nice.

I tried with profile, firmware is the newest, nothing better, and I still looking for better 3g (lower 4g) signal in my house, mesured 12 meters from modem and ruter to place where i can find and connect to 3g network.

At the end, I use mr3420 with E3131 for internet and wireless only.

Thanks for replays.

Options
2019-09-22 21:53:06

@Vladek 

Dear Kevin,

today I red your post in my gmail. As I said: my Huawei E3131s-2 is 3g modem. Sim card is 4g capable, confirmed from ISP.

In my E3131 3g modem connections settings are: 2g only, 3g only, 4g grayed (unreachable), and Auto.

With previous ISP I had the same Huawei E3131s-2 stick, and obviously sim card was only 3g capable, because connections settings were: 2g only, 3g only and Auto.

That means I have 3g modem with 4g sim card and everything work fine with internet managers and direct connection from Win 7 64 bit (without internet manager).

So sim card knows that modem is not 4g capable (4g grayed). Why router does not know this?

I opened tp-link page you sugested  .... /en/support/faq/1663, but  mr3420 has not the same settings options as Archer mr200. I have no any option to change network mode to 3g only and 4g only as tip #2 says.

Options
2019-09-27 06:33:30

@Vladek 

Thanks for your reply; with the 4G sim card put into the 3G modem, the connection can be 3G only due to the limitation of the 3G modem.

Even though the TL-MR3420 supports 4G, considering it will negotiate with the 3G modem directly, not the 3G sim card, they can get 3G only. 

The configuration steps relates to the hardware version of your device, but they are the same; Go to internet page and select setup APN number, Dial number manually and enter these information manually. You can read the user manual to get the instruction. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-01 18:34:23

@Vladek 

Dear friends, I finaly  succeed and now i can connect to internet.

I created my profile and set dial number and apn. Technicians from my ISP told me that apn is: internet (just one word).

No connection. Then I found on some Croatian forum that apn for another Croatian ISP is: internet. name of ISP.hr

I tried with my apn: internet.my ISP.hr and connected without problem.

My procedure is:

turn on router

wait until On led and Wifi led stop blinking

plug in my usb modem to router

after a ten/fifteen seconds Internet led appear orange and after second or two is green

I am connected to internet. Connection type is 3g.

If I reboot or turn on router with modem already plugged in, there is no internet because Connection type is 4g.

I assume that it is not normal. Anyway I am satisfied. with my procedure.

Many thans for your efforts which help me a lot.

Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2083

Replies: 5

Related Articles