force device to always connect to a specific deco?

force device to always connect to a specific deco?

107 Reply
Re:force device to always connect to a specific deco?
2020-02-11 22:03:01

@Kevin_Z 

This would be a really useful feature.

I have 5 M5s four are Ethernet linked to the main Deco and one WiFi connected. For some reason my home PC server keeps connecting to the slowest Deco. I'll turn off Mesh tech when the server eventually connects to the correct Deco but being able to manuallly select and 'pin' a device to a Deco (or block others too maybe) would be great.

Options
2020-02-12 02:14:59

@Cyborg 

Hello, we have noted that and will forward it to our product department and they will work on it.

As a workaround, you can connect your client to the specific Deco first by disabling other Decos or move them further away and then disable mesh technology. Then the Deco won't suggest the client to roam between different band/APs.

May it help.

Options
2020-03-15 12:01:34

@moloko exactly the same issue here I have six m4 decos due to living in a Devon cob cottage with a barn conversion linked. 
my walls are 1.5 feet thick so wifi signals will not pass through so I have had to strategically place them to virtually be in eyeline of each other. Only problem is the fifth and sixth units keep trying to connect with the second one twenty meters away so they cut out the third and forth decos and connect with a seriously low signal whereas the third and fourth have full signal ! 
poor if you ask me as I have spent £60 on powerline extenders massive failure!!!!

now £300 on mesh and my 67 meg has been converted into 8 meg do at the moment I might as well have set light to that cash 🤣

mans now I have lost several icons from the homecare section on the app????

Options
2020-04-14 05:06:03

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, 

Do you mean that I need to take the plug out from the Deco I don't want it to connect to, let it connect to the Deco I want, turn off its mesh and then bring back the Deco I took out the plug from back in? 

Options
2020-04-23 08:28:37

@Kevin_Z In my case, I'm using some wireless cameras in my house. I let them connect to a specific Deco device and disable the Mesh option. Unfortunately, they constantly switching to the slower Deco device. In that case, I have to blacklist, then unblock the device and hope that it connects to the right Deco. It's so frustrated.

So specifying Deco device to connect is very useful in some cases

Options
2020-04-23 11:33:45

Kevin_Z wrote

As a workaround, you can connect your client to the specific Deco first by disabling other Decos or move them further away and then disable mesh technology. Then the Deco won't suggest the client to roam between different band/APs.

It may not suggest to the client to roam between different band/APs - but they still do.

It would be enormously helpful if it could be updated to add proper support for this.

Options
2020-06-22 15:01:16
@Kevin_Z -- how do you exactly accomplish this? turn off the mesh? therefore that 1 specific node will just work as am extender? The issue i'm having is my TV which is using a roku stick has an excellent 4/4 wifi bar connection to i believe the Main Unit + 1 of my M3 extenders. So it keeps jumping from one to the other, causing buffering. I would ideally like it to ONLY connect to the M3 extender and stop switching back and forth between the main M4R route and this M3 extender. How do I accomplish that?
Options
2020-06-23 16:04:47

@jarjoh the technique I've tried is to wait until that device is connected to the deco you want it to be connected to then disable 'mesh technology' for the device... unfortunately whilst this does seem to improve it, there's still occasions when it randomly decides to connect to a different deco. Still hoping that this is a feature TP-link will add. But given that it's been about 9 months since I first raised it, who knows if it will happen.

Options
2020-06-23 16:50:43

@moloko I keep seeing the term disable the mesh. How do you even do so? and then doesn't that kind of make it undiscoverable by other devices when they are near that node? I know it kind of defeats the logic of MESH -- but seems like such a simple fix/ask to make it so you can chooose a node if needed for a TV or something which isn't going to move from that location like a phone, tablet, or computer might. 

Options
2020-06-23 17:04:25

@jarjoh in the deco mobile app main screen, in the 'Devices' list find and then select the entry for your Roku stick, then select the cog icon in the top right. The screen that takes you to will have a 'Mesh Technology' switch control at the bottom which you should slide to the 'off' position. This does not 'make it undiscoverable by other devices', you are turning it off for the device that's conecting to the deco unit (i.e. your Roku stick) not for the Deco unit itself.

Options

Tags

Feature Request
connection preference
Related Articles