Deco M5 in AP mode sometimes act as a DHCP server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 in AP mode sometimes act as a DHCP server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
62 Reply
Re:Deco M5 in AP mode sometimes act as a DHCP server
2020-12-28 18:36:42

@TP-Link 

Do you some kind of ETA? Are we expecting it to be released in days? Weeks? Months?

Options
2020-12-30 06:20:07 - last edited 2021-08-30 02:37:57

Hi, All your feedbacks have been forwarded to the senior engineers already.

After confirming with them, There is already a plan to add the DHCP on/off switch on the access point mode;

And It is estimated to be optimized on firmware 1.6.0.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-02-15 07:04:01
I have the same problems with 3 deco M4s... It appears at random intervals - sometimes it works for a month - other times the Deco DHCP server comes up at a few days.... Obviously the TpLInk algo is not as smart as it should be as once it has taken over the network it doesn't release it -and nothing works anymore because of wrong DNS and gateway. Last time - after a few reboots of the decos and the router - when nothing worked - I just unplugged all 3 routers from the switch and tested that my router DHCP sill responded (it was working). Then I plugged one of the decos (not the main one) and the DHCP still worked. I plugged the second non master Deco and still worked - and finally I re-plugged the master deco to the switch and it seems it works. The only problem is that you need to be PHYSICALLY there - which is not always the case.
Options
2021-02-16 18:55:29

@TP-Link since the decos are now breaking people's networks, are you prepared to offer refunds? As a result of your negligence, the Deco line of products are now defective as they no longer serve their primary purpose. 

Options
2021-02-24 14:37:27

@TP-Link  to be clear: you don't need to say thank you, almost no one here is giving you any understanding or support. You are simple thieves and scammers. Solving the problem is as easy as commenting on the source code some lines of the "smart dhcp" and upload the new compiled firmware for updating the decos.

Options
2021-03-02 03:28:56

@TP-Link Ya, there's no way that this should take that long to implement! I've told lots of people about this "feature" and lots of people haven't bought TP-Link because of it. This should definitely be of higher priority. I can guarantee that I've cost TP-Link more in sales because of this than it would have cost them to get their programmer to add this in.

Options
2021-03-02 12:49:32

@Darkstar 

To be fair, the majority of people affected are those who run what can hardly be called "your average home network," which is just an ISP router and bunch of wireless devices accessing Internet individually.

It is going to be small vocal minority. Emphasis on small. I suspect Deco software development project manager(s) prioritize it considering this.

Options
2021-03-02 16:32:41
@Alexandre, As upset as I am with this 'feature' I do agree with your point. If this were just some feature that was annoying, I would be OK waiting. But this is a feature which has the potential to totally bring a network down across an entire home. Even if we are a small group impacted by this, the impact can be so severe (as it was in my case), that some action should be taken quickly.
Options
2021-03-02 17:29:29 - last edited 2021-03-02 17:30:07

I agree TP-Link should fix this but also accept that "regular people" (people not running their own modem, router, etc.) won't be impacted by this.

Until a fix is available one mitigation is to set up your home network subnetting such that even in the event the Deco decides to start serving DHCP, your traffic can still be routed to the internet. This isn't ideal, as things like DNS names for internal hosts won't work, but it's better than taking everything offline. Some ways back in the thread I have a post with details about how I did this. I will say I've had the Deco since November and other than my initial setup nightmare, everything has been working OK.

Options
2021-03-04 12:04:47

@Alexandre. sorry, but I disagree.

If someone has a "regular home network" will be affected too but the repairing method consisting of unplugging and plugging is enough in many cases.

Unfortunately, the industry made the "unplug and replug" a standard repair and maintenance procedure, despite it's unacceptable.
The people here in this thread don't want or simply can't restart the system this way and this makes a difference, that makes a huge difference.

Options