Archer C7 v2 (CA) with wrong region firmware installed. How to fix?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-10 02:29:34 - last edited 2019-10-25 11:25:27
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.15.3 Build 180114 Rel.39265n

Hello, so I purchased a Canadian Tp-Archer C7 v2 and I'm having a bit of difficulty when trying to flash to the Canadian firmware. I've seen a post (https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/158973?page=1) with regards to a user facing an identical situation (same firmware, version, router still works, bought in Canada, etc.) and he/she was able to receive assistance from a representative who was kind enough to pm them a solution that seemed to work - rather unfortunate as I would also have liked to know, hahaha. Any ways this seems to be a common problem and I was hoping I could ask the community for some help on the issue. I have tried some of the strategies used by the OP in the link such as renaming the file in hopes of tricking it into flashing the correct Canadian version of the firmware but to no avail. In addition, I would also like to point out that the router is still functioning with the current firmware - note: it has been updated since its purchase so it's possible that is has been flashed with the latest v2 US firmware by mistake. To provide a bit of context to my situation when I go to try and put the correct Canadian firmware I receive "Error code: 18005. Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name". Any assistance which could possibly help me get the correct Canadian firmware flashed would be greatly appreciated, thanks. My router details are as followed if they are helpful:

Model/Modele: Archer C7(CA) Ver: 2.0 (as per bottom of router)

Firmware Version: 3.15.3 Build 180114 Rel.39265n

Hardware version: Archer C7 v2 00000000

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C7 v2 (CA) with wrong region firmware installed. How to fix?-Solution
2019-10-10 03:13:31 - last edited 2019-10-25 11:25:27

@3lement 

Hello, you can use firmware recovery to install the CA firmware. 

Below is the instruction you can read: 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/582

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C7 v2 (CA) with wrong region firmware installed. How to fix?-Solution
2019-10-10 03:13:31 - last edited 2019-10-25 11:25:27

@3lement 

Hello, you can use firmware recovery to install the CA firmware. 

Below is the instruction you can read: 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/582

May it help and have a nice day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer C7 v2 (CA) with wrong region firmware installed. How to fix?
2020-07-10 00:46:29

@Kevin_Z Just wanted to say thanks, it's been working and has been stable since.

Options
2021-08-24 04:01:01

@3lement 

I just went through this process.  On the Internet both 192.168.0.66 and 192.168.1.66 are mentioned - for the Archer C7 V2, 192.168.0.66 is the correct IP address.

I used TFTP64, it required no configuration.

I connected the router to my computer via LAN port 1.  I don't know if other ports work.

I had to disable the Windows Defender Firewall on my computer - when it was enabled the process did not work.

On boot, while holding the Reset button, the TFTP transfer started within about 5 seconds and only took a couple seconds to copy.  

The filename the router requested was ArcherC7v2_tp_recovery.bin.

I left the router completely alone for 5 minutes then tried the default webpage at 192.168.0.1 and it was accessible with admin/admin and showed the new firmware version.

The entire process was done in 6-7 minutes.

Options
2021-09-18 22:43:25

Hello, how are you guys?

I have the model in the US version and I want to know if there is a difference in performance between the US and CA versions, I know that in hardware they are the same device. I recently tried using OpenWRT and didn't like it, so I screwed up returning to stock firmware by forgetting the correct procedure, but I recovered via serial recovery. I don't know if it's because there are some networks or because I had to choose channel 1, but I had the impression that the signal is lower. So, as I'm curious, I think there might be some improvement through different firmware.

Is it possible, or better to leave it as it is because it doesn't change much?

Note: Sorry if my english is wrong

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2138

Replies: 4