Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
333 Reply
Re:Deco M5 source signal selectable?
2021-04-21 15:08:52

@TP-Link 

Hi I have decos on the ground floor (kitchen), first floor and attic (main deco), the Kitchen deco should be picking up the signal from the first floor but is defaulting to the attic, can I change the signal source?

I have the deco M5.

Thanks

TP-Link wrote

@Olafmol 

Hi, All!

Currently, we have a beta firmware for Deco M5 which could help satellite Deco to find the best uplink Deco and optimize its signal source.

So the beta firmware might improve the issue Deco is not getting signal source from the nearest Deco

And if anyone with more than three Deco M5, was suffering from this issue and wanted to test the beta firmware, please leave me a private message with the following information:

1.  the network structure about how each Deco is connected;

(if possible, please help us mark their relative distance)

PS: the beta firmware would be updated via web UI and could be reverted back to the official firmware.

Thank you very much for your cooperation and wait for your reply.

Update:

Hi, Thank you for all your concerns.

We have the beta firmware for the following models which added a new network optimization feature and can help to optimize the network map of the Deco system.:

Deco M5, Deco M9 Plus, and Deco X60;

Please feel free to send me a private message if you want to test the beta firmware;

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

TP-Link wrote

@Olafmol 

Hi, All!

Currently, we have a beta firmware for Deco M5 which could help satellite Deco to find the best uplink Deco and optimize its signal source.

So the beta firmware might improve the issue Deco is not getting signal source from the nearest Deco

And if anyone with more than three Deco M5, was suffering from this issue and wanted to test the beta firmware, please leave me a private message with the following information:

1.  the network structure about how each Deco is connected;

(if possible, please help us mark their relative distance)

PS: the beta firmware would be updated via web UI and could be reverted back to the official firmware.

Thank you very much for your cooperation and wait for your reply.

Update:

Hi, Thank you for all your concerns.

We have the beta firmware for the following models which added a new network optimization feature and can help to optimize the network map of the Deco system.:

Deco M5, Deco M9 Plus, and Deco X60;

Please feel free to send me a private message if you want to test the beta firmware;

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-04-22 12:42:27

@TP-Link hi, i want try the beta firmware

Options
2021-04-23 10:48:41

@TP-Link I just sent you a DM about the Beta Firmware

Options
2021-04-26 11:30:38

@TP-Link hi, i want try the beta firmware

Options
2021-04-26 13:07:00

@AncapHeretic I just tried the ones provided in the links a few posts above and it has done the trick for me. Perfect - I would just merge this into the main release for everyone ASAP.

Options
2021-04-26 17:21:13

@MackPhoenix62 

I see some users report their joy that with the beta firmware the nearest Deco finally provides the signal source. Obviously that should not be the goal. What I would like to know is whether after their succesful update the wifi connection has improved in terms of stability and speed as well.  What are your experiences?

Options
2021-04-26 19:17:18

@Fi-Wi 

I would also like to know this. I have the Beta Firmeware and am a little reluctant to install it without knowing that. I've 4 M5s around the house and they all pair to the main unit, even though for one of them, thre's another 2 options that have full signal to the main unit. Anyway, if anyone could share their usage experience since applying the beta firmware (which is technially older than the existing full update if I'm going by the build numbers)

Options
2021-04-26 19:24:19

@TonyReilly it's certainly no silver bullet, it's not persistent- so if a unit is power cycled it normally returns to its farthest away node again. 

performance wize, there's still the noticeable drop from one floor to the next when doing download tests. Though definitely faster when the nodes are in the right configuration. 

ive only installed the beta one two and not my full network. 

one thing I've also noticed (and now blocked) the BETA firmware absolutely aniliates a time server - talking thousands of requests in hours, luckily I have DNS level filtering. 

Asides from that, I'd say it's worth the update 

Options
2021-04-27 01:32:55

@TonyReilly 

Hi, Thank you very much for all the sharing.

The good news is that the new firmware 1.6.0 for Deco M5 would allow us to manually choose the signal source and it would be released very soon;

So if you are not in a hurry, we can wait for a while for the official firmware;

(and if you are still quite interested in the beta firmware, please feel free to leave me a private message.)

Options
2021-04-27 07:50:05

@TP-Link Thanks for the update, appreciate how difficult it is to deliver such a change on such a scale. Happy to continue beta testing going forward. 

Slight side note - did you see my message above about the beta AP hitting eu.pool.ntp.org ? It was clocking up thousands of hits per day, seemed to start around 14:00 for a few hours. Kind of off topic, so will start up a  separate thread if needed.

Options
Related Articles