Can anyone explain how cloning my router's settings works?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-15 18:04:05
Model: TL-WPA8630 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm trying to understand what happens after I clone my network's settings from my router to the wireless powerline wireless extender.  If I connect my laptop to the SSID that's been cloned (in my case, "Lionsden"), how can I be sure I'm connecting via the signal from the wireless extender, as opposed to the (weaker) signal from the router, which is upstairs?  How does my laptop know which to connect to?  I want to be sure that I'm getting the stronger signal from the wireless powerline network extender, and not the router itself.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Can anyone explain how cloning my router's settings works?
2019-11-18 09:50:37

@AllanR 

With setting the same network name for the powerline adapter and the main router, it will make it more smoothy to connect one wifi from another. And you can enjoy the seamless roaming to some extent. 

While it is hard to verify which wifi network you have connected directly, you can use the 3rd party programme, like wifi analyzer to verify which device it belongs to. And we can use the wireless link speed to verify the 2.4GHz and 5GHz. 

If you want to ensure that your devices connect to the stronger wifi network, you can give them different names and connect to them manually. 

May it help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 359

Replies: 1