Prevent log via WAN/Internet - perhaps is OFF my local PC can using the WAN IP & can log in OK

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Prevent log via WAN/Internet - perhaps is OFF my local PC can using the WAN IP & can log in OK

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-27 12:40:45
Model: Archer VR600v  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1

Hi,

Just trying to make sure my vr600 is secure from being hacked

I of course have changed passwords but also wanted to make sure cannot access at all from outside my LAN.

Admin/Remote management is NOT turned on.

but I can open up the www page & log in using my WAN IP.

Now this is from my local computer so not sure if it actually knows this and bypassing but somehow think that unlikey.

Is there some other setting I am missing, not specifically turned anything off, I thought access was limited to loca by default. Is a new modem but had a few in the past.

Thanks I/A

Options
2 Reply
Re:Prevent log via WAN/Internet - perhaps is OFF my local PC can using the WAN IP & can log in OK
2019-11-28 06:04:37

@Bignose21 

To access the web UI to configure the router, the local management is enabled by default, that is why you can access it with the local PC. 

And the Archer VR600v supports NAT loopback, cause the port 80 is used for the local management by default, you can use the WAN IP to access the web UI. While that is secured. It is just a feature supported by the router; With remote management disabled, devices still cannot access it remotely. 

May it help. 

Options
Re:Prevent log via WAN/Internet - perhaps is OFF my local PC can using the WAN IP & can log in OK
2019-11-28 07:24:23

@Kevin_Z 

Hi,

Many thanks fo that info.

I hate to ask but not had much luck with another post I put perhaps you could comment as clearly know stuff about this router.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/177270

Basically I am trying to restrict WAN outside access to a specific port.

So to allow ONLY traffic from WAN IP address e.g. 54.78.23.66 through port 8000 on my router (VR600) to my phone SIP pbx.

I would have thought something under firewall?

I guess bit like service filtering but the other way round for incoming external access.

Virtual Servers is again the reverse of what I want, the traffic is actually getting through without port forwarding which I think is better but would still like to block is possible. As it is a phone system I don't have features like windows firewall.

I cannot see if possible, assumed it is but what settings.

Thanks again

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 706

Replies: 2