Adding another Deco M5 kills the whole network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-02 19:46:40 - last edited 2019-12-04 18:37:07
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

Bought a triple set of Deco's M5 last year, after my TP Link Archer didn't cover the house enought.

Old situation:

Put the Deco's in AP mode and connected them hardwired to the modem/router from my ISP. Everything worked fine on different UTP port on the modem. 

New situation:

I got a new setup-box from my ISP/TV provider (same company). With it came a new modem. 

When i installed the new modem and setupbox my internet went down. After trouble shooting for some time, i noticed that when i removed the second slave AP deco, internet worked fine.

Even put in a network switch to devide the UTP connection between the mediabox, AP Deco and the TV. Nothing worked.

It only worked when i disconnected the Slave AP Deco from the UTP, it then would use the wireless backhaul from the main deco and work. But that slowed the internet connection down.

Als tried to connect the deco with a new cable directly to the modem/router. After a couple of minutes it would kill al network/internet traffic. Even wired traffic at a different port.

Removed the slave ap deco from my main deco and reinstalled it twice. And one time give it a reset. Same problem, no internet. 

What could this be? I now need some extra coverage in my house and would like to use the second or thirth deco! 

According to the first topic in this map, in AP mode all deco's can be directly wired to the Modem/Router. 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Adding another Deco M5 kills the whole network
2019-12-04 03:15:37

@JunkMailKing 

What is the current network diagram? And what is the operation mode of the Deco M5? Are they still AP mode? 

What is the model number of the setup box and the new modem? Does setup box a regular wireless router? 

When the internet drops out, what is the led status of the Deco? With computer connected to the slave AP Deco, what is the IP address and gateway it obtained? Here is the instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/

Besides, please connect your computer to the main router directly to check the information mentioned above. 

Try to swap the location of the main Deco and slave AP Deco to verify whether it is the Deco itself or the configuration problem. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-12-04 15:04:42

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for your respons.

Just changed the two Deco M5's arround and same problem. Everything drops including the wired (PC) devices. 

AP's stay green, and wifi signal is full. Also tried multiple UTP cables, all work when one M5 is attached. 

Current Network diagramme in where the Deco M5's are all in AP mode

Modem/Router from ISP: 1 UTP cable on port 2 with the "Main Deco M5 connected

1 UTP cable on port 3 with the slave Deco connected. 

1 UTP cable on port 4 with a switch at the end for TV and Mediabox

Setup Box: Ziggo 4K Next decoder (UTP connected to switch, which is connected to Modem/Router). Setup box has no regular wireless router. That is being handeled by the ISP Modem/Router (IPV4 and IPV6).

Status led when connection drops: Both are green

IP from computer onnected to main deco is: 192.168.178.17. Main Deco (UTP) is 192.168.178.20 and Slave deco is (wireless connected to the Main deco, even is the UTP cable is connected in either port) 192.168.178.24. 

Also tried to connect the slave deco directly via UTP to the main deco, and in the TP Link app i can then see it is connected via Ethernet instead of wifi. 

I find this all very strange..... 

Options
2019-12-06 07:55:14

Interesting development yesterday, which might mean something for the experts

Since i now lack some wifi coverage, i connected the slave deco to a power socket and it ran on the wifi backhaul of the main deco. 

In the morning i noticed that both Deco's had the RED led light. But we had wifi signal and internet connection! The Deco App on my mobile phone also showed that both deco's where offline. 

Didn't pay much attention, tlll i tried to activate the alarm system for our house while leaving (Connected directly to the ISP modem via UTP on a different port as the Main Deco). The unit was offline since midnight. Had to restart the deco's and the modem before everything worked again, did not connect the slave deco (wirelessly) 

Options
2019-12-09 15:04:19

@Kevin_Z 

Another datapoint after 8 hours of trouble shooting this sunday.

Tried to connect the slave Deco M5 to different setups like ports and UTP cables. Everytime the slave deco connected to the wiresless bachkhaul (as seen in the TP link app), but just after restarting it gave an error message real quickly just besides the connection symbol Connection not supported by firmware or something in simmilar meaning. frown 

Also i found out that when i connected both M5's on a the same switch, it would work (shortly) with a Ethernet backhaul cool I used a TP-Link Archer C7 which was also in AP mode as a switch. When both M5's where connected on that switch (which was connected via UTP to the ISP modem/Router), then the ethernet backhaul was established. For reference, my ISP modem/router has also 4 ports. 

But unfortunalty that was not a long term solution, since the whole network slowed down again to terrible speeds ( 250Mbps normally, now just 15Mpbs). This also (still) affected the UTP wired devices in my network. 

I had no choice but to disconnect the slave deco from my network.

Any other setups i might try to get things working? Otherwise i am contemplating to just sell the 3 M5's and buy Ubiquiti stuff

Options
2020-05-06 14:05:52

@JunkMailKing @Kevin_Z

I have the exact same issue with my Deco M5's. Within a minute of connecting a second Deco via ethernet cable to my network the entire network craps out. 

I have tried using a TP link router in AP mode as a switch between my ISP router and the Slave Deco and yet again within a Min the whole network would turn red and die. 

Can someone at TP link please guide us as to what the issue is?

Options
2020-07-16 17:00:38

@VH27 hi folks! Facing the same problem.

Have 2 decos in the network - 1 master and 1 slave. As soon as I add the 2nd slave, the whole network breaks.

In another post, I read that the ISP router settings may need to be changed to switch off DHCP? Could that help?

Options
2020-07-17 06:45:06

@Kanav  @VH27   

Hello,

If you both have the crash issue with adding the 2nd or 3rd Deco M5 in the network, please provide the information mentioned below so that we can speed up the whole process and offer a solution:

1. What is the current network diagram? And what is the operation mode of the main Deco M5?

2. What is the model number of your modem? Is it a cable modem or DSL modem?

3. When the internet crashes, what is the LED status of the Deco M5s? With a computer connected to the satellite M5, what is the IP address and gateway it obtains? Here is the instruction to confirm it: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/

Besides, please connect your computer to the modem directly to check the information mentioned above. 

Good days.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1988

Replies: 7