Power Line adapter - Master Slave?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-03 00:44:37 - last edited 2019-12-05 07:29:03
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.2.4_902113_180511_904

Hi all,

I have recently purchased 4x TL-PA9020P and have them connected to 4x Google Wifi APs (1x AP is set as router and others are APs only).

Currentl looks like this: 

• ISP Router (bridge mode)
  • >>> Google AP (Router Mode)
  • >>> 8 Port Switch
  • >>> No.1 TL-PA9020P (Primary) 
    • >> No.2 TL-PA9020P >> Google AP
    • >> No.3 TL-PA9020P >> Google AP
    • >> No.4 TL-PA9020P >> Google AP

What confuses me is when I look at tpPLC and it shows me the topology it shows me that No.4 TL-PA9020P is the primary communicating out to 1,2 and 3. 

The only logic I can think of (because the primary appears to change around on tpPLC) is that tpPLC is drawing a map based on my laptops current path of connectivity. If that is the case that would make sense but otherwise I would of expected to see No.1 being the primary and has arrows pointing to all the other power line adapter (2,3 and 4).

So Question no.1 is that correct? Is the tpPLC mapping by route traversed? If it is not correct how do I mark the No.1 TLPA9020P to be the "Primary"/ Master.

Question no.2 which I also think I know the answer for but seeing as these devices are MIMO should I have two network links coming in from my switch into my first "primary" TL-PA9020P or is that going to create a loop?

Thanks,

Ger

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Power Line adapter - Master Slave?-Solution
2019-12-03 08:03:05 - last edited 2019-12-05 07:29:03

@PyroGer101 

The powerline adapter which you connect your computer to will be recognized as the master unit on the utility; if you connect your computer to the switch or the router, then the powerline adapter detected by the utility is the master unit through the interactions. 

You can rename these powerline adapters to distinguish them if you use your computer only. 

For the second question, MIMO is short for Multiple-in-Multiple-out, it is a feature which is enabled by default; we do not have to and cannot connect the primary powerline adapter to the switch with 2 ethernet cables. 

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Power Line adapter - Master Slave?-Solution
2019-12-03 08:03:05 - last edited 2019-12-05 07:29:03

@PyroGer101 

The powerline adapter which you connect your computer to will be recognized as the master unit on the utility; if you connect your computer to the switch or the router, then the powerline adapter detected by the utility is the master unit through the interactions. 

You can rename these powerline adapters to distinguish them if you use your computer only. 

For the second question, MIMO is short for Multiple-in-Multiple-out, it is a feature which is enabled by default; we do not have to and cannot connect the primary powerline adapter to the switch with 2 ethernet cables. 

May it help. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Power Line adapter - Master Slave?
2019-12-03 09:20:54

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you Kevin

Just so I understand correctly. You are saying I should not plug 2x network cables from my switch into the power line adapter?

Options
Re:Power Line adapter - Master Slave?
2019-12-05 07:28:55

@PyroGer101 

Correct, you only need connect one cable from the main router to the base unit. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2355

Replies: 3