Wifi Router randomly rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wifi Router randomly rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
140 Reply
Re:Wifi Router randomly rebooting
2020-11-20 11:12:50

@Dav3sky 

Hi, sorry to hear that.

Can you pelase confirm if you have disabled the NAT boost on the C9? If not, give it a go and confirm, thanks.

Options
2020-11-20 22:50:22

@Kevin_Z Unfortunately it does not seem to resolve the issue. I did save the log according to debug instruction, where should I submit?

Options
2020-11-21 05:02:50

I've had the C1200 v2 (US) for the last few years, and for the most part it's been rock solid.  The last few months, though, it's started suffering from the random reboot issue.  Updating to the latest stable firmware didn't help.  Updating to the beta version in the pinned solution fixed the random reboots, but broke uPnP for me, and made my online games no longer playable.  The router settings would say uPnP was working but my games couldn't connect to their servers.  Reverting to the latest publised stable version made my games playable again, but reintroduced the random reboot issue.  I'm getting multiple random reboots every day for the last several months.  I have cooling fans under the router 24/7 and the transmit power is set to medium, but that doesn't seem to help at all.

Options
2020-11-21 13:54:39

@Kevin_Z 

I updated with the beta firmware as directed for the C9 V5 and it is still rebooting multiple times per day.

Options
2020-11-23 05:54:34

@rokuta 

Hello, are you using the Archer C9? You may send the debug log to our support email and we will follow it up:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#E-mail-Support

Options
2020-11-23 05:59:44

@crashsuit 

May I know what kind of online games are you playing? Where did you find it is related with the UPnP feature on the C1200, is there any error message or any log that point to that?

You may try to change the DNS server on the internet to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, then confirm.

Options
2020-11-23 06:00:46

@mattyk151 

Hi, sorry to hear that.

Can you pelase confirm if you have disabled the NAT boost on the C9? If not, give it a go and confirm, thanks.

Options
2020-11-23 06:45:36

@Kevin_Z 

The game I play the most, and that I've had the most problems with using the beta firmware, is Warframe.  It requires UDP ports 4950 and 4955 open to communicate to matchmaking servers.  Normally, under the stable firmware, the router settings page for uPnP reports that the ports are being forwarded, and the game works fine.  Switching to the beta firmware, the router would still report that the ports were being forwarded, but inside the game, an error would pop up about opening the ports, and the game wouldn't connect to other players.  The game settings, firewall settings, AV settings, DNS settings, everything was the same as before, with just the switch to the beta firmware being the only change, so I guessed it was the beta firmware that was responsible.  Rebooting the router would help temporarily, some of the time, but always the ports would stop communicating after an hour or so.

The other day, after I posted my message, I actually turned the WiFi transmit power down to low, and turned up to max the cooling fans I have the router resting on top of, and that seems to have done away with the reboots on the non-beta firmware.  If it starts rebooting again, though, I'll try updating to the beta firmware again while using your recommended DNS settings to see how that works, and I'll let you know at that time if anything's different with regars to the uPnP issue I was having before.

Options
2020-11-23 07:36:12

@crashsuit 

Thank you so much for getting back with this detailed info. 

Except for the DNS server settings, you may also try to open the related UDP 4950 and 4955 ports on the C1200 manually and see if it helps if you still run any reboot issue and needs to be testing with the beta firmware.

Please let me know if there is anything we can do with the case, good day.

Options
2020-11-23 20:56:12

@Kevin_Z 

How do I do that?

Kevin_Z wrote

@mattyk151 

Hi, sorry to hear that.

Options
Related Articles