Archer C8 v1 rebooting randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-23 12:57:10 - last edited 2021-07-19 07:11:43
Model: Archer C8  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 4.0.0 Build 20160517 Rel. 44603

Hi

My Archer C8 randomly reboots and drops all connections. It's hard to tell how often it happens, because the connections aren't dropped for very long, but I suspect it's somewhere between every 12 hours and every few days. I've seen posts on the forum about people having similar problems with other models of TP-Link router, with a beta firmware patch suggested in some cases. I have the latest version of firmware currently available for download for this model, but not any beta versions. Should I try a different firmware, or something else?

In case it's relevant, I've also noticed that the LEDs on the router don't seem to light up any more.

Thanks

Fred

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C8 v1 rebooting randomly-Solution
2021-07-19 07:11:37 - last edited 2021-07-19 07:11:43

@FredS54465 

Hello, if any of you still encounter an issue with the router rebooting itself, it is suggested to follow the troubleshooting suggestions we updated here to address the issue, and report further if the issue persists:

[Troubleshooting] Router keeps rebooting randomly?

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C8 v1 rebooting randomly
2021-03-24 01:41:38

@FredS54465 

Hi Fred, we would like to know more details which will help us analyze the special reboot issue you are experiencing.
1. When did you purchase it, does the reboot issue occur when you first installed it or is it happening after some special activity, such as high loading or streaming? Have you ever upgraded the router firmware or changed some setting on it when this issue begins to happen?
2. When the C8 restarts, are all the LEDs turning off then on automatically and the internet on it will temporarily down then recover? How long does this process take?

3. How many devices are connected to A5, wired, and wirelessly? If possible, try to reduce the connected devices, modify the Transmit Power on the router to middle or low, then monitor again.
4. Are there any other range extenders or switch in the network? If yes, try to remove it first and confirm again.

5. Try to reset it to factory defaults by holding the reset button on it until all the LEDs go off then on, reconfigure it from scratch, then monitor again.

Options
Re:Archer C8 v1 rebooting randomly
2021-03-28 18:30:13

@Kevin_Z Thanks for getting back to me.

1. When did you purchase it, does the reboot issue occur when you first installed it or is it happening after some special activity, such as high loading or streaming? Have you ever upgraded the router firmware or changed some setting on it when this issue begins to happen?

I bought it in 2016. The issue has occurred in the last few months. I have not recently upgraded the firmware or changed any setting, although I have done both of those things in the past. There is no pattern to when the router reboots. It doesn't seem to be at times of unusally high loading. When it reboots both wired and wireless connections are broken. It is not even possible to connect to other devices on the network e.g. my PC cannot connect to my NAS (both wired connections).

2. When the C8 restarts, are all the LEDs turning off then on automatically and the internet on it will temporarily down then recover? How long does this process take?

I'm not sure about the LEDs as the C8 is in a different room to where I work. I have noticed that the LEDs are all off when the device is working. The restart does not take long, perhaps 30-60 seconds.

3. How many devices are connected to A5, wired, and wirelessly? If possible, try to reduce the connected devices, modify the Transmit Power on the router to middle or low, then monitor again.

There are about 50 devices on my network, once you include smart bulbs, smart speakers etc. About 15 of these are wired connections (through a couple of switches) and the rest are wireless. Most of these by their nature would not use much bandwidth. 

4. Are there any other range extenders or switch in the network? If yes, try to remove it first and confirm again.

There are two switches and two wireless access points (connected via powerline) in the network. Both switches and one of the access points are TPLINK. I have removed the one that is not TPLINK. The issue has not been resolved by doing that. 

5. Try to reset it to factory defaults by holding the reset button on it until all the LEDs go off then on, reconfigure it from scratch, then monitor again.

OK, I'll try this too.

Options
Re:Archer C8 v1 rebooting randomly-Solution
2021-07-19 07:11:37 - last edited 2021-07-19 07:11:43

@FredS54465 

Hello, if any of you still encounter an issue with the router rebooting itself, it is suggested to follow the troubleshooting suggestions we updated here to address the issue, and report further if the issue persists:

[Troubleshooting] Router keeps rebooting randomly?

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 612

Replies: 3