Archer C6 v2 randomly rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-08 23:46:55 - last edited 2021-07-19 06:05:29
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build 20191112 rel.36515

I just got my Archer C6 v2 installed, and testing it, I got high speed and good range as expected, but after some time the device started randomly rebooting for no apparent reason.

The System Log gives me no useful information, since it seems like it resets every time the device reboots. I did some testing, and the issue seems to happen only when I have one of my chromecast devices connected to it (though i'm not 100% sure of it).

Anyone had this issue or knows how to solve it?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C6 v2 randomly rebooting-Solution
2021-07-19 06:05:20 - last edited 2021-07-19 06:05:29

@Shahbaz1520 

Hello, if you still encounter an issue with the router rebooting itself, it is suggested to follow the troubleshooting suggestions we updated here to address the issue, and report further if the issue persists:

[Troubleshooting] Router keeps rebooting randomly?

Recommended Solution
Options
33 Reply
Re:Archer C6 v2 randomly rebooting
2020-06-09 00:33:09

@Rasinhas 

I too have the same issue, and my router is only 2 months old (yes, it started the stupid reboot thing AFTER my 30 days were up). Reading through other threads, someone got TP Link to reply, apparently there is a specific firmware fix that addresses this issue BUT of course they have to send you a special link in order for us to fix our hardware. 

I am hoping they reply to this chain as well so we can both solve this incredibly annoying issue, and not be stuck with $80 paperweights

Model: TP-Link Archer C1200 (Archer A6 v2.0)

Firmware: 1.1.5 Build 20191112 rel.36515(5553)

Please share/send the fix! 

Thanks

Options
2020-06-09 01:46:47

@Rasinhas 

What's the model of the Chromecast device? If this Chromecast device doesn't connect, will the Archer C6 be stable? Is this Chromecast device connected to C6 by cable or via wireless?

When the router reboots, how about the LEDs on it? How will the reboot recover, do you need to power it off then on or just wait for minutes and it will be back normal automatically?

What is the WAN connection type on the C6 and is there any special setting on it for the LAN devices? Please try to reset the router to factory defaults then configure it again to see if it still the same.

Options
2020-06-09 02:16:40

@Firingblind 

Can you please kindly show us the printed label on your Archer router, is it Archer A6 or Archer C1200?

As for the auto-reboot issue you reported, we just want to confirm more details and will try our best to figure it out ASAP:

1. Is there any special operation on the router or on the connected LAN devices when the reboot occurs, like downloading large files or playing games?

2. How often does this auto-reboot happen and how will it recover? Do you need to power cycle the router or it will recover automatically after several minutes?

3. What are the symptoms when it reboots? How about the LED's status?

4. Who is your ISP and what's the WAN connection type on the router?

Options
2020-06-09 02:51:23

@Solla-topee 

It is a chromecast 2 and it is connected via wifi. The router was only stable when my macbook was the only device connected to it via wifi. As soon as I started connecting to my smart TVs and my chromecast the router started rebooting.

When it restarts, the wifi and and internet leds turn off and the power led starts blinking until it stabilizes and the wifi and internet go up again. This process takes about 2 to 3 minutes. 

I don't believe factory resetting will solve my issue, since I just unboxed it like 6 hours ago.

I tried changing the operation mode but had no success. I'm, currently running it on AP mode.

I also tested disabling the 5GHz wifi and it still did not work properly.

Options
2020-06-09 03:12:21
You should update to the latest firmware and see if the issue is fixed.
Options
2020-06-09 03:25:31
I'm already on the latest firmware version according to the tp-link support site
Options
2020-06-09 03:34:48

@Rasinhas 

Which country are you located in? Please ensure you are using the original power adapter and it is 12V/1A.

BTW, do you mean you cannot switch to the Router mode? May I know who is your ISP and what is the network topology?

Options
2020-06-09 04:08:29

@Solla-topee 

I live in Brazil, and I am using the original power adapter.

And I can change it to router mode, I just changed it to test. My ISP is TIM and I'm using the Archer C6 connected to my ISP modem/router via ethernet cable. I'm using it basically to improve the wifi range in my house (the wifi range of my other router is pretty bad). 

Options
2020-06-09 12:37:35

@Solla-topee 

Apparently the router did not reboot for the whole night. I can say for sure it did not reboot for the last 2 hours, as it is the only time I can see on the syslog. Is there a way to check the full log? (SSH maybe?)

So, I assume the issue really is about some specific devices connecting to it. Any ideas how to solve it?

Options
2020-06-09 15:53:55
Updating the situation, the router just rebooted when only my macbook was connected to it, so I don't believe the chromecast and smart tvs are the issue. Honestly I'll probably just return the router and look for a better one...
Options

Information

Helpful: 6

Views: 7695

Replies: 33

Related Articles