Deco M9 Plus v2 firmware not possible to update and are missing features compared to v1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 Plus v2 firmware not possible to update and are missing features compared to v1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
354 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus v2 firmware not possible to update and are missing features compared to v1
2020-07-30 01:50:08

@BCornelis 

Hello,

Have you referred to my previous post? Please download the Upgrade Tool from this link and try again:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/deco-m9-plus/#Utility

If still shows incorrect username and password, please confirm again you typed in the correct ID and password as are both case-sensitive.

Good days.

Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus v2 firmware not possible to update and are missing features compared to v1
2020-08-08 18:13:06

@TP-Link_Deco I was able to do the firmware update and am in version 1.4 build 20200324 rel. 53529.  I haven't noticed any difference in my deco app though???  Shouldn't I be able to see what devices are running off of which node??

Options
2020-08-10 13:20:14

Just installed version 1.4.2 via the app.

No new features as far as I can tell.

Options
2020-08-10 19:03:59

Web GUI has been available from 1.4.0 and also you can see which device is connected to which deco plus some minor extras 

As mentioned above, version 1.4.2 is out

Update via app

Options
2020-08-18 01:50:22

@e3henri this is a mess, I am new to Deco and just trying to figure out things, but it seems all of those great features never made it to the latest firmware update. So dissapointed by @TP-Link. I also unable to map to my WD storage drive that is plugged in to one of the Deco routers nor access the app via Web Browser. Fix it @TP-Link !!!!!

Options
2020-08-24 12:56:55

@e3henri 

Sorry this reply is late, I just upgraded to the Deco m9 a few days ago... After about an hour researching, I found that a manual update is possible, but it requires accessing the command line from Windows 10.

Here is what I found.

NOTE: This worked for my Deco M9 v2.8 with firmware from October 2019. After this step, I was able to update via the app...

I can't attach them both because file attachment size limit is 30 MB. I created a Google Drive folder with the files: I hope this helps...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-QovDCBnpLceNqyYuPxXIT7ltsVNa0Fg?usp=sharing

Step 1

Connect a Windows computer to the Deco network wired or wirelessly.

Step 2

Open Command Prompt on the PC.

Just type in “command prompt” in the search box and select the application, then you will find a pop-up window.

Type in “command prompt” or “cmd” in the Search box:

Pop-up window:

Step 3

Copy and paste the following command in the pop-up windows and press Enter key to execute the command line:

for /l %a in (1,1,254) do @start /b ping 192.168.68.%a -w 100 -n 1 >nul

Note: Here 192.168.68. is the IP range of your Deco network. Please go to your Deco app and have a check what the IP range of your Deco is:

e.g. My LAN IP is 192.168.0.1, then i will type in the following commend:

for /l %a in (1,1,254) do @start /b ping 192.168.0.%a -w 100 -n 1 >nul

After that, just type in the following command and press Enter key to execute again:

arp -a

You will find a list of Internet Address & Physical Address. Please find the physical addresses that matches with your Decos.

Note: The MAC address is on the back label of Deco unit

Then write down the internet addresses of the Deco units.

Step 4

Open the unzipped folder, double click the upgrade_GDPR.exe

Then there will come up the upgrade window

Step 5

Fill in your TP-Link ID, Password, Deco’s IP address(in server) and firmware name(in firmware). Then click UPGRADE to upgrade the firmware.

Note: The firmware name is m9.bin here for your case.

Note: Please upgrade slave units first. If you upgrade the main unit first, it will reboot and may assign another IP address for the slave units. You need to scan the IP address again.

Step 6

It will take about 3-5 minutes before the firmware upgrade successfully. During the period, Deco’s LED will turn from Solid Green - Pulsing Green - Pulsing Yellow - Solid Yellow - Solid Green. Then you can see a Success window.

Step 7

Enter other Deco’s IP address and upgrade them in the same way.

File:
upgrade_GDPR.exeDownload
Options
2020-08-26 13:44:01
This works and my firmware on m9 v2 is updated and the app now has many of same features as my old m5’s. Great!
Options
2020-08-26 14:34:21 - last edited 2020-08-26 14:35:49

@JJ77 

I have to recognize. After I used the tplink application on the pc to update the firmware, the problem has now been updated automatically. Note: the application did not work on the operating system installed on the pc, but on a virtual machine it did. Congratulations on your work, keep improving.

Options
2020-11-26 21:00:30

@renaldok 

I repeatedly tried your manual, but in update_GDPR tool it keeps on giving this error:

We are in line of sight with the main Deco, distance about 3 meters in the living room.

What is going wrong? Anyone has any solution for this?

Tnx!

Options
2020-11-26 21:13:54

@josmar  Make sure you are running the application as an administrator. It is very possible that the application May not work with a version of Windows after Windows 10 1904. you can do a search through this forum for the executable and download it directly from TP-Link. There may be a more updated version that will work with whatever version of Windows you have. You could also try running it in compatibility mode for Windows 7 or Windows 8, that may work. Right click on the executable,  select properties, and then look for compatibility tab  Make sure to click apply or okay whatever option you have.

Options
Related Articles