Deco M5 Signal Source

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 Signal Source

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
40 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Signal Source
2021-08-18 10:17:06

@TP-Link Has this issue been resolved yet? I just bought a set of 3 and an extra one and I am finding that my slaves all connect to main unit even though there is a closer slave with full strength available. From what I have read in forums, this has been going on for some time. If there is no solution for these I will be returning mine right away. Bo chance I am playing musical chairs with turning some off an others on in a particular sequence for this to work as a mesh. This is ridiculous.

I was born to live and I live to die
Options
2021-08-22 17:28:09 - last edited 2021-08-22 17:29:19

I own 5 M5s and have nothing but regrets. 

How manually being able to select a signal source wasn't thought to be a core feature is pure incompetence.

To anyone looking to buy this and is doing their research, do not buy. I can not recommend anyone to purchase a TP-Link product based on this experience. No matter how many Decos you buy, your entire house will be bound to the one main Deco. What a farce! TP Link should be ashamed of themselves for advertising their product in such a manner, knowing full well it fails to do what the people who are going to buy it are expecting. 

Options
2021-08-23 02:25:19

@really-annoyed 

Hi, there is a firmware 1.6.0 (For Deco M5 only )available for trial and if you are interested, please have a check of your message box.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-08-23 12:12:42

@TP-Link hi - please could i get the link to the 1.6 version ? The signal source issue is driving me mad

Options
Re:Deco M5 Signal Source-Solution
2021-08-24 03:40:29 - last edited 2021-08-25 03:23:04

@BigBadBarry 

Hi, for anyone who is interested in the 1.6.0 beta firmware for Deco M5, please have a look at this link:

[New Firmware] Deco M5 1.6.0

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-08-24 16:48:10

Anyone had the chance to test this beta firmware?

Options
Re:Deco Signal Source
2021-11-14 10:13:07 - last edited 2021-11-14 10:16:34

Hi,  

I've just purchased the Dec M9 + set of 3.  I have a TP Link Archer AX6000 as the main router, connected to a modem to fibre broadband to the internet.  Although the Archer is a good product still getting issues with streaming audio to my network streamer which is 15 metres away as affected by neighbours' wifi mesh systems. 

So decided to go for the Deco M9 set of 3.  All Decos are on the same floor, the main deco is in the lounge, connected to the Archer router by ethernet cable, the second 5 metres away in the next room (one wall in between), the third 5 metres from the second (one wall in between).

Unfortunately, I have the same problem as many people are having - the third deco by the streamer is linking to the deco in the lounge (even though the signal is showing as very weak) instead of the one in the next room only 5 metres away.  The signal strength of the Deco system in the room with the streamer is far weaker than the signal from the Archer router.  I can't select which Deco the third Deco uses as it's source.

I'm really surprised and frustrated that the third deco is sourcing from the main one, furthest away (which actually shows on Deco's own app as having a very weak signal).  I can't see the point of this system if it can't source from the nearest deco with the strongest signal.  Is there any software update  due to fix this for the M9 plus?  If so when?   I note as of today the app says I have the latest software.  I need to know soon otherwise I can't return the product for a refund.  Thanks.

Options
2021-11-15 11:54:48

@GerryR_ 

Hi, Currently, there is no beta firmware for Deco M9 plus to allow manual selection of signal source.

And it has been planned to be added to the firmware 1.6.0.

If you would like to spend a little time, I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers.

Please refer to this link and try to install the beta firmware on this link:

[Deco] Manual Signal Source Selection

If it is not working, please send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com with the following information:

1. a picture of your network topology about the location and distance of Deco units.

2. a screenshot of the signal source strength on the third Deco.

3. is there any specific problem caused by the wrong signal source, like slow speed, unstable connection?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-12-12 19:52:07

@TP-Link Please let us know when the M5 signal source selection will be released outside of Beta? I've tried to update my M5s via the web management to the pre-release 1.6 to be able to select the signal source but it just says Operation Failed...

Thank you.

Options
2022-03-02 14:49:15

@TP-Link 

Is there also a beta firmware for deco P9 v2?

i just got mine today, and after setting them up, i came across this issue. My plan was to replace my current google wifi system with Deco P9 but considering this issue, Deco P9 will be useless for me and is not worth the replacement. 

I was really excited to use them, but i might have to return them.

Options
Related Articles