FUTURE BUYERS BEWARE!!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

FUTURE BUYERS BEWARE!!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
80 Reply
Re:FUTURE BUYERS BEWARE!!
2020-01-29 08:44:59

@realjax I've been very vocal about some of the flaws in the Deco firmware, the fact that a £200 mesh system doesnt give you the ability to manually select Wifi channels is beyond a joke.

TP Link support really really need to start working on these basic options, the hardware itself seems powerful and reasoably stable, its the firmware that is letting the product down badly.

Options
2020-02-09 10:22:59
Just updated my 6 M5s to 1.4.2 firmware hoping to see the horrible network instability of the last month, since 1.4,resolved but NO! The train wreck of the 1.4.x firmware continues - this is beyond a joke and TP-Link really need to get to grips with poor s/w quality or goodbye
Options
2020-03-06 13:50:53

@DjD I use 5 x M5 with firmware 1.4.2 and ethernet backhaul on AP mode.

it is now working flawlessly (with the the obvious exception of not being able to select channels and/or encryption level etc.).

I had major instability issues in the past which were "magically" resolved when I updated all units to 1.4.2 and then restored them all to factory settings and setup my mesh from scratch. from that point on things are great as I said.

Options
2020-04-01 08:31:17 - last edited 2020-04-01 08:31:57

@realjax 

Wish I had read this before I bought my M9 plus v2. The M9 plus got good reviews; but I never knew that there were two versions: one that works (v1)and the v2 that lacks lots of software features. Terrible product strategy and terrible customer support. For now I have to "wait" until they release an update...

See: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/179488

Options
2020-04-01 18:21:44 - last edited 2020-04-02 09:04:46

We could also add the issue to access management UI from both web and app when Deco M9 is switched to AP mode.

(M9 are "unreachable" but still handle traffic) Un-ability to integrate the M9 in a flat network (NATing, DHCP, loopback, issues, ...)

Tp-Link might learn to build proper finished product before selling ...

As learned story, NEVER EVER tp-link again.

A very disappointed customer who just trashed his tp-link switches, smart plugs, Deco M9's.

Options
2020-04-01 23:15:50

@jdhatch 

Wish I'd seen this thread before I bought mine.

Had nothing but trouble since setting up my P9s in AP mode.

Repeated, frequent connection dropouts and mysterious "connected with problems".

Lots of devices say they have wifi connections but can't access the internet whilst wired devices have no problems.

The deco app is garbage and has next to no functionality.

I'm almost certain the "smart" dhcp server is the problem.

Mine are going back. That will be my last ever tp-link purchase. I'll do more research next time and get something a bit more professional.

Options
2020-04-02 02:06:39

@Peter__C 

Hi, we are so sorry for the inconvenience caused here. 

If you have not returned it, we can do further troubleshooting as mentioned in this thread. https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/177276?replyId=425372

Good day. 

Options
2020-04-02 02:20:42 - last edited 2020-04-02 02:21:59

P9 shouldn't have been released before this new update (vaporware?). I did research the deco app and I saw that it showed you which AP each wireless client is connected to as well as which backhaul was being used but I had no idea that their latest AP model wouldn't have those obvious features.

I'll add a few things from my pain with the P9 to help others in the same boat.

Set up your P9's in Router mode, if you try to add a 3rd P9 to a AP mode mesh it doesn't seem to work. You can add 3 P9's in router mode then switch to ap mode. They seem to successfully switch and all reboot. In AP mode however I get all kinds of dropped packets and wifi issues. AP mode just seems buggy. I hate the idea of having a daisy chain of routers but that's the only way it's going to be stable from my experience.

Only when I connect to the "Main deco", by toggling wifi on my phone and being right next to the AP does my speedtest match my real internet speed. The same test near AP's elsewhere in my house which are ethernet wired. If I unplug the ethernet cable it blinks red (shouldn't it switch to powerline/wireless backhaul?). If wireless and powerline is available which one would it prefer? Who knows. 

Options
Re:FUTURE BUYERS BEWARE!!-Solution
2020-04-02 05:02:56 - last edited 2020-04-02 06:48:08

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin, why do you insist on marking any response as an accepted solution.

You did the same thing on the numerous threads related to the widespread Smart DHCP issue on this community forum.

It has been almost a year since the first reports of issues and a growing number of people have reported problems with the same issue. A response of "engineering is aware and will keep an eye on similar feedback and evaluate the feasibility" is simply not a solution. It's a "so what" statement. It tells the customers, that have experienced this issue, that you don't care even to provide a concrete answer on how this can be solved. Regardless of the fact they have spent money on the product.

The last firmware update for the M9 Plus v1 was from August 2019. We are in April 2020! No information on when, or what, is coming in terms of big fixes and feature improvements. Even worse for the poor folks who bought the v2 hardware.

I am joining others here in vowing not to purchase and TP-Link hardware going forward. The Deco range was such a promising product, let down by poor product management and communications with people having real technical issues. The fact there is a "Smart DHCP" feature, hidden and cannot be disabled, dishing out IP addresses most likely not compatible a network setup, says it all really about the lack of considered thinking that went into this product line.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-04-04 06:49:32

It will be my last TP-Link purchase as well and unless the configuration and firmware improves.  I also will not be recommending TP Link products to anyone else.

Options