Deco M9 Plus v2 firmware not possible to update and are missing features compared to v1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 Plus v2 firmware not possible to update and are missing features compared to v1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-12 20:24:13 - last edited 2020-07-05 17:56:41
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.10 Build 20190809 54285

I have v2 and the DECO app reports that I have 1.2.10 Build 20190809 54285

On the webpage https://www.tp-link.com/de/support/download/deco-m9-plus/#Firmware however there is a newer 1.2.11 20190926 55727

Why does the DECO report that I have the latest firmware and why cant I upgrade to 1.2.11?

On the other hand what Im really asking for is to get the same features as HW v1 got.

You have release 1.3.0 with lots of new features and it was built in August and Released in October. Why dont we get that for revision v2?

All these things was release on Ocotber for revision v2

Modifications and Bug Fixes:
1. Added support for IPTV bridge mode and custom mode.
2. Added IPv6 firewall rules feature.
3. Added Mesh Technology option.
4. Displayed which client is connected to which deco and which Wi-Fi band.
5. Displayed how Decos are connected to each other.
6. Supported up to 64 entries each for Address Reservation and Port Forwarding.
7. Improved the system stability and fixed some bugs.

Notes:
1. Please update your Deco App to the latest version in order to use new features.
2. If there are other Deco models in your Deco network, you may miss some new features till other models release updates in the near future.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M9 Plus v2 firmware not possible to update and are missing features compared to v1-Solution
2020-07-03 08:35:30 - last edited 2020-07-05 17:56:41

@e3henri 

Hello, sorry to respond late.

As mentioned in this below post, this 1.4.0 version firmware for the Deco M9 Plus can ONLY by updated via the Upgrade Tool and will not be pushed via the Deco app, so it is suggested to upgrade it by following the instructions attached in the firmware download file:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/212300

This version is an officially released firmware and it is not a beta test one, so don't worry about it.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
354 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus v2 firmware not possible to update and are missing features compared to v1
2019-12-13 02:53:49 - last edited 2020-07-03 10:24:51

@e3henri 

Thanks for your requesting. The 1.2.11 is the latest firmware for the Deco M9 plus; the reason why you cannot get the update is that the 1.2.11 is the original firmware of the new batch Deco M9 plus V2, which means the Deco M9 plus with 1.2.10 or below firmware won't be able to get the updates via Deco app.

And there is no big difference between the 1.2.11 and 1.2.10;  you do not have to install it on your Deco M9 Plus. 

Besides, these new features will be added via the firmware upgrading, the engineers are working on it, but the estimated supporting time is still unsure. It is very recommended to keep an eye on the official website or Deco app to get the new info. 

May it help. 

Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus v2 firmware not possible to update and are missing features compared to v1
2019-12-13 07:02:31

Kevin_Z wrote

@e3henri 

Thanks for your requesting. The 1.2.11 is the latest firmware for the Deco M9 plus; the reason why you cannot get the update is that the 1.2.11 is the original firmware of the new batch Deco M9 plus V2, which means the Deco M9 plus with 1.2.10 or below firmware won't be able to get the updates via Deco app.

While you can upgrade it manually. You can download the firmware from the official website and login to the web UI to update it. 

Besides, these new features would be added via the firmware upgrading, the engineers are working on it, but the estimated supporting time is still unsure. It is very recommended to keep an eye on official website or Deco app to get the new info. 

May it help. 

@Kevin_Z 

I used to have a m5 mesh network but added 3 m9 plus v2 stations and changed one of those to become the main unit. All 6 are in access point mode. The software version of the m9  plus is the same as mentioned above. If I now try to login to the web UI on the m9 plus main unit  I get the following error:

Not Found,

the requested URL /webpages/login.html was not found on this server.

Before adding the m9 plus I Could login using web UI on the m5. After adding, I can still login on the original m5 but the UI is now very limited.

Is is expected that I can't login on the m9 plus and do a manual upgrade?

Options
2019-12-13 09:12:31

@Kevin_Z I got the manual update instructions from support and that includes using a upgrade_GDPR.exe tool that support was unable to find for me (they say it shall be part of the firmware zip file, but it is not). So I was stuck on finding that tool.

But now you are refering to a webgui instead for firmware update. I have tried to just enter the IP of my deco units in a webbroswer but it just says no response. So please provide more information on how to access the web gui (I can not even find a webserver in the units). Please note that I'm using AP mode it that has any effect....

A bit strange that you sell these v2 hardware units that are unable to automatic update, why dont you add this information to the firmware page or provide more breif instructions on how to manual update them? I was expecting my DECO to be continously updated when you release new firmare to keep up with possible security patches. Not that it is just silently not updating without any error or notification.

Options
2019-12-13 12:12:48

@e3henri 

looks like we are experiencing the same problems

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/178170?page=3

the update tool you are talking about i did find it on this forum to but unfortunatly it's the same result as any other attempt to update is failed...

Options
2019-12-13 13:26:53 - last edited 2019-12-13 18:03:17

@josve 

So you tried to manually update to 1.2.11 but it failed ?

If so are you still on the old fw or are they bricked?

Not sure I dare to do this. Tp should really fix the auto update. This is not really acceptable and I am considering to do return rma it

Options
2019-12-13 18:02:59

@josve yeah Im pretty sure this is a catch 22. You need never firmware to be able to use the webgui in order to update....

Options
2019-12-13 20:31:20

@e3henri Catch 22 was not something i knew of had to google it cheeky but it really is exactly that!

that is why today i decided to gave my retailer a call, they where more then happy to help me, for now they are sending me a new package to try out and check if it has the new firmware.

if my problem is not solved then i will probably return it to them and start my search for another system.

it's a shame but it is not looking like tp-link has any decent solution to this problem, except for telling you to manually update it which you simply can't...

Options
2019-12-16 13:30:56
Just bought a 3 pack Deco M9+ which turns out to be the v2 with old firmware. Manually upgrade is not possible as there is no web interface present. Updating via the app does not work - it indicates that the old firmware is the most recent. Very strange and not what I was expecting when buying this rather expensive set. Should I return the set?
Options
2019-12-16 14:03:49

@Robert_M 

Still waiting for @Kevin_Z to come back with the way forward. But no response in this thread or in my support case. 

Either 

1 Please fix the automatic update (I am actually working with firmware update in my own profesion and the answer why this is not working makes no sense. Normally it is very rare compability issues that prevents updates)

2 Or give us access to the upgrade_GDPR.exe tool

3 Or tell us how to use the web gul

Or else I absolut support to return it. Getting units that can not be update should be consider broken/non functional.

Options
2019-12-17 02:41:55

Hi all, 

Sorry to respond late; I confirmed again that the Deco M9 plus V2 does not support web UI yet, that is why you failed  to access the web UI. While we are working on these new features now. Sorry for my mistake.

And we do have the upgrade tool to do that manually; but if you want to get the new features by upgrading the firmware, I'm afraid that it won't satisfy your needs cause there is no new features added on 1.2.11 yet; it is just the original firmware of Deco M9 plus v2 for some specific areas. No big difference between 1.2.10 and 1.2.11.

Thanks for your support and kindly understanding in advance. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 12

Views: 101847

Replies: 354

Related Articles