Getting slow download speed using ethernet from TP-Link Archer C6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-31 21:32:24 - last edited 2020-10-23 03:50:41
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 20191014

Hello,

I recently bought a new TP-Link Archer C6 AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Router for my new 100 Mbps connection. I'm getting great speed over wifi @ 5GHz mode. But when my PC is connected to the router using ethernet. For some wierd reason my download speed is very slow but my upload speed is alright.

I wanted to make sure that my ISP has no issues. So I even tested the speed results from my old TL-WR841N V11 router. Using my old router I got a good speed for both download and upload speeds.

Now all the test were done while wifi was turned off and all tests were done on same server. Also one wirless test done on 5Ghz network.

Here are the speed check results.

TP-Link Archer C6

Ethernet

Download: 45 Mbps (Average) BAD
Upload: 95 Mbps (Average)

Wireless 5Ghz

Download: 95 Mbps (Average)
Upload:97 Mbps (Average)

TL-WR841N

Download: 87 Mbps (Average)
Upload: 95 Mbps (Average)

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Getting slow download speed using ethernet from TP-Link Archer C6 -Solution
2020-10-23 03:50:34 - last edited 2020-10-23 03:50:41

@cgDude    @Martin-zn    @AC1200ArcherA5    @AC20-user   @thinktank_12    @Nanosecond 

Hi, apologies for responding late.

For the LAN negotiation issue you encountered, please try the below suggestions and get back to the community with the details if it cannot be solved, thanks.

1. Log in to the web UI of the Archer C6 (or you have the other model) and go to the Basic-Network map page, click the Archer C6 image/icon and scroll down this page, you will see the Ethernet negotiation speed of the LAN ports, show us the screenshot:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2472/

2. Go to Advanced-system tools-system parameters to edit the duplex, change it to 1000Mbps full-duplex if you have a gigabit line, then reboot the router.

3. After that, try to test the negotiation speed on your PC again. It is strongly suggested changing another cat5e or cat6 cable. 

4. It is also suggested changing another wired device with gigabit Ethernet ports to do a test. 

5. What is the length of the Ethernet cable between the C6 and your PC, in other words, what is the distance between them? Is it the same cable when you are testing the speed with your modem directly?

6. Is it possible to get a gigabit switch to perform a test? And it is suggested to use a shorter cable and confirm again.

If none of the above works, please tell us the brand and model number of the gigabit Ethernet adapter on that PC, we will check and investigate further. Thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options
22 Reply
Re:Getting slow download speed using ethernet from TP-Link Archer C6
2020-01-02 06:06:57

@creat0r 

Hello, try to change another ethernet cable and ethernet port to test the wired speed. 

Meanwhile, with computer connected to the Archer C6 by ethernet cable, please click here to get the wired negotiation speed. 

Note: The steps are the same, you need click ethernet connection not wireless connection. 

Besides, please ensure that the current firmware is the latest one. 

May it help. 

Options
2020-05-14 05:54:34 - last edited 2020-05-14 06:26:39

@creat0r I'm also getting speed capped at 94 mbps, but for download, on a cat 5e ethernet cable. If I bypass the router and connect computer directly to modem I get 940mbps.

I tried this, and yes I got a 1gbps line connection, but the router is acting like it's a 100mbps connection to the internet. It's not negotiationing properly with the cable modem.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2265/

Options
2020-05-15 14:45:47 - last edited 2020-05-15 15:22:53

@creat0r I too face similar issue. All of sudden the LAN connection dropped to 0.5 Mbps on download. Upload was ok at 90 Mbps.

wifi works ok too. Only LAN download is an issue.

Options
2020-07-06 02:29:08

@creat0r 

Under Advanced, there is an option to leave 1 GBPs on Ethernet. It's under System preferences.

Also, try to disable content tracking on your browser, on the Laptop. I am facing an issue where Router becomes unresponsive If content tracking is enabled on my laptop.

Options
Re:Getting slow download speed using ethernet from TP-Link Archer C20
2020-07-22 18:46:38

I'm also having same issue from past 2 weeks with Archer C20. I was using this from last 8 months but had the issue only from last 2 weeks.

My download speed went to 0.5 Mbps on both wired and wireless connections on the router.

If I use my ISP connection directly , there is no issue.

So , I thought the router has gone bad and order a new one same model and now that also is having same problem.

Looks like its TP link issue as I am seeing same complaints from many users on TP link forums

Options
2020-08-22 15:39:08

@creat0r 

I bought the tp-link AC1200 Archer A5 device today. I have 1000 Mbps connection at home. when I connect my macbook directly to the internet using without router either using wifi or lan cable I get internet speed of arounbd 800 Mbps. But as soon as I introduce the router, the speed is limited to 100Mbps. On the admin console I can see the ethernet speed both incoming and outgoing as 100Mbps.

Options
2020-09-22 04:20:01

Is there a fix for this ? I also have the exact same issue with a new C80 router.

Options
2020-10-22 12:03:16

@creat0r Can we expect some solution from @tplink or should I return it. I am not gonna take this crap with me if I wont get instant solutions to my problems I have paid a big amount and I don't expect such a crap.

Options
Re:Getting slow download speed using ethernet from TP-Link Archer C6 -Solution
2020-10-23 03:50:34 - last edited 2020-10-23 03:50:41

@cgDude    @Martin-zn    @AC1200ArcherA5    @AC20-user   @thinktank_12    @Nanosecond 

Hi, apologies for responding late.

For the LAN negotiation issue you encountered, please try the below suggestions and get back to the community with the details if it cannot be solved, thanks.

1. Log in to the web UI of the Archer C6 (or you have the other model) and go to the Basic-Network map page, click the Archer C6 image/icon and scroll down this page, you will see the Ethernet negotiation speed of the LAN ports, show us the screenshot:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2472/

2. Go to Advanced-system tools-system parameters to edit the duplex, change it to 1000Mbps full-duplex if you have a gigabit line, then reboot the router.

3. After that, try to test the negotiation speed on your PC again. It is strongly suggested changing another cat5e or cat6 cable. 

4. It is also suggested changing another wired device with gigabit Ethernet ports to do a test. 

5. What is the length of the Ethernet cable between the C6 and your PC, in other words, what is the distance between them? Is it the same cable when you are testing the speed with your modem directly?

6. Is it possible to get a gigabit switch to perform a test? And it is suggested to use a shorter cable and confirm again.

If none of the above works, please tell us the brand and model number of the gigabit Ethernet adapter on that PC, we will check and investigate further. Thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-11-18 17:46:31
Model: Archer A6 Hello, I recently bought a new TP-Link Archer C6 AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Router for my new 100 Mbps connection. I'm getting great speed over wifi @ 5GHz mode. But when my PC is connected to the router using ethernet. For some wierd reason my download speed is very slow but my upload speed is alright. I wanted to make sure that my ISP has no issues. So I even tested the speed results from my old Netgear router. Using my old router I got a good speed for both download and upload speeds. I have managed to set the negotiation also and im using cat 6 cable.The issue remains same.But when i tried this same stuff with different laptop the upload an download speed is working as expected.it seems it was not working for some laptop which im suspecting due to some software or driver issues.Kindly update on this issue as many users are facing these issue as per the thread.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 41979

Replies: 22

Related Articles