TL-WPA4220 looses internet connectivity after few days of uptime

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WPA4220 looses internet connectivity after few days of uptime

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
43 Reply
Re:TL-WPA4220 looses internet connectivity after few days of uptime
2020-10-05 08:51:27

I have been a TP link powerline user for 5 years. I was using TL-H18 for 4 or 5 years and decided last week to upgrade to TL-WPA4220. I installed it (base + 2 x wifi) on Saturday night (static IP on base unit, change SSID, force to 40MHz). I had some problems getting the WiFi settings aligned on both 4220 units (it seems that WiFi Move feature isn't that robust) but apart from that all was fine.

So I settle down to work in my home office this (Monday) morning and after 15 mins my PC (connected by Eth to a 4220) couldn't reach the internet. I had a ping running to the base unit (4010) in the background since Saturday PM - so I am sure of the time of failure. After some poling around it appears that the base unit (4010) had rebooted and dropped my static IP (reverting back to DHCP) but kept all other settings. I also had to power cycle one of my 4220 units to get it to connect back to the base (4010) unit.

After reading this thread - it seems my symptoms were similar to other reports - so I have done the down grade to TL-WPA4220_V4_180308 (link on the 2nd page of this post worked). I will keep monitoring. I will post again in case of further issues.

Options
2020-10-05 08:53:21
Kudos to @videodrome Here is a re-post of the firmware link https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201804/20180420/TL-WPA4220_V4_180308.zip
Options
2020-10-05 09:35:59

videodrome wrote

@Dark-vash

If your TL-WPA4220 only loses connectivity for a minute or two and re-establishes the connection itself (without a reboot), then the problem may be powerline interference or some other issue with your house wiring. Seems unlikely to be a fault with the device itself, and if you can access the web interface at all times without having to power cycle the adapter, then it's definitely not the same problem described elsewhere in this thread.

Is the TL-WPA4220 paired with a TL-PA4010? If you haven't done so already, try resetting both and pairing them again. Failing that, consider what other electrical devices are powered on after 6pm that could be injecting powerline noise. Even something as simple as a phone charger could be the culprit. Powerline issues are notoriously difficult to troubleshoot. 

@videodrome 

The issue is still happening. But right now, i'm putting my money on my desktop. I work all day (laptop connected via Ethernet), I play my consoles (Wifi) and never experience any issue. When I use my desktop, then it happens when browsing the internet. So my Desktop or even the SO is causing the disconnection. I cant manage to understand why or what is causing it. 

Options
2020-10-19 14:59:19 - last edited 2020-10-19 15:01:27

Hi All

I need to post an update.

Although having a wireless comms R&D background I got confused by how (poorly) TP-link manage a system with multiple powerline units (i.e. the WPA4220) (I think TP link did this much better with the TL-H18!). In my case I have a base unit and 2 x WPA4220. I assumed that the master of these 3 units would be the base (non-WiFi) unit - and this is the unit with the web server and management IP address. It seems this is not so! The management IP address seems to be somewhat virtual between the 2 x WPA4220's - i.e. any WPA4220 can use it - but only 1 at a time.

How did I figure this out?

In my previous post I mentioned that I downgraded my system from the 2019 SW to the 2018 SW (https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201804/20180420/TL-WPA4220_V4_180308.zip) - it seems that this downgrade only happened on 1 of my 2 WPA4220's! I eventually figured that out because 1 of my WPA4220's was still "flaky" and using the tpPLC app on my smartphone to query each WPA4220 firmware version locally over WiFi (painful). So I then had to connect locally (LAN) to each WPA4220 to downgrade the firmware.

Honestly - TP-Link you could do much better in the management GUI and access of a system that could have 1+4 active elements in it.

Options
2020-10-27 12:28:52

Hi All

Another update.

It seems my flaky unit (downstairs) is still flaky despite being downgraded to wpa4220v4_eu-up-ver4-0-2-P1-20180308-rel37064.bin. The other 4220 (upstairs) in my network is solid as a rock. For the flaky unit - the scenario seems to be:

1. Power up - all working fine - WiFI & Eth

2. After less than 48hrs (but more than 24hrs) the problems start - they seem to build up

• WiFi is available but cannot reach internet
  • Ethernet is available but DHCP not working. I even tried configuring my laptop with a static IP in the same subnet as the TP Link admin static IP - but could not reach the TP link GUI.
  • TP link GUI (from my working 4220) reports that the flaky powerline adapter is present but the link speed is 11Mbps for TX and RX
  • At some point the WiFI stops being broadcast on the flaky unit

3. Throughout all of this there is no change to the faceplate LEDs - the lights are on but no-one is home.

I am at the point of returning the whole system and ordering again to see if I get lucky and get 2 working 4220's - unless someone has any bright ideas?

Options
2020-11-21 13:16:15

Just to add my voice to the mix. Found this thread after my unit was dropping off the network every two or three days needing a hard reboot. Rolled back the firmware as advised and it's been up for a week so far, so seems like a fix.

Options
2020-11-22 00:01:42

Having similar issues but does anyone also lose their internet connection on their router wifi at about the same time (can connect to wifi signal but no internet connection, just like the powerlines)? Pretty confident that the ADSL signal is stable. Lights stay on and ISP have no record of drop out. Usually happens when a device connects. Sometimes sorts itself out and sometimes needs a reboot. Very weird.

Options
2021-09-10 20:42:57

This thread describes the problem I've been having with my TL-WPA4220-KIT, disconnecting every day or so and needing a power cycle to get it going again. I was about to downgrade the f/w as recommended here, but have realised I'm running V5 hardware, and this thread is specific to V4. I don't suppose downgrading to V4 f/w would end well, even if the device were to let me do it. Does anyone have a solution to the problem on V5? Specifically I'm running:

Hardware Version: TL-WPA4220 5.0
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 200811 Rel.68784n (6985/8575)

This appears to be the latest firmware for the UK varient, obtainable here: https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202009/20200902/TL-WPA4220_200811.zip

TIA.

Options
Re:TL-WPA4220 looses internet connectivity after few days of uptime-Solution
2021-09-18 09:38:14 - last edited 2021-12-29 10:26:48

Hello everyone, 

For WPA4220  unstable issue, you could try some suggestions here:

1. Try to reserve an IP address on router for devices connected to powerline unit, and see if that help with stability. 
2. Turn off Power-saving mode on powerline devices:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2018/
3. If House Led goes off when issue happen,  put powerline units into the same room and test stability

4. Ensure your WPA4220 firmware is up to date: (select Hardware according to the back label of device before download corresponding firmware )
Firmware for WPA4220: https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-wpa4220/ 

(How to update the firmware of Powerline ac Extender via web-based management interface (new logo)? )https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1419/ 

If the above does not help, it is encouraged to create a new thread from here with the case details, please report back with some information below to help locate the issue: 

1)  may I know House Led/LED Status on both devices when AV600 drops connection? 

If House Led is On when issue happens, please check the IPv4 address and gateway and send us a photo: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/

2)  How often does the issue happen? How to recover the connection, like reboot router or powerline device. 
3) When issue occurs, do not reboot but try to ping the default gateway and send us the ping results:https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/425/
4) May I know your network topology?e.g Archer C7 <Ethernet>PA4010 downstaits  ___<house powerline>WPA4220 upstairs.

Do you have a stable wired connection on the main router?

* I will be marking this post as the solution to this topic, in order for forum user to find some troubleshooting steps easily and to then provide additional feedback.

Best Regards. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-18 09:45:25

Hey @o771 ,  Hardware version could not be upgraded or downgraded, and device need to use firmware according to its hardware version country version , or that may mess up the device. As this thread mainly discuss WPA4220 V4, it is recommend to start a new thread here with case details (required above) and we could look it the further. 

Options