TP-Link TD-W9970 ADSL2+ drops wifi connections like insane

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-05 07:41:17 - last edited 2020-07-28 08:58:57
Model: TD-W9970  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 0.9.1 v009f.0 Build 190419 Rel.34272n

SO i purchased it 6 months ago and due to constant disconnection as well as wifi drops RMA'd and got a new one last week(dec 27th 2019).However this router cum modem too shows the same issue.

Durin the RMA time which was around 1 month i was using my friends modem router and this worked perfectly fine.My set up included a nokia siemens modem+TP link archer C6 router.Neither were there connection drops nor were ther instances where wifi wouldnt be detected or it simply drops.

Issue:

1.Some devices may not be able to detect the wifi even if in the same room where the router/modem is.

2.Sometimes the device drops wifi connection randomly and then there is no way you can connect back till restart of the modem.

3.Connection too is unstable.

Workaround:

Restart the modem each and every time this happens.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP-Link TD-W9970 ADSL2+ drops wifi connections like insane-Solution
2020-07-28 08:57:31 - last edited 2020-07-31 07:00:44

@joh.khz  

Hi, for your issue, our engineer is following up your case via email and has given you the suggestions.

Please contact her if you have any other issues.

@ec5780@sand87@Alanh02@gsmitheidw @Izaro 

Sorry to hear you all have the same issue with the product.

Please help confirm the below information for us to identify the issue.

1. Does the issue only happen on Wi-Fi connection? Does the wired(cable) connection work fine? 

How about the lights' status on the router? Is DSL line connected to the router?

2. May I know who is your internet service provider? How many total bandwidth from the ISP including download and upload?

If your total bandwidth from ISP is very low, it will influence the performance of the router. It is suggested to upgrade the total bandwidth from ISP.

3. Please check the firmware version and hardware version of the router. If it is not the latest one, please upgrade it first.

4. Please check how many devices are connected to the router and if they all have the same issue? Please tell us the model number, system of them.

5. Please check how to recover the connection when the issue happens. By restarting or automatically?

If the issue only happens on Wi-Fi connection, please download Wi-Fi analyzer on your phone to test the empty 2.4GHz channel around.

Then change the 2.4GHz channel to be the empty one you tested, the channel width to be 20MHz to check if the same issue happens again.

Edit in 2020.7.31, if you guys have the same unstable issue, please provide the above information for us and contact us.

We will try our best to identify the issue and solve it.

Wish you all have a good day!

Look forward to your reply.

Recommended Solution
Options
24 Reply
Re:TP-Link TD-W9970 ADSL2+ drops wifi connections like insane
2020-01-07 01:11:05 - last edited 2020-06-05 12:33:21

@sand87 

Sorry to hear that the replacement does not work properly, we will do some troubleshooting to locate this issue and try to fix it.

1. What is the light status of the TD-W9970 when it goes offline?

2. With your computer or smart phone connected to it at that time, what is the IP address and default gateway it obtained?
Note: How to get them: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/

3. Meanwhile, please try to access the web page and take a snapshot of the status page when TD-W9970 stops working. 
Note: How to login to the web interface: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/114/

4. Have you ever tried to change the wireless settings to improve the performance? Like wireless channel and channel width?

Have a nice day.

Options
2020-01-08 19:40:21 - last edited 2020-06-05 12:33:21

@Kevin_Z 

1. What is the light status of the TD-W9970 when it goes offline?

Every light is on.I mean the wifi,Dsl and internet.

The thing is it never stops working.

Thing is say 4 devices are connected.When a 5th device tries to connect the wifi wont even show up and this is random.Now if i shut down one of the 4 devices then this device maynot reconnect when switched back on.The internet would still work on the other devices already connected to the wifi.

The only way out.Restart modem.

Options
2020-02-03 17:34:52 - last edited 2020-06-05 12:33:21

@sand87 Hi.

The same issue with my w9970. I've eigth devices connected on wireless network (one LG Smart TV, one Chromecast dongle in other tv, one tablet Samsung T705 and five smartphones (Redmi 5A, Redmi 7, Redmi Note 7, Mi 9T, iPhone 6S; eventually and old Blackberry device). I've asssigned fixed DHCP for these devices.

I bought this modem/router a month ago (January 2020). And, I've noticed that a few days devices lost wireless connection (all or most of them) but you can see the available network by search the wireless networks on devices. I must restart the w9970 to be re-registered on the network.

Firware version: 0.9.1.0.2 v0076.0 Build 170919 Rel.61201n

Hardware version: TD-W9970 v2.

Options
2020-03-22 05:41:59 - last edited 2020-06-05 12:33:21

@Kevin_Z 

The same issue with my w9970. I've eigth devices connected on wireless network: a LG Smart TV, a Chromecast dongle in other tv, one tablet Samsung T705 and five smartphones (Redmi 5A, Redmi 8, Redmi Note 7, Mi 9T, iPhone 6S; and sometimes an old Blackberry device). I've asssigned fixed DHCP for these devices.

I bought this modem/router a month ago (January 2020). And, I've noticed that a few days, devices lost wireless connection (all or most of them) but you can see the available network by search the wireless networks on devices. I must restart the w9970 to be re-registered on the network.

Firware version: 0.9.1.0.2 v0076.0 Build 170919 Rel.61201n

Hardware version: TD-W9970 v2.

Options
2020-05-15 14:32:38 - last edited 2020-06-05 12:33:21

@Kevin_Z 

I have the same issue as well. I have four machines attached via ethernet and multiple devices on WIFI.

The cabled ones are rock solid, never miss a beat but the Wifi drops constantly, AP disappears and re-appears. When the Wifi is down the cabled ones still have internet access

I have changed the channels with no luck

Some machines lose DHCP settings but even changing all to Fixed IP makes no difference

Lights on front panel do not change

Quick reboot and all is well again

Options
2020-05-22 00:05:09 - last edited 2020-06-05 12:33:21

@Kevin_Z Hi. I've found that cause this issue in this módem-róuter, I think. But, Anybody is here to talk about it?

Options
2020-05-29 22:09:38 - last edited 2020-06-05 15:10:01

@sand87 Have you upddate te the firmware to last version? Download for TD-W9970 V2

A new firmware is available launch in March 2020:

I've updated to last firmware version for RD W9970 V2.

But, the issue remains.

And, I think I know what might be the problem. It has to do with the uploads or charges that are made wirelessly. But, I need confirm it

Options
2020-05-29 23:15:17 - last edited 2020-06-05 12:33:21

Kevin_Z wrote

@sand87 

Sorry to hear that the replacement does not work properly, we will do some troubleshooting to locate this issue and try to fix it.

1. What is the light status of the TD-W9970 when it goes offline? All the lights are on: Power, DSL, internet, wireless and LAN1 are solid and greenish LED

2. With your computer or smart phone connected to it at that time, what is the IP address and default gateway it obtained?
Note: How to get them: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/ Both, the desktop computer and the different mobile devices (cell phones, tablets, smart TVs, Chromecast, laptops) have different IPs assigned. I have assigned statics IPs to each of them (DHCP address reservation). The desktop computer is connected via cable to the LAN1 port of the modem.

3. Meanwhile, please try to access the web page and take a snapshot of the status page when TD-W9970 stops working. 
Note: How to login to the web interface: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/114/

4. Have you ever tried to change the wireless settings to improve the performance? Like wireless channel and channel width? Yes. I've tried change wireless channel, enable and disable SSID broadcast (main and guest network)

Have a nice day.

@Kevin_Z I am experiencing the same problems with dropped connections via WiFi. And, I think, I have found the problem

I have noticed that when several devices connected via Wi-Fi start to upload something (WhatsApp backups, iCloud backups upload photos and videos to Google Photos, even when speedtests are done [speedtest.com, fast.com]), for a moment the internet connection is lost, the connection it is deteriorating and the router begins to remove each of the devices connected to the wireless network. Only the desktop computer remains with stable internet connection.

Another symptom that I have noticed is that, when practically all wireless devices lose the connection, we can see that the network is visible, but when we trying to connect to it, messages such as "network disabled" or "network not available" appear in case of Android devices, or "Password error; re-enter password" for iOS devices

It seemed to me that it is a problem of the router in the way it distributes the upload bandwidth between the different wireless devices and there must be some error in the firmware programming that causes this to happen, which seems a "collapse" or "neck of bottle" that causes the error of the WiFi networks (main, or guests network; it is hidden or visible): the download speed decreases considerably and, in the end, everything is disconnected, except the LAN connections (via cable).

The only way all this can be 'fixed' is to reboot the router (turn it on and off), so that mobile devices can re-register automatically. My experience with other models of Tp Link routers has been satisfactory, except for this model, which has turned out to be a disappointment.

Could it be that Tp Link engineers can try to replicate the situations that may be causing this annoying Td W9970 modem-router error? And fix it?

Options
2020-06-05 10:32:45 - last edited 2020-06-05 12:33:21

I'm having the exact same problem and symptoms - it seems to drop wifi connections sporadically and only a reboot solves it for all devices. Toggling wifi off/on does not. 

Certainly any significant uploads are a significant trigger for it, downloads do not have any impact. One example trigger for me is to upload any media to Flickr from the

app on my phone.

Somtimetimes not all devices will fail on wifi, sometimes for no obvious reason one or two may continue whilst everything else is knocked out. Seems random. 

The device reports no firmware update is available but I checked the site manually and there is one:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/td-w9970/#Firmware

but it relates to a specific issue: "Fix the bug of CWMP vulnerability." which I think is to with WAN management of settings by remote ISP. 

I've the v3 and i'm on  Build 190419 Rel.34272n

Have to say I'm quite disapointed with this device - I realise it wasn't the cheapest but I bought at the start of covid19 lockdown and shops were closing up, so I didn't have much to deliberate over chosing the best option.

Also the manual/online-help for the device is poor as well, I understand more than probably most people due to being an Sysadmin by profession,

but anything beyond the very basic "getting connected" is very poor user interface and poorly documented. 
Take for example denying some specific devices by MAC address - you have to set the rule default to deny and then enable those devices. Slightly confusing logic!

The parental controls and QoS settings are user interface mess as well. I thought things would be better over telnet for someone like me,

but the command line interface is extremely limited and most functionality is sadly via the html interface only.

I read elsewhere that others on the forum have RMA the device and received a replacement with the exact same issue. I may just try and return this device if possible to the
retailer I bought it from, failing that I might buy an additional wifi AP and not use the onboard wifi at all. 

Hopefully a firmware will appear that will solve this however. 

Options
2020-06-05 15:28:33

@gsmitheidw 

We must insist on this matter until I get to an engineer or Tp Link programmer so that he can do the tests, replicate the annoying error with the wireless connection and see if it is a problem in the way it was programmed. I don't want to think that it is something from the processor or other physical component that may be causing the problem.

In addition, this modem should improve its graphical interface to make it more orderly, pleasant and intuitive. Certainly, as you say, there are things that are not understood or one must investigate through other sites in order to find a solution or answer.

How is it possible that this model of router does not have support for the Tether application? Or that a Tp Link account cannot be used for dynamic access? Why is the "packet error" flag never updated to monitor the ADSL connection? And why isn't the Annex B option in the DSL option? This to mention some examples.

I think TP Link should improve that a bit. There are inconsistencies in the graphical interfaces between the router models: some models have options and things that more expensive others do not have
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 6088

Replies: 24

Related Articles