Powerline Adaptors and Wifi Expansion

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-12 17:15:41

Good Afternoon,

I am currently using TP Link AV1200 3-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Adaptors and they do work very well for my wired devices.

My wifi is running from my router in one corner of the house and is pretty poor at the other end of the house. I have looked in to upgrading to use a mesh but it looks like it will be problematic with my smart devices and Ring Bell and cameras.

I have a few range extenders for the wifi but they are also not great.

Is there a product compatible with the powerline that takes this wired signal and creates a new wifi signal at the location you plug it in? Or would a mesh actually be a better option?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

PNOL1972

Options
3 Reply
Re:Powerline Adaptors and Wifi Expansion
2020-01-14 12:17:46

@PNOL1972 

Hello, what is the model number of your powerline adapters? Is it TL-PA8033P KIT?

This one does not support wireless function; considering you want to boost the wifi signal, you can order a powerline adapter with wifi function to work with the existing powerline network, like TL-WPA8630PKIT, or TL-WPA8630kit. 

And if you want to buy a single extender only, you can verify whether the TL-WPA8630P is available at where you are. 

May it help. 

Options
2020-01-14 13:00:47

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you Kevin_Z. The devices I currently have are TP-PA8030P, AV1200 3-Port Gigiabit Passthrough Powerline adaptors.

The TL-WPA8630P does appear to be available. Does this generate a WiFi signal from the powerline network or just extend the existing signal? I have a few extenders but they are not the best. So a strong signal at the other end of the house would be good.

I was contemplating the Deco devices to create a decent network around the house but had read somewhere that they don't work well with Ring devices and other smart items that run on the 2.4 wireless networks.

Thank you and please let me know if you need any further details.

Regards

PNOL1972

Options
2020-01-20 06:59:18

@PNOL1972 

Hello, the TL-WPA8630P broadcasts wifi networks by default; with it added into the existing network, you can relocate it to boost the wifi signal.

And the wireless settings can be customized; you can use different wifi name and password or use the same. 

For the Deco units, it is a good choice as well; it can create a mesh network to boost wifi signal; for the devices which support 2.4GHz, we have some methods to avoid interference. First, we can disable the 5GHz and use the 2.4GHz only; or we can disable mesh technology and fast roaming, then the Deco won't suggest this device to roam to other wifi bands. 

Note: Not all Deco series products support these features yet; they will be added via firmware upgrade for those which do not support yet.

May it help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 855

Replies: 3

Related Articles