KC110 Notification issues - Dependent of state of phone?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-12 22:03:24 - last edited 2020-01-12 23:27:34

I seem to be having an issue with notifications on two different phones that I have tested.

The KC100 I have only just purchased and the firmware was updated as soon as I installed it.

Both phones running stock Android. One 7.0 and one 10.0 Android. (only 1 phone running at a time for this testing)

I need to do more testing to get accurate timeframes, but here is what seems to be happening:

If either phone is fully awake, and the screen is on, the notifications work perfectly as you would expect them to.

If I let the screen on the phone time-out, and leave the phone for just a few minutes, then I still get a notification.

If I leave it lets say 30 mins, then I get no notifications, unless I wake either phone up, and then it shows I've had notifications.

As I say this in on two totally different stock android phones.

The Kasa app is set to always give notifications, and I have not set the wait 5 mins delay to be on.

Any ideas?

==Update==

Doing more tests, (with my older Android 7 phone) it seems like, as I said, when the phone is awake, notifications are perfect and almost instant,  5 seconds max.

If I leave the phone for some time (20 mins?) to go to sleep, then my testing shows it takes exactly 15 mins for a notification to sound on this Android 7 phone.

Further testing needed, but I think if the phone has just turned the screen off, then notifications are still ok.

Might this be an Android issue, or something to do with the way the App is written ?

Options
5 Reply
Re:KC110 Notification issues - Dependent of state of phone?
2020-01-15 20:50:12

Shame no office support on these forums :(

Well I purchased also a KC120 as well as the KC100

borderline going to be sending these cams back due to two issues.

Firstly let me say, image quality very nice, totally happy and pleased with the video quality, which makes me sad if I can't keep them.

Notifications are just no good. If you have left your phone for a while (android) so it's gone to sleep for perhaps half a hour, and the Kasa cams detect movement, there is no notification. Nothing. However upon picking up your phone and waking it up, THEN you see /hear the notifications. If the phone is awake then they work fine. Or the screen has only just gone off, but otherwise forget it.

I know this does not have to be this way as I have a couple of Nest cams, and they will send out a notification sound.

Easy test as i come home. (phone has been asleep for say 30 mins in pocket) the nest cam see's me, I hear the alert on my phone, the Kasa cam see's me. Nothing.

Only when, as I say I wake up the phone to look at it, will the notifications pop up.

That's the big problem.

The second one, being just finding out today, after the free trial I'd have to pay £4 a month for every single camera for just the lowest package.

These two issues I think are unnaceptable, which is a great shame, as I'm really happy with the devices themselves and the quality.

Lack of support in these forums, also is not a good sign. for a LARGE company, having some tech on forums should always be important.

:(

Options
2020-02-09 12:03:34 - last edited 2020-02-09 12:03:53

i've got the exact same problem. I need alerts as they happen, but they only seem to do this when the phone is or has been recently active.

Options
2020-03-05 09:31:09 - last edited 2020-03-06 00:28:33

@adiwillow @SnaffyNoo 

Hello,

Please check the notification settings on the phone first, make sure you allowed the Kasa app to send the notification all the time. No matter it is locked or unlocked.

You can go to Settings, go to Notifications, select the Kasa app, choose always show preview.

Options
2020-10-19 19:17:35

@Stella.Q I have had the same issue for over a year and a half now.  The notifications work fine on the Iphone.  They are delayed and inconsistent on the Android.  I have used multiple Android phones, latest being a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+.  I have searched many hours regarding delayed notifications, which equates to no sleeping apps, no battery saver, no battery optimization.  I suppose there is something written in the code that is causing this delay after the phone has been idle.  I have tried reaching out to support many times but I always receive the same canned answers, and then they try and blame my network.  I have also reached out via LinkedIn, to the so called director, but once you purchase the products, support is proving to be non-existant.

I also have an issue with viewing live footage when an activity is being recorded.  Once the activity is finished, I can view the live stream.  I suspect it's a hardware issue with bandwidth capabiliites.  That's what makes the cameras so cheap.  I have tested other cameras on the same network and do not have any issues.

Will someone please address my concerns.  I have hundreds of emails back and forth with support that have gone nowhere.

Options
2020-10-20 03:14:55

@KasaUser005 

Good day,

After checking all the detailed information that you have posted on the forum, we made some notes and would like to forward your case to our senior engineers and please have a check of your email box.

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 902

Replies: 5

Related Articles