Deco P9 Maturity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P9 Maturity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco P9 Maturity
Deco P9 Maturity
2020-01-18 08:22:53 - last edited 2020-04-19 08:48:09
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I bought a Deco P9 last week. I'm not impressed. I think the firmware is very immature. I feel like I have paid to beta test it.

Fundementally I bought it to solve the problem that my smart plugs don't work. It doesn't solve that problem becuase you can't have seperate SSID for 2.5GHz.

I'm probably going to send it back unless I see a firmware update soon with a few more features. Is there any news on the roadmap?

I am extremely disappointed because I think this is a unique product. I don't think anyone else makes a powerline mesh. Do they?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco P9 Maturity-Solution
2020-04-18 18:04:27 - last edited 2020-04-19 08:48:09

I have another month while I can return it. This product is appalling and should never have been released in the state it's in. It's done TP-Link so much damage, people all over the internet saying how bad it is, particularly customer services. Anyway, I want it to work for similar reasons to the original poster, the combination of powerline and mesh should be great. 

I'm in the same boat as others, release the new firmware and start making it better or it goes back and I'll never buy a TP-Link product again. 

Recommended Solution
Options
107 Reply
Re:Deco P9 Maturity
2020-01-19 02:43:14

@samwardill 

Hello, thanks for your requesting. 

The new firmware for Deco P9 will be released soon, but the ETA is still unsure. 

To make separate 2.4GHz, it won't be supported either; cause the two wifi networks use the same network name to build the mesh network; but the separate on/off switch for two bands will be available then and some other features, like the guest network separate switches, mesh technology and so on. 

You can wait for the updates, or you can return it and get another Deco which supports these features already, like Deco M5, Deco M9 plus V1.

May it help. 

Options
2020-01-19 07:32:54

@Kevin_Z Thanks for the feedback. The ability to turn off 5GHz would be good enough for me.

Can you give me any indication of when this facility might be released? Is it weeks, months or years? Can I get beta firmware?

Deco M9 plus V1 is no good for me becuase I want Powerline backhaul. That is what I mean when I say "I am extremely disappointed because I think this is a unique product."

It is not 100% unique because Devolo have Magic 2 but it seems Devolo Magic 2 is even more immature than Deco P9

Options
2020-01-20 02:08:15

@samwardill 

Thanks for your reply. As far as I know, the new firmware for Deco P9 is under testing now; it should be released soon. While the ETA is still unsure due to the uncertain test results. 

If it is okay for you, you can wait a while to get the updates. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-07 02:35:39

@samwardill It's looks like the Powerline connectivity between the Deco P9 devices is not even implemented. The only reason I got the P9 instead of any other mesh device available in the market was the Powerline backhaul because it was the only way I could cover my whole house.

@Kevin_Z 

Is any way TP-Link could implement a beta testing for the new Deco P9 FW so we can actually use them and at the same time help on the develop of the new features?

Options
2020-03-07 07:19:02

@MasterCh13 I just sent mine back to Amazon. Out of interest, what makes you think that the Powerline is not implemented? I didn't think that but it did not work well at all.

Options
2020-04-16 07:15:09 - last edited 2020-04-16 07:35:45

Hello,

Any news on the so called new Firmware?

Currently still having: 1.0.2 Build 20190917 Rel. 71168

@Kevin_Z 

Options
2020-04-16 19:00:31
Hi there. I'm willing to try the Beta as well. I've got 8 days left before the deadline to return it. If there's nothing by then, it goes back to the store
Options
2020-04-17 07:30:11 - last edited 2020-04-17 07:30:47

I have gone past the window to return mine to Amazon. I am trying to raise an RMA with TP-Link but it sounds like all I can get is a replacement, which is so frustrating as it just does not work reliably. 

Can we get hold of a Beta firmware, it cannot be any worse than the current live firmware and at least might have some new features to test?

Options
Re:Deco P9 Maturity-Solution
2020-04-18 18:04:27 - last edited 2020-04-19 08:48:09

I have another month while I can return it. This product is appalling and should never have been released in the state it's in. It's done TP-Link so much damage, people all over the internet saying how bad it is, particularly customer services. Anyway, I want it to work for similar reasons to the original poster, the combination of powerline and mesh should be great. 

I'm in the same boat as others, release the new firmware and start making it better or it goes back and I'll never buy a TP-Link product again. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-04-20 06:58:11 - last edited 2020-04-20 06:58:53

@samwardill 

P9 is a major disappointment. A lot of potential but TP-Link doesn't invest in keeping it update and bring basic functionality to the core firmware. As a router, It feels like a dump AP.

And months and months passed by and got absolutely no new improvements.

It's already retired on arrival (new term).

I have until May 31 to return to Amazon and will very likely do so.

Options

Information

Helpful: 6

Views: 22714

Replies: 107