Archer C7 AC1750 router v5.0 randomly overriding fixed 2.4 GHz WIFI channel selection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 AC1750 router v5.0 randomly overriding fixed 2.4 GHz WIFI channel selection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-19 13:15:06 - last edited 2020-01-21 09:21:59
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20190726 rel.57101(4555)

Hello,

WIFI channel set specifically to channel 13, occasionally resets to either channel 2 or 10.

In the UK valid 2.4 GHz channels are 1-13, whereas in the US its 1-11. A lot of ISP supplied routers only support 1-11 which means channels 12 and 13 are mostly unused. Hence I like to set my routers WIFI channel to 13 which is clear in my location. I bought this router on 25/11/2019 and initially the problem of the router staying on its set channel only happened about twice with the router switching to channel 2 on both occasions.. Recently however it is doing it more often ending up on channel 2 or 10.

Logging into the routers interface when this happens and looking at Avanced->Status shows the WIFI channel actualy being transmitted ie, 2 or 10. Whereas  Advance->Wireless->Wireless Settings shows the WIFI channel still set to 13.. Clicking the "Save" button on this page doesn't set the actual channel back to 13.. Setting the channel to say 12 clicking the "Save" and then setting the requested channel back to 13 and clicking "Save" does set the actual channel in use back to 13. A reboot does set the channel back to 13.

I have changed a lot of other parameters relating to Internet, LAN, DHCP, parental controls etc and none of these get corrupted when the channel changes. The log output is absolutely useless in this case.

Do I have a faulty router or is this some quirk of the Firmware?. Does the Archer see maybe some interference either other WIFI or non WIFI on 13 AND decide to override my wishes. Seems unlikely.

Most clients will happily follow a change of WIFI channel, but I am using a TP-Link TL-WR702N Nano router in client mode which doesn't follow a WIFI channel change and just loses connection.

Would like to know if anybody else has had this problem or an explanation for this behavior.

Thanks in advance!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C7 AC1750 router v5.0 randomly overriding fixed 2.4 GHz WIFI channel selection
2020-05-21 15:52:51 - last edited 2020-05-21 15:55:32

@Jim70 Hi,

I have the same issue for a while...sometimes it remains ok foir some weeks, but today its horrible again...as its changing the channel by itself i loose the WDS with my other TP-link...also for some reason now i cant see my 2,4 Ghz Wifi from my mobil...these two issue are very annoying and i already wrote to TP-link support many emails, never got real help except the basic stuff...

Options
Re:Archer C7 AC1750 router v5.0 randomly overriding fixed 2.4 GHz WIFI channel selection
2020-05-21 17:55:32

@Aragorc 

Hi, 

Sorry to hear your having the same problems. I tried rolling the firmware back to the previous version but it made no difference. So had to conclude it was some sort of hardware problem. Eventually returned it to the UK shop Curry's PC World from whence I purchased it for a refund. 

Replaced it with a Linksys Max-Stream AC1900 Mu-Mimo Gigabit Router which at the time Ebuyer had on special offer of £46.48 reduced from £50 plus. Ebuyer are still selling this router but for the vastly increased price of £142.98 which seems ridiculous even considering sterling has dropped in value. The Linksys has a faster processor and two USB ports one of which is USB 3 and the parental control settings are better. No VPN built in support and signal coverage seems to be about the same as the Archer. The version of Samba on the Archer seems to be older than that on the Linksys. But most importantly it stays on channel.

Suggest you return yours as faulty for a replacement or refund. 

Best of luck Jim70

Options
2020-05-24 03:14:19

@Aragorc 

Attempt the below, one at a time, to see which yields better result:

• Feel the router, if the router is hot or lots of heat coming out, use a fan to cool the router, a regular fan or USB fan is fine.
  • Set the WiFi Transmit Power to low (if the setting is currently set to high), and see if this helps with the WiFi issue. When WiFi Transmit Power set to high, the router consumes more power, creates more heat, might cause instability.
  • Review the Wireless setting, under 2.4GHz, adjust the Mode, b/g/n or b/g or n only (don't forget to click SAVE).
  • Next, perform similarly with the 5GHz setting if the above did not help (change the 2.4GHz back to previous setting).
  • Another option is to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi SSID along with different password to see if this helps. For example, SSID tplink1 - 2.4GHz and SSID tplink2 - 5GHz, different password for each.

Possibly lots of trial and error to troubleshoot. Additionally, review the firmware and see if it is the latest, might help with some of the issues.

Options
2021-11-13 15:35:25

@Jim70 I'm having the exact same issue. I have it fixed to channel 1 and it keeps jumping into channel 2 or channel 10. The issue is that most devices in the wifi network get unstable connections when this happens. For some reason the only one that keeps working ok is a MacBook, but Google products, Samsung phones and an HP Laptop get microcuts or super high latency when this happens. I have had this Archer for 4 years and this issue started like a month ago, so unless there is a new wifi network in the neighborhood that is making this bug arise, I'd think it could also be a hardware degradation problem. I'll probably will try to install openwrt and see if it gets better. I don't care if it bricks ir whatever, at this point I give it up for lost anyway.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1015

Replies: 4