Wired client on node

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wired client on node

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Wired client on node
Wired client on node
2020-01-21 03:29:59
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am looking to update my currently failing DD-WRT mesh with a Deco M4 set.  The problem is my house was built about 1880 and there are ZERO Ethernet cables throughout the house and I currently have no plans to add any.

My current setup has the main router in my home office.  I then have a wireless node in my son's bedroom, where his computer is connected via Cat5 cable to the client.  The third M4 would be placed between the two, but on a lower level of the house.  A more graphical representation of what I want to do looks like this:

ISP ----- main AP ::::: client AP ----- switch ----- devices

::::: client AP ----- switch ----- devices

where '-----' = Cat5 and ':::::' = wireless.

I have a switch and server connected between the ISP and the main AP which handles all of the DHCP, so the M4 would not perform any DHCP functions.

Is this setup possible with the M4 system?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Wired client on node
2020-01-22 01:08:14

@Bighairyg 

Hello, there is no option to disable DHCP server on the Deco units now; to use the server as DHCP server, you can switch the Deco M4 to access point mode. Then it will be DHCP client as long as it detects that there is a DHCP server existed. 

Except this, the Deco M4 can satisfy your needs; the Deco units can connect to each other by wired cable or wireless; and there are two ethernet ports on it, wired devices can connect to it by cable to access internet. 

May it help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 698

Replies: 1