Archer c6 poor internet through WiFI performance with MU-MIMO Enabled

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-22 19:53:57 - last edited 2020-01-22 20:04:41
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build 20191112 rel.36515(5553)

As the title says, I'm experiencing incredible poor internet performance when TxBF,MU-MIMO is enabled.

I have the modem connected directly to my Archer C6, then a TL-WR841N/TL-WR841ND wired directly to it.

Both router WiFi were manually configured to operate on channel 6 at 20MHz. Both routers perform well without MU-MIMO Enabled.

To get to that conclusion, I had to do many tests, using my mobile devices and testing their speed. It seems that it hits only those.

When my desktop computer was used, I measure its speed and internet was working at 50mbps, but the same test on my iPhone 8 started at a 50mbps download speed for about 1 sec and then decreased rapidly to 1mbps, while upload speeds were constant at 6mbps, in every case.

There are currently about 10 devices connected to my home network, I'm not really sure how MU-MIMO works, but reading around recommends disabling the feature since it performs really bad.

The internet speed goes back to normal once MU-MIMO is disabled. I couldn't even load an image on Instagram, or read a blog post before that.

Am I missing something here? How is it possible that MU-MIMO, which should improve devices performance is actually decreasing it. 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer c6 poor internet through WiFI performance with MU-MIMO Enabled
2020-01-23 11:33:42

Does anyone has any help or advice? I'm still having issues even with MU-MIMO disabled.

Options
2020-06-16 12:11:22

@lucky8919 I am facing the same issue since the day I started using it. I have tried using all possible combinations but of no use. One single wall is weakening the wifi. Please help anyone.

Options
2020-08-07 08:59:44

@lucky8919 Exactly,someone should look into it 

Options
2021-03-02 04:34:15

I face similar symptoms, however I haven't disabled TxBF,MU-MIMO yet (as ONLY one of my devices (Phone) gets affected). Have tried all things possible to workaround this (with no permanent solution in sight). Some of them are listed below. Hope it helps someone in desperate times. It's strange that TP-Link still has no solution to it. Hoping this to be fixed in next Update rolled out to Archer C6 v2.0.

Temporary Workarounds to try:

1. Power recycle the router (complete switch-off) for minimum 10mins. Repeat once issue resurfaces in a day or two. Mine generally lasts about 2-5 days.

2. If you have the luxury of another / spare router. Connect it via LAN / patch cable to main router (Archer C6, here). Use a different SSID (WiFi Name) & connect affected devices to it. This lasts for more than 15-20 days. You might need to power recycle once a fortnight if issue persists.

Will keep the thread posted in-case of advancements, if any.

Regards,

Elisha. 

Options
2021-03-02 08:24:01

@Elisha_Dsilva 

Is your Archer C6 v2? Please ensure you are updating to the latest firmware.

When you mention the speed will drop after working for 2-5 days, does it mean all the devices connected to it are experiencing the same, no matter it is connected to the C6 wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable? May I know how much bandwidth you paid for the internet? Was there heavy load when the issue happens?

You may try to install this beta firmware we provided here to disable the Onemesh feature on it to check again.

Options
2021-03-02 18:51:23

Hi @Kevin_Z !! 

Thanks for your revert! Details are as follows:

Hardware : Archer C6 v2.0 (EU)

Latest Firmware : 1.3.6 Build 20200902 rel.65591(4555)

Devices Affected : Only one device faces this issue

Ethernet / LAN connectivity : Works flawlessly

ISP Bandwidth Subscribed: 20 MBPS

Load: 10-40% of ISP Bandwidth at all times

Smart Connect : Disabled, with distinct SSIDs for 2.4GHz & 5GHz

TxBF, MU-MIMO : Enabled

Further, I will try the Firmare you shared (but it seems to be older than the one official global release). Will still give it a try & post my observations. 

Regards,

Eli.

Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 5625

Replies: 6

Related Articles