Broadband speed halved when going through Deco?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-25 16:57:21 - last edited 2021-02-25 06:45:52
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Just had my broadband speed upgraded from 50Mbps to 100Mbps.

My broadband router has the wireless disabled and I only use my 3 Deco M5 APs for wireless in the house.

My main PC is connected to the base M5 AP by ethernet cable.

Now, if I plug my PC directly into my router ethernet I get 100Mbps as expected.

Plug my PC into the base M5 (which connects to the router by ethernet) and the speed drops to 50Mbps.

Everything I've run a speed test on through wireless gives me 50Mbps.

I know there's some overhead for running a mesh network...but halving the broadband speed? That doesn't sound right.

Any ideas?

Ronnie

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Broadband speed halved when going through Deco?-Solution
2021-02-25 06:45:47 - last edited 2021-02-25 06:45:52

@Decorian 

Hi, for your cases, we might need to figure out what happened.

If possible, could you please help me check the following information:

1. What is the working mode of M5, router, or access point?
  2. If possible, please only connect the main Deco to the ISP modem router, then turn off the 4ghz band on the Deco, then check the Ethernet speed and wireless speed again via www.speedtest.net  
  3. Remove the QoS settings: Deco APP>>>QoS>>>(Set Application priority to Standard, Remove all high priority devices, set the Bandwidth to 1000Mbps upload and 1000Mbps download)
  4. Turn off the UPNP feature in the Deco app: Deco APP>More>Advanced;

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Broadband speed halved when going through Deco?
2020-02-01 08:50:24

@JaguarXP 

Hello, Ronnie, we will do some troubleshooting first to locate this issue and try to fix it.

1. What is the current network diagram?

2. With computer connected to the main Deco by wired cable, please test the speed you can get and click here to get the wired negotiation speed.

Note: The steps are the same, except you need click ethernet connection, rather than wireless connection.

3. In the meantime, please test the internet speed on the Deco app and show us the results.

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-02-01 10:16:44
Kevin - thanks for getting back to me. I've just run through the tests and I'm now getting full expected speed both on wired and wireless through Deco. Not sure what fixed it but it's all looking good now. Cheers
Options
2021-02-11 10:48:07

@JaguarXP 

I have speed problems with my Deco M5. TPG upgraded the speed to 200Mbps. All my LAN connected device and Modem WIFI shows min of 140 Mbps.

Deco WIFI and LAN port shows only 50mpbs, 4 times less. My main Deco is connected to the modem via LAN. I restarted Deco and did the speed test and it showed 128Mbps the first time. After 2 mins went down to 50Mbps and never went up. I am still not sure a base modem of TPG can provide 140+, why cant mesh system provide so low speed. 

Its so annoying whats the point buying such a device. If you guys cant fix it, please let me know I can return this.

Please help

Options
2021-02-23 21:58:11 - last edited 2021-02-23 22:04:22

@JaguarXP I have the same issue. Upgraded today from 50Mbits to 100 Mbits. Through Ethernet I'm getting only 50mbits (from Deco), but from the router wifi I get 100Mbits. I restarted it and still like before. What can I do? Why is the deco only putting out 50mbits speed through ethernet and wifi????

Options
Re:Broadband speed halved when going through Deco?-Solution
2021-02-25 06:45:47 - last edited 2021-02-25 06:45:52

@Decorian 

Hi, for your cases, we might need to figure out what happened.

If possible, could you please help me check the following information:

1. What is the working mode of M5, router, or access point?
  2. If possible, please only connect the main Deco to the ISP modem router, then turn off the 4ghz band on the Deco, then check the Ethernet speed and wireless speed again via www.speedtest.net  
  3. Remove the QoS settings: Deco APP>>>QoS>>>(Set Application priority to Standard, Remove all high priority devices, set the Bandwidth to 1000Mbps upload and 1000Mbps download)
  4. Turn off the UPNP feature in the Deco app: Deco APP>More>Advanced;

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2678

Replies: 5