Deco M5 with DHCP Option 61 in Router mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-25 19:43:01 - last edited 2020-01-25 19:47:53
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I want to use a Vigor 130 modem on Sky FTTC (UK) with the Deco M5 as the router.  However when I connect these up, with the modem setup correctly (probably) in bridge mode, I don't get an IP address from Sky.

It's difficult to debug when it's in this state, but I suspect its because Option 61 is not supported by the Deco router?  Anyone have this configuration running?

I currently have the Deco connected to the Sky router in AP mode - this works OK, but you cannot set the Sky router into bridge mode and therefore cannot use Deco as a router without double NAT (and that seems to break most IOT kit - certainly Google hubs, nest cameras and echo dot).

(You may ask why...

--- I want the Deco management features like parental control and AV, which you don't get with Sky

--- the Vigor 130 provides better DSL connection parameters, the line synchronises at the same DS and 30% improvement US - which is really worth having)

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M5 with DHCP Option 61 in Router mode
2020-01-27 10:55:57

@bubble78 

Just to confirm - have you configured a VLAN ID?  Most carrier fibre networks require one, and it’s easy to miss.   Other Internet forums indicate UK FTTC connections commonly use VLAN 101 but you may want to check with Sky.

Options
2020-01-27 11:02:22

@bubble78 

Thanks for that.  I have not configured a VLAN - I was following instructions provided by Dreytek.  They do mention setting the VLAN

"If it’s a VDSL connection that's connected directly (not using a VDSL2 modem), go to [WAN] > [General Setup] > [WAN1]:

• Set the VLAN Tag Insertion setting to Enable

• Set the Tag Value to 101"

I'll try this tonight.

However, they also state that the router has to support MER / DHCP Option 61

Options
2020-01-27 11:03:06

I cannot remember if I've tried with / without the VLAN... so I will repeat this evening.

Options
2020-01-27 20:13:33

Hmmm.

No joy.  I checked and by default the Customer tag is set to 101 when configured in bridge mode.  I've tried using the Service tag, with the customer tag turned off.  Didn't make a difference.

I've got DHCP server turned off on the Vigor 130 settings (should allow the Deco to serve) - the Deco is dishing out addresses, but I cannot see which address belongs to the modem.  I've got 18 connected devices and have (last night) tried all of them and the modem didn't turn up.

If someone has a Deco and Vigor 130 working with Sky FTTC, I'd love to know what settings you are using.  I think I've tried all the relevant ones to no joy.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2716

Replies: 4

Related Articles