Problem with Deco E4 - probably defective

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-19 07:05:49 - last edited 2020-02-19 07:07:11

Hello, i have a problem with deco e4. Yesterday I purchased the Deco E4 2 pack. At home I immediately started configuring the network. After a while I came across the first problem. The receiver that I wanted to use as a router had a different last MAC address than I had written on the bottom of the device. It didn't bother me that much. What was worse was that I couldn't connect to the wifi under the password set after the SSID and password were set. I tried different passwords, reset devices etc. but nothing helped. I was able to update FW, so I made the update. Then the E4 itself reset and the phone showed me that FW is up to date. Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem, it was possible to connect to Wifi if the password was not set. I tried to reset the device again but after that the logo lights up green and nothing more is happening. When connecting UTP cable from the device to NTB it is not possible to access the web environment. It makes me feel like it's in Bootloop.

So I disconnected the device and took the second Deco E4. I set up and update FW and everything works. After changing the SSID and setting the password, it is possible to connect to WiFi.

It looks like there's something wrong with the first Deco E4. Even after a few hours what is triggered from not getting from green to flashing blue. Has anyone encountered anything like this?

I assume the only solution is to return the device. It's a shame, I was surprised at how good the signal is with just one Deco E4.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Problem with Deco E4 - probably defective
2020-02-20 00:58:58

@DreeDex 

Thanks for your information. 

We can do some troubleshooting first and verify whether we can figure it out. 

1. What is the current led status of this Deco?

2. Try to hold the reset hole for 1s to reset it and verify whether the led becomes pulsing blue.

3. If so, you can add it into the existing Deco network as a satellite and verify whether it works. And you can refer to the instruction below to give it a shot. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1447/

May it help. 

Options
2020-02-20 09:43:36

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for your information. 

1. Yellow solid

2. After reset is still Yellow solid even after several hours.

A new finding is that when I pull out the power, then hold the reset and turn on the power again, while still holding the reset for about ten seconds. The LED starts blinking blue and yellow (this stats is not documented in manual or even in https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1464/
However, nothing can be done with the device in this situation. 
After unplugging the power cord and plugging again, LED it is yellow solid again.

Options
2020-02-21 02:10:45

@DreeDex 

I see, thanks for your valued reply. 

It seems that the Deco E4 is bricked. With the Deco shows solid yellow, try to connect your computer to this Deco by wired cable and verify whether you can log into the web UI with the domain name. Below is the instruction: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2641/

If it works, you can read this article to unbrick it via firmware recovery. 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/672

Otherwise, you can contact the retailer or local technical support to get a replacement if qualified. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#E-mail-Support

Note: Please provide model number, hardware version, serial number and invoice when you contact the local tech support. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-02-21 05:28:41

@Kevin_Z 

I have already tried this procedure. It is not possible to reach Deco via the web environment. I tried to look through Winsharke and Deco doesn't answer at all. I have already given the device to the seller for a complaint. Pending. 

As soon as he has a statement, I'll let you know. Unfortunately they have 30 days to process.
Options
2020-06-09 15:26:05

@Kevin_Z Hi Kevin, 

I have similar issue. I have been able to hold the reset button down and then plugged in the Deco E4R and it is now changed from a solid yellow to a blinking yellow and blue led. 

I have connected the directly via a ethernet cable and changed my IP to 192.168.0.66 and able to access .01 address. Now I see the firmware upgrade page. I have gone to the tp-link website and downloaded the firmware for my region, I purchased it from the Philippines and this is the file name: 

E4R 1.0_en_1.1.0 Build 20190823 Rel. 43466_US_EU_AU_JP_up  

After successfully upgrading and am promted that the device is rebooting, nothing happens. The Deco goes from blinking yellow and blue and back to solid yellow.

I don't know what else to do. It's been 4 days of troubleshooting and no luck. I just bought these a little more than a week ago. Please help

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2113

Replies: 5

Related Articles