Could not obtain IP address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-22 21:47:31
Model: TL-WPA4220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Model = TL-WPA4230P

All of a sudden my powerline extender has started saying it 'could not obtain IP address'.

Any ideas? Nothing has changed in the set-up. I've since tried re-pairing and then resetting, but I get the same each time.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Could not obtain IP address
2020-02-24 07:42:55

@FHSJW 

Please hard reset it by holding the reset button/hole on the extender unit for 10s to reset it with it powered on.

Then please pair them via the tpPLC utility. Instruction is attached as below: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1615/ 

After that, you can verify whether you can access internet from it. 

If still not, please tell me the led status of the TL-WPA4230Pkit and the IP/gateway obtained by your device from the TL-WPA4230P. 

May it help. 

Options
2020-03-01 21:56:08

Thanks @Kevin_Z 

Initially the hard reset did the trick, but a few days later it's back to showing the network but saying "Failed to obtain IP address". I've installed the tp-PLC Utility app on my iPad, but can't find the devices through the app - they're not listed in the compatible devices for the app.

Don't think I was clear before... I'm using a TL-PA411 with a cable to my router, then the TL-WPA4230-P in another room, it worked fine for the last year in this house, and for a few years in the previous house, and we haven't changed router recently.

On the TL-PA411 power LED is on and the Ethernet LED is blinking. The middle light (Powerline LED) is off.

On the TL-WPA4230-P the power LED is on and the WiFi fan symbol is flashing, but the Powerline and Ethernet LEDs are off.

I'm not sure how to find the IP/gateway address of my device?

Thanks for helping, I'd really like it just to work!

Laura 

Options
2020-03-04 06:53:09

@FHSJW 

Thanks for your valued reply. 

From your description, it seems that it is the unstable connection issue cause the powerline led turns off. 

At that time, please connect your computer to the LAN port on your main router which connected to the base unit, and then verify whether you can access internet from the main router. 

You can use the tpPLC utility to check the firmware version of the powerline adapters, if they are not the latest one, try to update them first. 

Besides, you mentioned it worked for a few days and then lost connection, may I know how often it happens? 

You can plug them into the same room and take some time to test the stability as well. 

Also, you said that the powerline adapters have been using several years, so hardware aging could be a possibility. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 11298

Replies: 3

Related Articles