Does the TL-WPA8630P work as an access point or range extender?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-25 11:16:04 - last edited 2020-03-11 07:18:23
Model: TL-WPA8630P KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ?

I'm looking to add another powerline adapter but like the idea of integrated wifi, but I'd like to know whether these devices act as range extenders or access points. I already have a range extender that I'd like to dispose of and have an all-in-one solution, but I kind of have a preference for an access point rather than another range extender.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Does the TL-WPA8630P work as an access point or range extender?-Solution
2020-03-11 06:13:06 - last edited 2020-03-11 07:18:23

@cosimo193 

Hi John, yes, the powerline adapters communicate with each other via the power line in your house, that is the reason why powerline environment matters. 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Does the TL-WPA8630P work as an access point or range extender?
2020-02-26 10:30:50

@cosimo193 

The powerline adapter is a different product. Usually it is sold as a kit, the main adapter connects to the main router by wired cable, and the second unit can be relocated to boost wifi signal or provide ethernet connection after they paired with each other. 

The model starts with TL-WPAxx supports wifi function, and all the powerline adapters have ethernet port.

May it help. 

Options
2020-02-26 11:45:29

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for the reply but it doesn't give me the answer. 

I already have multiple to-link powerline adapters, so know how they work. I also know the difference between a WiFi access point and a range extender. So the question (reworded) is, in the TL-WPA8630P kit, does the WiFi part act as an access point (i.e. clients connect to that and traffic is routed through the power lines) or a range extender (i.e. clients connect to it and the traffic is relayed wirelessly to the base WiFi device)? 

John

Options
2020-02-27 08:21:43

@cosimo193 

Okay, I got your point. 

With clients connected to the extender's wifi, the traffic will be forwarded to the main unit by power lines, and then it will be transmitted to the main router. 

May it help. 

Options
2020-02-27 11:20:05

@Kevin_Z 

I think that does help.

Just to be sure though, you are saying that, other than when you originally clone your wireless router's SSID, all the traffic between this device and your wireless router goes through wires (i.e. through the power lines to the 'master' powerline device, then ethernet cable into your wireless router). Is that correct?

Here's a tweaked image from your website; I believe you're saying the green line I've added, dashed for wireless and whole for wired, is what happens, rather than the red line.

Sorry if I seem to be asking the same thing over and over again, I just want to be sure that, if I buy this kit, it's going to be doing what I expect it to as I already have something that does the red dashed line and want something different.

John

Options
Re:Does the TL-WPA8630P work as an access point or range extender?-Solution
2020-03-11 06:13:06 - last edited 2020-03-11 07:18:23

@cosimo193 

Hi John, yes, the powerline adapters communicate with each other via the power line in your house, that is the reason why powerline environment matters. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2215

Replies: 5