tpPLC utility does not show any adapters

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-03 14:29:49
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Unknown

Hello all,

Hoping someone has an answer to this.   I have two PA9020Ps that are working find to provide internet/network to an out building on my property.   The link is fine and stable, but I cannot get the tpPLC utility to see either adapter.   I have done the following:

Disabled firewall and anti-virus (ESET).

Rebooted with firewall and anti-virus permanently disabled.

Uninstall tpPLC and reinstall with firewall and anti-virus disabled.

Untinstall tpPLC and WinPcap and resinstall with firewall and anti-virus disabled.

Tried the above on two computers, one Window7 and one Windows 10, both are hard wired (not WIFI) to one adapater, the other adapter is connected via powerline.

Hard reset both PA9020Ps by holding down button for 15 seconds.

Unplug and replug the adapters.

Retried above a few times.

Tried the android app on a tablet, but it looks like PA9020P is not supported.  

Note I have NOT done any pairing operation, the PA9020Ps are using default encryption or none, not sure which.  But I have not paired them for encryption.

Also the power line link is stable and working great the whole time.

The version of tpPLC is installed from the latest download:  PowerLineUtility_Win_180816.zip

Don't know the firmware version for the adapters, don't I need the utiltiy working to find out?

All the utility shows is the message in the attached screenshot:

Any help would be much appreciated.

File:
ScreenHunter_179 Mar. 03 07.21.jpgDownload
Options
4 Reply
Re:tpPLC utility does not show any adapters
2020-03-04 06:29:09

@Macdog 

What is the led status of the TL-PA9020Pkit? Please ensure that the powerline led is on on both units. 

You can hold the pair button for 1s to pair them or you can use the tpPLC utility to pair them. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/258/ 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1615/

It seems that the powerline adapter does not work, the PC failed to obtain valid IP address from it, that is why you cannot see any adapters. Try to pair them first and then verify whether it works. 

Note: The base unit need connects to the main router by wired cable to make the powerline network work. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-04 14:34:52

@Macdog Commiserations on buying a tp-link power adapter (as well). This utility sucks - neither on Mac, on an iPhone nor on a Windows PC that is connected (just) by a TL-PA9020 but the tpPLC utility can't see it (or anything else on my network).

The utility on my iPhone can see the WPA4220 (sometimes) but I can't update firmware or anything else.

I have five of these devices and I think they're going in the bin.

Macdog wrote

Hello all,

Hoping someone has an answer to this.   I have two PA9020Ps that are working find to provide internet/network to an out building on my property.   The link is fine and stable, but I cannot get the tpPLC utility to see either adapter.   I have done the following:

Untinstall tpPLC and WinPcap and resinstall with firewall and anti-virus disabled.

Tried the above on two computers, one Window7 and one Windows 10, both are hard wired (not WIFI) to one adapater, the other adapter is connected via powerline.

Note I have NOT done any pairing operation, the PA9020Ps are using default encryption or none, not sure which.  But I have not paired them for encryption.

The version of tpPLC is installed from the latest download:  PowerLineUtility_Win_180816.zip

Don't know the firmware version for the adapters, don't I need the utiltiy working to find out?

Macdog wrote

Hello all,

Options
2020-03-04 14:48:05

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for replying to my post.   Yes both units have the powerline LED on.  As I mentioned in my post, the powerline link is working fine, but the tpPLC utility does not find either TL-PA9020P unit.   I did pair the units with the buttons and that is working fine as well
Here is my setup

[PC]<---1000BaseT--->[TL-PA9020P]<---House Wiring--->[TL-PA9020P]<---1000BaseT--->[Router]<---cable--->[Internet]

All the connections are wired by cable, the PA9020P does not have any WIFI.   

In our reply you mentioned " the PC failed to obtain valid IP address from it"  I was unaware that the TL-PA9020P had it's own IP address, I thought it worked as a simple layer 2 Ethernet switch.   Perhaps I can access the TL-PA9020P using it's own IP address?

I want to use the tcPLC utility to monitor the units and update firmware if required.

Thanks and best regards.

Options
2020-03-06 07:48:56

@Macdog 

Hello, as you know, the TL-PA9020P is a base unit without wifi function, there is no web UI available for the base units. 

And I understand that you want to use the tpPLC utility to monitor the powerline adapters. 

First, please ensure that you can access internet from the TL-PA9020P with your computer connected to it. 

Please confirm that your computer obtain IP address automatically, no static IP. Here is the instruction to check IP address: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/

Besides, you can reset the TL-PA9020Pkit and re-pair them with the tpPLC utility, it should work then. 

May it help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3591

Replies: 4

Related Articles