RTSP over VLC does't work with Tapo C200

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-13 15:07:51 - last edited 2020-03-20 07:02:22
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with the Tapo C200. It isn't possible for me to get a stream via VLC.

I use the URL "rtsp://testcam:welcome@192.168.1.124:554/stream1"

And I recive the error: "Unable to open 'rtsp://testcam:welcome@192.168.1.124:554/stream1"

The username and pw are correct because I receive a stream via ONVIF in iSpy.

The path on iSpy for ONVIF is "http://192.168.1.124:2020/onvif/device_service".

As I want to get a stream into OBS (without window capture of iSpy) I would prefer to get the rtsp stream to work.

I tried it also at another machine and VLC gave me a few more informations about the error:

live555 error: Failed to connect with rtsp://192.168.1.124:554/Stream1

satip error: Failed to setup RTSP session

Any suggestions?

Thanks and best regards

Franz

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:RTSP over VLC does't work with Tapo C200-Solution
2020-03-19 19:03:23 - last edited 2020-03-20 07:02:22

@Stella.Q 

now it works. Maybe a restart of the computer solved the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Franz

Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:RTSP over VLC does't work with Tapo C200
2020-03-19 06:58:07

@Fralex 

Hi Franz,

If you can use iSpy to stream the video, the camera's account and IP address should be correct, but you can double-check. 

When using VLC to stream the video, you can go to Media--Stream--Network, add the URL and test. 

When using OBS, add a VLC video source, then add the URL and test.

We did the same test and both software is working.

Good day.

Options
Re:RTSP over VLC does't work with Tapo C200-Solution
2020-03-19 19:03:23 - last edited 2020-03-20 07:02:22

@Stella.Q 

now it works. Maybe a restart of the computer solved the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Franz

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-03-20 07:01:30

@Fralex 

Hi Franz,

Glad to hear that it works, congrats.^_^

If need any further help, just let us know.

Good day

Options
2020-10-22 05:45:13

Hi,

If someone can help me please.

I'm having trouble playing the cctv on my laptop. It was working before but until 2 days ago, it stopped. I'm not sure what happened, and whenever I try to view it on my vlc player, I get the "connection failed" message

Since it was working before, I know I followed the instructions correctly. Using this format -

For a 1080P (1920*1080) stream: rtsp://username:password@IP Address:554/stream1

I already re-started the cctv and the laptop, so I'm not sure what went wrong

Please can someone assist.

Thank you

Options
2020-10-27 07:12:23

@BrightLight99 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

For your case, could you please help me check the following information:

1. What is the model number of your home router?
  2. Are you still able to live view from local LAN or remotely from the Tapo APP?
  3. Have you checked if the IP address on the Tapo C200 has changed or not?
  4. On the computer with VLC player installed, are you still able to ping the Tapo C200
  5. And is there any change recently, like a new device joining the network, or a firmware update?

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-11-07 01:31:58

@Brook 

Hi. I´m having a similar problem. I can access my C200 using the Tapo app on my cell phone. I would like however to access the RTSP stream from VLC Player for Mac v3.0.11.1 on my laptop or using VLC Player on my phone.

In VLC I´ve added a network source with the URL: rtsp://username:password@IP_ADDRESS:554/stream1 to get the 1080P stream.

When I hit enter I get a login dialog box asking for username and paassword, even though I have specified them in the URL. When I enter the username and password the dialog resets and asks again and again, and ultimately says connection failed, check the log. I checked the log and can´t make much sense of the error messages.

Some info: I can ping the camera from my laptop. Both the laptop and the C200 have 192.168.2.x addresses so they´re on the same network. Because this network is a guest wifi network and my router has some restrictions about devices talking to other devices on the guest network, I tried deleting the camera from the Tapo app and readding it on my main wifi network. Now both devices are on the same 192.168.1.x network and the result is the same. I get porompted for username and password again and again and eventually it fails out.

I´ve tried username as my email address and as my email address minus the domain (blahblah and blahblah@something.com). I can log into this TP-LINK forum with that username password combo as well as in the Tapo app. But it won´t work for the rtsp stream connection in VLC.

I didn´t try ISpy because of its various dependencies that I didn´t want to install. I installed OBS and was thoroughly confused on my first attempts.

VLC fails similarly on both my laptop and on my phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Options
2020-11-09 02:58:50

@sescal 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

We would like to follow up on your case via email and ask the senior engineers for more advice.

Please have a check of your email box later.

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-11-22 07:20:47

@sescal I've had the same issues, the only thing that worked for me was to dumb down the security, basically using some simple credentials worked. I'm not really relaxed of having my camera streamed outside of my network with a simple username and password, what I mean by simple is a username and password of only lowercase letters, haven't tried including numbers to see if it works, but using a combination of uppercase, lowercase letters, numbers and special characters failed every time. This means that using password managers is out of the question. So in order for my stream to work from outside and using an dynamic dns, with internal port forward configured on my router, my link looks like this rtsp://simpleuser:simplepass@noip.ddns.net:554/stream1

Options
2020-12-12 23:22:14

@Brook 

Hi. I´m having a similar problem. I can access my C200 using the Tapo app on my cell phone. I would like however to access the RTSP stream from VLC Player or OBS.

In VLC I´ve added a network source with the URL: rtsp://username:password@10.0.0.136:554/stream1 to get the 1080P stream.

When I hit enter nothing happens.

when the URL is : rtsp://username:password@cameraIP:554/stream2

I get a Still image of the camera and am able to hear the audio but no movement unles i manually refresh. this only happens in VLC, in OBS i still receive no results.

I´ve tried various usernames and passwords in the camera account settings with no change.

I didn´t try ISpy because of its various dependencies that I didn´t want to install.

there are no results no matter what computer I try as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Options
2021-01-16 22:00:00

Hi !

i try rtsp stream with VLC player.

Login box apear on screen, i have correct user name and correct password, but login box appear one more time. 

I enter the username and password again, the phenomenon repeats itself, it asks for my username and password again ... Can this problem be solved somehow?

Sorry for my bad english.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 21007

Replies: 14