AX10/AX1500 router keeps reboot randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX10/AX1500 router keeps reboot randomly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
78 Reply
Re:AX10/AX1500 router keeps reboot randomly
2020-04-29 16:52:14

@brother3093 I have the same issue, which i reboots randomly and it is anoying. adding fix public IP or disabling the smart connect is probably a work arround but it doesnt fix the issue permanently. Im suspecting there is a bug on their OS. technically it should work if it is dynamic IP or static IP and features of smar connect should work accordingly as they added that on feature based. 

talk to technical support they say the router is defective and they will rma it. having said that i dont think it is device itself but more on the coded they have.

Options
2020-04-30 23:16:28

A fixed IP address does not stop the random reboots.  Mine rebooted today.  The last reboot was 7 days ago.  Very strange and verry annoying.  I don't see anything else odd on my network.

Options
2020-05-01 03:35:26

@Paul_S 

Made this change the day you recommended it. Since then, i have not noticed any reboots.

Options
2020-05-01 05:16:18

@SANSd20 

I haven't noticed a reboot since I gave him the fixed IP (5 days ago)... 

A firmware update could be released by Tp-Link to fix this random reboot problem !!! Mainly because it is not a low-end router, as it is in their marketing !!!

Options
2020-05-16 01:33:54

I am having the same issue of reboots up to several times a day.  Just got this router a week or so ago.

Options
2020-05-16 12:18:43

I also am having this issue.

Seems to happen randomly, different times of the day.  Log files show no activity out of the ordinary - the router reboots completely.

I suspect it has to do with the router overheating, because high throughput seems to be a specific trigger as well.

Options
2020-05-16 13:02:24

@Zenjamin 

I suspect temperature also.  I have two units, a couple months ago, both were exhibiting reboots.  Since we turned on the air conditioning for the year, I have not seen any reboots.  An IR temperature device shows temperatures as high as 120F in an ambient room temperature of 75F.  The hottest spot is on the bottom of the unit.  My other unit only reaches about 105F and typically runs about 98F.  It is mounted vertically on a stand that permits free flow of air.  I have also noticed that the temperature increases with traffic.  I have to observe them for a few more weeks until I can say for sure.  I hope to record the temperature next time one reboots.

TP-Link replaced one of my units on May 4.  It has not spontanously reebooted since then, however that is also about when we turned on the air conditioning.  It is also the one mounted vertically.

There are so many variables it is not easy to draw any conclusions.  For info, the replacement unit date code is November 2019.  The other unit purchased months ago has a date code of July 2019 which was the same as the one TP-Link replaced.

Reference date code: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/replacement-warranty/

Options
2020-05-24 11:49:27

Hey I'm also having the same issue right now, random reboots and then sometimes the router even crashes all together :/ very disappointing

Options
2020-05-24 14:39:32

@MarMarHoosk 

Attempt the below, one at a time, to observe the outcome:

• Feel the router, if the router is hot or lots of heat coming out, use a fan to cool the router, a regular fan or USB fan is fine.
  • Set the WiFi Transmit Power to low (if the setting is currently set to high), and see if this helps with the reboot.
  • Turn the WiFi off completely and feel the difference of the heat output and observe router stability.

I discovered that as the WiFi Transmit Power is set to high, the router consumes more power and produce more heat, possibly causing instability and reboot. I hope the above helps with troubleshooting the issue. Do reply to let the community know.

Options
2020-05-24 14:40:14

@Paul_S 

Attempt the below, one at a time, to observe the outcome:

• Feel the router, if the router is hot or lots of heat coming out, use a fan to cool the router, a regular fan or USB fan is fine.
  • Set the WiFi Transmit Power to low (if the setting is currently set to high), and see if this helps with the reboot.
  • Turn the WiFi off completely and feel the difference of the heat output and observe router stability.

I discovered that as the WiFi Transmit Power is set to high, the router consumes more power and produce more heat, possibly causing instability and reboot. I hope the above helps with troubleshooting the issue. Do reply to let the community know.

Options
Related Articles