MAC whitelist for just one WIFI network on Archer VR600?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-29 12:48:38 - last edited 2020-03-30 07:02:15
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all!

I just got an Archer VR600 router and have setup main and guest WIFI networks.

I've also set up a MAC whitelist for my main WIFI network. It turns out though, that this whitelist is applied to the guest WIFI network as well (!), which defeats the purpose of a guest network for me.

How can I enable a MAC whitelist for just one of the router's WIFI networks? It was possible in my previous TP-LINK router, but I can't find the option in this one.

Thanks,
Mike

Options
7 Reply
Re:MAC whitelist for just one WIFI network on Archer VR600?
2020-03-30 07:31:29

@Mike5555 

Hello, did you set up Parental Control on the modem? This setting will limit the device that connects to the main network or guest network. You can tell us more details then we will check whether there is a workaround.

Have a good day.

Options
2020-03-30 08:24:35

@Mike5555 

Hey!

Unless the controls are on by default, then no, I don't use Parental Controls.

Options
2020-03-30 09:00:53

@Mike5555 

Hello, the access control on Archer VR600 applies to main network and guest network both, which we would forward your request to our product department. And if you want to limit some devices accessing internet, you can use parental control. 

And you can change the wireless settings, including wifi name and password to give it a go. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-30 12:52:08

@Mike5555 

Hi Mike, that MAC white/blacklist thing is virtually useless tbh and can make you more insecure overall, I would as Kevin and Stella suggest use the parential controls side of things to achieve what you want,

On the whitelist thing if you have a read up on it it's like locking a vault with a bike lock in effect and offers a menu of MAC addresses 24/7 to whoever is able to view your network, only time it's handy is to blacklist a pest that you know you don't want on your network and even then if the pest is persistent they will just attempt to join with a different MAC be it another device or a spoofed MAC, hth.

Options
2020-03-30 16:55:42

@Mike5555 

That's a good point about that MAC list being available to the atacker...

The thing is, I just want to have two networks. One for my stuff and one for guests. My network should be secure - nontrivial password, MAC filtering (or something better?), no throttling etc.

The guest network OTOH, should be protected by password, but that's it really. If possible, I'd like it to have lower priority / speed cap or something.

Can this be done with the current firmware of Archer VR600?

Options
2020-03-30 20:57:36

@Mike5555 

Yeah that's easy enough to configure,

1 - QOS turn on,

2 - In guest section set a password, enable WPA2 and AES settings and at the top select AP isolation, that will stop anyone on those bands connecting to each other, ensure that the other options to stop guests being on the main network etc are configured to disallow any access permissions,

3 - In guest section select QOS and select high medium or low to suit,

4 - Use the local admin function to allow only one device to access the management page of the router, do this by typing in the MAC of the one device you want to play God, can be any device you own and it will then be the only device that doesn't get a Forbidden 404 message when trying to logon,

HTH.

Options
2020-06-26 16:31:14
Hi Mike5555 I have the exact same issue too, with my Archer VR2800 though! I just want to whitelist whatever device I want (to my opinion spoofing a MAC address requires bypassing the WPA wireless encryption and then sniffing the traffic to identify a valid MAC, which is not a case that a low or medium level hackers can easily exploit) and keep my guest network free for my guests. So I'm going to be asking the same thing from the TP-Link product team too and I hope they'll listen.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1182

Replies: 7

Related Articles