TD-W9970 visibility between wired and wireless

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-02 22:16:41 - last edited 2020-04-03 05:42:20
Model: TD-W9970  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 0.2 v0076.0 build 170919 Rel 61201n

Hi. Apologies if this has been answered before but I couldn't find an answer.

My home network has a number of TP Link adaptors, dumb and wifi, all linked to a TP Link router.

Router setting are default, so no firewall enabled. Also, client isolation is not set.

If I connect my desktop computer to the network using the router WiFi, I can see other wireless devices (laptop, printer) on my network, but not my Humax media server on a wired (Powerline) connection

If I connect using a powerline AV600 via ethernet, I can see alll devices on the network, including the Humax, regardless of how they connect.

If i connect via the AV600 wireless (cable unplugged), I can also see all devices.

It seems traffic through the router's WiFi is not reaching the wired network, connected via one of the router's ethernet ports/powerline adaptor.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks

Paul

Options
10 Reply
Re:TD-W9970 visibility between wired and wireless
2020-04-03 05:42:11 - last edited 2020-04-03 05:42:20

@Paul4256 

Hi, Paul, what is the model number of the AV600? It starts with TL-WPAXXX. You can find it on the back panel. 

With Humax media server connected to the AV600 by wired cable, please check its IP address and gateway. And please ping it from the local desktop which is connected to the main router. 

Besides, try to connect a computer to the AV600 by wired cable and verify whether it can be detected by other local devices. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-04-03 10:02:40

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin.

Thanks for your reply.  The AV600 is a 4220(UK) so pretty up to date. The Humax is connected to the home network via a dumb (non wifi) PA-211.

Perhaps I need to clarify the network a little better.....

The router is at one end of my house next to the incoming phone line master socket.  It connects to the internal wiring via a PA4020 500 mb/s.

The Humax is in the lounge, some distance away so is connected via the PA-211.

The computer I am testing with is in another part of the building some distance from the router, though it can connect directly to the router wifi if I want it to, but I prefer to use a wired connection using the 4220. The main benefit of the 4220 is it extends the coverage of my wifi significantly. The computer has both ethernet and wifi adaptors so I can test various combinations of connection -

1). router wifi only (cable unglugged)

2). 4220 wifi only (cable unplugged) 

3). 4220 cable only (wifi adaptor off).

In test (1) I cannot see the Humax or connect/ping to it via ip address.

In test (2) & (3) I can see & talk to the Humax.

Thinking about it overnight, I realised tests (2) & (3) are basically the same thing as once the wifi traffic hits the 4220, it then becomes no different to a wired connection to it, so no great surprise the results are the same.

It really looks like something in the router is preventing wifi traffic crossing to the ethernet port and then out to the wired network.

Got me stumped.

Paul

Options
2020-04-03 10:10:43
quick thought... wondering if the router has got wired & wifi connected devices separated into different VLANs? Don't know if the 9970 supports VLANs, and can't see anything obvious in the management screens, but we used them a lot at work to separate data & VOIP traffic and it would result in the issue I have.
Options
2020-04-04 03:40:32 - last edited 2020-04-04 03:41:40

@Paul4256 

Hi,

Just a little bit of info on the Powerlines, if you've previously had them working then this is unlikely to be the issue, however they work by using your ring main as Cat cable which can catch you out if ones plugged into a different circuit from the other, example is PL 1 is on downstairs socket ring, PL 2 is on socket upstairs ring, to rule this out connect both to different downstairs sockets and test, basically they might not be able to talk to each other due to physical isolation, hth.

Options
2020-04-04 07:32:09
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I don't think there is a physical blockage like that because the scenario I have if that things work perfectly when using the wired network (ie Cat5 into Powerlines at each end) but not when the PC is connected via the router's wifi. Still think the issue must be traffic routing within the router somehow.
Options
2020-04-04 13:54:51

@Paul4256 

From what I can gather from your original post the issue is something else not being visible on your PC over wifi that is visible when hardwired by cable?

If this is the case I think you'll need to search a Win 10 forum for Network & Sharing functionality/problems, from what I read from you it screams out that Windows is the thing stopping you rather than your router, hth.

Options
2020-04-04 14:25:54 - last edited 2020-04-04 14:29:06

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I am not convinced it is Windows because, referring to my original post, I can see the Humax if using a wired (wifi switched off on PC) or wireless (ethernet unplugged) connection if I connect to the AV600. If I only connect via the router WiFi, I cannot. Don't understand how it could be Windows if it works using the WiFi on the AV600.

Unless... there is a difference somehow between the WiFi on the AV600 and on the W9970?

Options
2020-04-04 14:42:54

@Paul4256 

You'll have to forgive me here Paul as I'm not following exactly what the problem is, call it lost in translation of the internet in text rather than two people directly talking to each other in the same room so to speak,

I listed the Windows network thing because when connected through a PC through the Ether cable Windows behaves very differently to when it's being used over wifi needing you to give it permissions that you don't when hardwired,

This server box of yours, is it working through a PC USB or do you have it plugged into the router USB port?, if it's in the router then I'd say there is a config problem in the settings for the USB port, the ones where you set up another username password etc to use USB and printers directly in the router,

I don't really know what to advise past this tbh but if the problem is always over wifi it would suggest a configuration issue either with Windows Networking or in the router configuration, or maybe even in the Humax settings, you'll need to exhaust all possibilities for all 3 devices tbh but as I said if it's a wifi issue then it sounds like one of them is playing gatekeeper on you where when wired it's saying ok we trust you come in, hth.

Options
2020-04-04 16:22:25

@Hannibal_Lack  Hi. Thanks, the Humax is connected via a tp link adaptor to the ring main as it is quite a distance from the router. Im coming round to the idea of the router wifi doing some kind of filtering but not admitting it. Just one of those irritating things, I guess. Thanks for your help.

Options
2020-07-03 15:43:53

@Paul4256 

Hi,

We currently have a borrowed PC for some 'at home' work. Noticed another example of the problem... the PC (Windows 10) is on a wired TP link PA211 device, communicating to the TP link W9970 router through a TP link 4020P (non-wifi) via our house wiring & out to the Internet.  Separately, elsewhere (too far away for the signal from our router to reach) we have a wifi enabled TP link AV600 device with a Canon printer which talks to it using the wifi. Printer has no ethernet port. The PC does not see the printer in windows explorer 'network' and cannot print. I plugged in a USB wifi dongle to the PC linked to the W9970 router, and now magically it can see the printer and prints pefectly.

So it appears fairly clear there is some kind of routing issue here.

This works:    PC WiFi ---> Router WiFi ----> house wiring------> Remote WiFi ---------> Printer

This doesn't:  PC Ethernet ---> house wiring ------>  Router  ----> house wiring------> Remote WiFi ---------> Printer

A thought.... in the second scenario, I have made the assumption that all traffic goes to the router via my wiring then back out again to the relevant device.

This should work as the router has the WiFi address table, so know the ip of the printer. 

Is it possible that the 4020P the router is plugged in to is actually stopping that traffic and sending it directly out to the remote TP Link? After all, they are paired so their whole purpose in life is to talk to eachother. If so, then there would be no way the originating PC would know about the printer?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1306

Replies: 10